Notices

I'm not doing well

Old 11-25-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
I'm not usually the sharing type, but I'm not doing well today. I was in a car accident a few months ago, which required three surgeries in different parts of my body, and which I'm still recovering from.

I was told that the fracture in my ankle could lead to what is known as osteoporosis, where the bone essentially "dies" from lack of adequate blood supply. If that happens, I'm looking at an ankle fusion, which would mean another surgery, another recovery, and the loss of movement in my foot.

I had another follow-up today, and was told that I have poor blood supply in that ankle, and that I still cannot walk, because the bone could collapse. The other fractures are serious, but they should eventually heal. However, this one is completely up in the air, and I could permanently lose function and mobility.

As of right now, I cannot return to work, and if things do not improve, I might not be able to return to work at all, at least not the kind of work that I was doing. I honestly do not know how to process this potential catastrophe, since there is nothing I can do about it except to wait.

If ever there was a time to drink, this would be it, says the disgusting thing inside me that doesn't understand that the bone would definitely collapse if I drank. It doesn't care. It would cripple me for a drink. It has taken so much already, so why not take even more?

I'm not going to drink, or even take the pain medication (that thing would probably love that too!) -- but I'm not doing so well.
Sorry this has happened to you.....just stay sober drinking will make things worse.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Going through stuff too, my thoughts and prayers. PJ
Old 11-25-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

You OK Phoenix?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Yes'M. A quiet day- need to launch into not just being in my comfort zone tomorrow. See the world and do wild things (safe risks) - as told by my counsellor. First time I did - if interested anyone - check out C o March '16 today. No thoughts of drinking. Still playing around with art- learning as I go. My avatar is one of those 'goes'. Hoping all are doing ok. Just remember do not drink. Drinking is dumb.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Algorithm. Still hoping for the best for you tomorrow.

Positive energy coming your way from the Great Northwest.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Algo, I'm thinking of you and hoping you'll get some positive news...
Old 11-28-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Me too, Algo. Was thinking about you today.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Please let us know what you find out... we care...
Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Algorithm, I'm still hoping you received encouraging news.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Algorithm, I looked up what that means, very apt.
I hope your healing is going well, if it is not, I hope you are going well.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Progress!

Firstly, before I write anything else, I would like to thank everyone again for the kind words. This is a rare, devastating injury, and I have the most devastating complication associated with that injury. It really was very difficult for me to stay positive, and your kind words did help.

That said and out of the way, I went to see the orthopedic surgeon today, it looks better than last time. The bone appears to be regaining blood flow, and on the x-ray, it looked only 2/3 white (dead) this time, with 1/3 darker where the blood flow had returned. Interestingly, the darker part was right where I aimed the bone growth stimulator.

Ortho told me to increase usage of the bone stimulator to three times a day, from three different angles, which should cover most of the bone. He said I can start very minor weight bearing when I walk with the "boot" on and both crutches, and to come back in a month to get another set of x-rays. It's a negligible amount of weight-bearing, but I can't risk more yet, apparently.

It remains to be seen whether or not the rest of the bone comes back to life, as it broke clean in two originally, and there may be other problems later, such as arthritis, but it is certainly encouraging. I had resigned myself to more bad news or simply more waiting, to be honest, but I may yet make it.

No nicotine, no alcohol, and no painkillers beyond a minor amount for two weeks after discharge. The Beast threw everything but the kitchen sink at me these past four months, but I am certain that nicotine or alcohol would have guaranteed no progress whatsoever in this situation, both by limiting circulation, and by inhibiting bone growth.

I will never drink or use again, and I will never change my mind.

Thank you, everyone.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Such a great thing to hear today. You made my day. Now I can log off SR on a positive. (It's allllllllll about me.)

I hope that you continue to improve, and as bad as this has been, I'm reasonably sure it would have been so much worse if you had continued drinking. The bone issues are something that aren't discussed very often, but I saw a guy in an AA meeting in his forties who used a walker after having hip surgery - due to alcoholism.

whew!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
This makes me so happy! I'm so glad you got encouraging news!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Algorithm! I was hoping for good news. I know you'll do all you can, which is all you can do. Wishing you good luck!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm absolutely thrilled to read your update, Algorithm. Such fantastic news and extremely encouraging indeed. By your actions (and in-actions) you're providing the optimum conditions for the very best outcome possible
Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Fantastic Algorithm!! Great post!!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

So glad to hear this news!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hey Algo-thx for giving us this update. Very interesting and cool about the bone stimulater. I've never heard of that. I am happy you got some encouraging news.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to hear good news Algorithm

D
Old 12-09-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I can't take much more of this. I can't live like this.

I had a physical therapy re-evaluation. Another month gone, and not much improvement in range of motion, almost negligible. Basically, I couldn't walk even if they cleared me to do so, because my foot won't flex enough, on account of it being immobile for so long.

I don't have the strength to straighten it out, so I need the P/T people to do it, but they won't straighten it out, because the orthopedic surgeon didn't clear me to bear full weight yet. They are being cautious, and wasting time, waiting, instead of doing something.

I can't wait months for P/T to do their thing once I get cleared to bear weight. Everything needs to heal, and I need to return to work, or I will go completely insane. The spine fracture hasn't fused yet, but the metal is holding, so I will see how that feels once they let me walk.

They called from work, asked when I could return, and said not to worry about being able to return. I suppose there is that.

Quality of life is way down, though.