Notices

The Small Stuff Weekender Thread 06-09 October 2016

Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

TGISF (Thank God It's Sober Friday). Hope everyone has a nice Friday and wakes up refreshed for Saturday.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh, good idea, MB!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning weekenders!

Marty, I had to stop watching /listening to the never ending news loop too! I was taking on worries that weren't mine and it was seriously messing with my newfound balance.

Rainy day here which is fine by me!
Xo
Old 10-07-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Hiya folks. Got a bit more sleep last night. Some appointments this morning and then it's home this afternoon because the kiddos have a half-day.

Dee and Sao, I don't know that we should equate the relative slowness of the thread nowadays with a lack of health or interest. For whatever reason, that "social hangout" facet of the thread that usually drove its rapid pace has fallen away somewhat over the past several weeks. I very much miss the social aspect of the thread, and I wish that some of those who used to post more regularly would return. But these things change and I understand that.

However, the core purpose of the thread--helping people (especially newcomers) through those first few weekends of sobriety--is still strong. We're still here to help each other through those hard hours on Friday and Saturday and Sunday, when the AV can be at its worst. That part hasn't changed.

On Wednesday (and going into the wee hours of Thursday morning), I was able to hammer out a settlement of a big case that I had going to trial in the first week of November. Huge stress and a lot of pressure, that now has been lifted. The temptation is very strong to let loose and celebrate this weekend. I wouldn't describe this as a craving, exactly. Instead, for the first time in a long time my AV is positively screaming in my ear: "YOU DESERVE THIS! YOU WORKED HARD AND DID A GREAT JOB! REWARD YOURSELF!" Yow. I'm really needing to work hard to beat it down. I expect I'll be checking in quite a bit this weekend to get through.

Anyway, peace to all you weekenders out there, wherever you might be.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

U75, I think the AV resurfaces from time to time, especially during the first year, when we've had a lot on our plates. And ... Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. You've had a very full week, some very late hours and some very high stakes (I'm assuming) for your client. The little bugger likes to rattle our cages when we go through phases like this.

You're doing great at your sobriety. Stay a little closer this weekend ... check out SR on your mobile phone. Those are the tools that help us weather storms.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening, 5.40 and I have just finished for the week, what joy.

Good to see you Mecanix

I hope you get a good concert ticket RedAndy

I have to be quick, just noticed I am at 12% charge
Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

U75, congratulations on hammering out that settlement. It's always nice when that happens. What isn't nice is that urge to celebrate the achievement. It's a good thing to think about and be prepared for. Like what if it HAD gone to trial? What would happen if the jury came back in your favor? What would happen if the jury (or judge) didn't come back in your favor? We always went out for drinks after winning/losing. Didn't matter which. It was the adrenaline rush.

I recently lost a jury trial and drowned my sorrows in going home to the kids and relaxing. Eating some ice cream. It was better than getting drunk for no reason.

Crazy golf tonight Sao?

Mid way through the work day. My brain won't focus but I'm going to give that a try. But that will mean looking away from the computer.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

For no particular reason:

Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on getting that settlement U75

I am going to Crazy Golf Ruby, thank you. As ever I was so tired when I got home that I thought of not going but as soon as I had a shower and ate I was raring to go
Old 10-07-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I usually feel that way at the end of the week, at the end of the work day. Tired and don't want to do anything. But once I eat something and relax, I feel much better. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hey friends!

Remember that guy I spoke about a few weeks ago? We went out twice and he was talking about marriage and I was wondering how to get rid of him without being too mean?

Well he texted me a few days later. I couldn't bring myself to tell him so I wrote back "Have a nice weekend" and left it at that. I was kind of hoping he would get the message by my silence.

So I didn't hear from him for about 2 - 3 weeks and thought "great, that's over". But I got a message at work today saying "I think you forgot me. Ok take care of yourself".

I was annoyed both at tone and sending me childish messsages when I was up to my eyes at work. I wrote back "well you did not text me for 3 weeks either so no need to send dramatic. childish messages saying "I think you forgot me". He just said "ok sorry".

