Notices

The Small Stuff Weekender Thread 06-09 October 2016

Old 10-06-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
The thread is so slow, it is so disappointing
what do you reckon would restore it to health, Sao?

D
Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

on a happier note I've been reminded it's Canadian Thanksgiving:

D
Thanksgiving?!?
That is fantastic!!

I am thankful for my silly dog and my crazy cats; for the rain that is falling outside right now; for my sobriety, of course; and for the fabulous family of Weekenders and SR folk!!

I am also thankful that there is only one day left in this particular work week.

Be well, people!
Old 10-06-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
EndGame

He also writes:

“There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.”
― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

I struggled with that for a long time (still not sure I seek problems but I can take good from them, lol).

The gift of my problems this week was to remind me of the good things in my life...and to remind me that others in this world are *really* suffering.

Whatever I can do to help them is effort better served than me feeling sorry for myself.

More rambling, I know, but that's where my head's at today - have a great sober weekend ahead guys!

D
If it's true that we seek problems for the reasons described, we most certainly take the scenic route, and we have a very unique way of avoiding them before we get there.

Another way to look at it is that if we don't face our problems, then they'll eventually come after us with a vengeance. But that's just me.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly expended the greater part of my energy running away from problems for most of my life...

but now I've assumed the mantle of adulthood, I do get a certain frisson of self satisfaction/enjoyment/relief when I solve something tricky

D
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I tend to stick my head in the sand too often still for comfort and then am left scrambling to take care of stuff at the last minute. It's a problem of my own making. And as endgame points out, it sometimes comes back with a vengeance.

São I'm glad your meeting wasn't too bad. I hate when people do that. You think it's this major thing and the anxiety kicks in and it's absolutely nothing Major.

I have had a busy day running from here to there. The small stuff was sweated. I went to the wrong location for son's doctor appointment. The doctor has two offices, three or so miles apart. I arrived at the wrong office ten minutes early for the appointment only to be directed to the other office. Rushing in stop and go traffic at rush hour in the rain. We got there eventually. All was fine.

But now, bedtime. It's almost Friday. And I get a three day weekend. Awesome. I keep forgetting that
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone
7.40am and I am already at work, ugh.So glad it's Friday

what do you reckon would restore it to health, Sao?

D
I don't have the answer for that but i hope it will get back to rude health in due course
Old 10-07-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Morning guys xx
Old 10-07-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Morning all,

A pretty good week by all accounts and looking forward to a nice and relaxed weekend.

New found interest over recent weeks / months of Classical music, always enjoyed certain pieces but lately I'm rarely listening to anything else - ditched the talk radio channels when driving, don't really need to listen to people whining about this and that - certainly finding myself feeling much calmer - even my driving has taken on a more sedate manner - no longer am I getting worked up over nothing.

Just about to book tickets for a concert at a music hall in the centre of town - somewhere I've never been and to be honest didn't envisage that this time last year it would be somewhere I would ever attend, it's for the "Space Spectacular" music from the films etc, indoor light show and fireworks - never really been a massive fan of sci fi films however always liked the music that accompanies them.

The concert actually falls on the weekend of 12th November which coincidentally will be 1 year since I stopped drinking - a great place with something most certainly new to me to celebrate a year and the new life that has been created - one that with acceptance I'm now thoroughly enjoying.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and take care if in the path of Matthew - a colleague and good friend of ours is over there with family on holiday and we've not heard anything from him for a couple of days now - fingers crossed all ok.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning!!!!!! (Or afternoon and evening )

Ready for a new friday here.

If fridays are your trouble spot like they are mine remember to change things up. Go home from work a different way so that bar or store are out of sight. Talk to people you might not talk to to break your minds patterns.

I have always been deeply routed in patterns. So much so when I first stayed sober my mind would want to do the same things even though I did not want to drink. So I had to retrain the mind and body to change.