I skipped all the way home and I was reminded of this scene from Friends. That was a great show in its day. You have to watch until Chandler bursts in!!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am off to bed, weekenders.

Stay safe, sober and sound.

Those who still live in Friday - have a great one)

See you.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders,

In the mood for some Vaughan Brothers this evening!!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Still living in Friday for another 35 minutes or so MB

A respectable 3rd place finish at Crazy Golf.

My youngest daughter and some of her work colleagues were ahead of us.

I usually don't acknowledge her in order not to cramp her style but she and her friends did speak to me, they work in the overpriced clothes and market stalls in Spitalfields and amongst other things they mentioned the clothing brand Von Dutch. I was able to tell them stuff about its founder Kenny Howard, a motorcycle mechanic (and sadly a fellow alcoholic )

There must be a blue moon tonight because me knowing something about fashion never happens. Daughter 2 in shock
Old 10-07-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reward was a hurdle for me too U75 but I soon thought of some healthy life affirming ways to reward myself, as well as ways to unwind that weren;t self destructive.

The more we change the more we grow and the less purchase the AV had, I reckon

Hope everyone's doing ok this weekend

today I am currently listening to: Ace and Paul doing an old Free cover

Old 10-07-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

congrats on 100 days lightning bug! big step...

MB, a light boxing workout? instead of hitting the heavy bag, hit the light bag?

well done U75 - celebrate by thanking yourself you can fall asleep without a drink... but if you really want to go big, get a bottle of POM juice and mix it with san peligrino water... really good

love the vaughn bros...

hope all are prepared for the weekend... one thing I learned after I got sober, there is a lot of time for myself on the weekends now... I mean, whole days, not 'waking up' at noon or one o'clock and start drinking again... learn to put that time to good use...
somebody mention blue moon?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think I'm doing ok. Other times I am not so sure.
I think I made a mistake at work today. Whether I will still have a job on Monday...I am not sure.
Which is a shame as I like my job.
I went to get a coffee with a colleague during the week. She asked me how things are going? I said I wasn't sure. She said "nah you are sorted". She said my doctor came into the office one day when I was out. He made a remark to her along the lines of "Tetra seems very happy now doesn't she?"

Every morning when I wake up I feel about 100 years old. I feel like an old woman. I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Every night I wake up several times for something.

Today was very busy. There was about over 50 people at the outpatient clinic. At least Friday is not my doctors clinic. You know it's a bad day when the receptionist - who is generally unflappable - came to our office to hide for a few minutes as she needed a break. There was a prisoner there - handcuffed to a policeman. I guess prisoners get sick as well.

I met a former colleague on the stairs and she also asked me how I'm doing? I said ok I think but it can be mental there. She said "Yeah I would expect so. You look really happy though".

My mom said the same thing - that I am glowing and it's nice to see me smiling.

I like my new life and hopefully I won't wreck it on myself. I can feel the old anxieties creeping in sometimes. I suppose it is hard to break the habits of a lifetime.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. ..I'm way behind on the thread. Maybe I can catch up tomorrow. I'm just really glad that it's Friday. No particular plans for the weekend, volunteer work Sunday along with football.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful sober Friday night. Hallelujah for hangover free Saturday mornings! ! See you then.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

My phone keeps logging out of SR. Frustrating.

I went to my Friday AA meeting and then home. Watching the Cubs play baseball. I'm not a big Cubs fan but I suppose city loyalty.

Sao, good job on the fashion info/crazy golf. That's pretty cool.

I'm heading to bed. Breakfast with an old friend. Then an AA meeting. Then shopping with my daughter who wants a mommy/daughter day.

See you all tomorrow. I'll have to bundle up in bed. Temps are dropping tonight. Not freezing but certainly cold.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Tetra, I hope you are able to relax a little this weekend, and that everything is okay with your job on Monday. Sounds like lots of people are noticing how happy you are, that is a good thing.