But you know what? Its not only possible to do. Its probabable that if you try you will be able to change what you want to change. Feel the uncomfortable feelings. They cannot hurt you. They pass. Then you arrive at the other side. Where the balance is in your favor once again.

Welcome to your sober Friday. Speak up and ask for help when you need it. Break your old patterns.

K
Old 10-07-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Good morning!!!!!! (Or afternoon and evening )

Ready for a new friday here.

If fridays are your trouble spot like they are mine remember to change things up. Go home from work a different way so that bar or store are out of sight. Talk to people you might not talk to to break your minds patterns.

I have always been deeply routed in patterns. So much so when I first stayed sober my mind would want to do the same things even though I did not want to drink. So I had to retrain the mind and body to change.

But you know what? Its not only possible to do. Its probabable that if you try you will be able to change what you want to change. Feel the uncomfortable feelings. They cannot hurt you. They pass. Then you arrive at the other side. Where the balance is in your favor once again.

Welcome to your sober Friday. Speak up and ask for help when you need it. Break your old patterns.

K
Great advice Ken and it works too! I used to always do my weekend shopping on a Friday morning - a few bits of food and a lot more tins of beer or whatever. As Fridays is my 'iffy day', I now do my shopping on a Saturday morning, when temptation is over with for the week. A lot cheaper as well, without the liquid posion
Old 10-07-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Good strategy Zanna ,
I avoided shopping on friday evenings for a good 6 months to a year after quitting .
It wasn't going to be forever and i don't notice now but it was a worthwhile precaution at that time .

Weather sounds awful prayers to people caught up in all that . I know one of my american friends used to use it as an excuse to barricade themselves in and drink and drug ... how dangerous when you probably should have you wits about you ..

stay sober and you give yourself the best chance of dealing with the stuff that life dumps in your path .

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-07-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yes, best avoided Fridays for a while
Old 10-07-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all.

I am back to work on Monday, still have some cold "aftermath" but nothing too serious.

When I was walking from the doc I thought "Would it count sweating small stuff if I start freaking out because I still didn't have pay check and I am completely out of money?"

And just a moment later my paycheck came)

Have to make a budget now. I liven on about 2 bucks the last 3 day, so, I can do it. Not quite fun, of course.

I am also in two minds - would it be ok to resume my boxing workouts tomorrow or it's better to give myself a little bit more time to recover from cold. Kind of small stuff, but I miss workouts.

Have a great sober Friday, everyone!
Old 10-07-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing as a light workout in boxing, MB?

It was a pretty heavy cold that you had. You should probably take it easy for a few more days.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Gilmer!

I think that a "light boxing workout" is a kind of oxymoron)
Old 10-07-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon/evening, all.

MB, I am firmly in the "wait 'til you feel fully better" camp.

Very ready for Friday to be here. It's been a long week and I have all weekend to myself.

Take care, everybody. If you're new to sobriety, congratulations for making the best choice you'll always embrace.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Finally Friday, and I'm very thankful for that. It's been an absolutely crazy work week. Yesterday I had it in my head that something major I have a lot of work to do for was 2 weeks away, and I began to panic. Then, after the day was over, I realized it's 3 weeks away! Still need to really bust my butt, but at least there's a chance now that things will all be ok. What a relief.

I'm hoping anyone in the path of Matthew is faring well. It has been downgraded some, but it's still a very scary situation.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

MB, I'd wait and not overdo it. You don't want to go back to being so ill. Maybe go for a walk or light stretching if you need something.

RedAndy that sounds like a fun concert. I should try music. I've been listening to news radio too much.

Heading for the train. I'll catch up later.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I listen to talk radio all day at work. And in my car. And watch a lot of news at home. I need to stop that. It's depressing sometimes, and lord knows I could use a little less of that.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, weekenders, for you sound advice.

Marty - When I do some routine work I listen to podcasts - entertaining, educating, informative, not depressing. There are lots of them on any possible topic. You can download them in MP3 and listen at work.