Notices

I'm not doing well

Old 10-11-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad that there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel for you, Algorithm. Wishing you peace and strength!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Algo, hang in there friend. This is hard right now and it's also painful. Thx for the warning....yeah....wear and tear on the body in whatever form does take it's toll. A guy from my group therapy had to undergo hip replacement surgery and he wasn't all that old so I asked him how he ended up needing that. He said it was alcoholism. He had to have a brief stint in physical rehab after the first hip. Then he had to go back and get the other hip replaced and then another brief stint in rehab. He's happy with the results now...but he kicks himself too.
-
It's hard to go through all that feeling like a waiting period. I remember that feeling after my first knee surgery; being on crutches for so long as the the pregnancy advanced. I was given a choice at the start: Wait until you have the baby and then get the knee surgery which would require at least six weeks of non-weight-bearing (how the heck are you supposed to be non-weight-bearing when you have a newborn and a toddler to take care of.) Or have the surgery now and hope to get back on your feet before the baby is due. Frankly, I didn't like either scenario. It meant I would use all my sick leave from work and not have much left over to have a decent maternity leave. And, this was simply NOT how I wanted to spend my pregnancy. But, what could I do? I got pretty depressed at first and I remember a breakthrough I had mentally of just needing to to take it one day at a time....which felt more like: "Hurry up and WAIT."

But I had ALL these worries. I was worried about getting blood clots after the surgery because pregnant women are more prone to blood clots and that's a big risk factor after surgery. The surgeon point blank told me, "We don't like to do surgery on pregnant women." Well, me neither!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

still wishing you well algorithm.
PT is not something I'd wish on anybody

D
Old 10-11-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

best wishes with the PT, Algo, and for continued healing.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That is a lot to deal with - my best thoughts your way.
I had a broken arm earlier this year. It healed then I broke another bone. You are right - you really have to appreciate good health and not take it for granted.
Good for you for staying sober. You've passed this test with flying colors.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Algorithm, I'm glad to hear you've progressed to PT, albeit painful, at least you're moving forwards. Better still, in two weeks the blood supply might have improved.

Wise words indeed, regarding our health. I found your earlier link, regarding impact of alcohol upon bones, a shocking revelation.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I'm one of those people who developed avascular necrosis in my hips due to alcoholism. I had both my hips replaced at 31 - I was only 8 months sober at the time.

It is what it is. I don't beat myself up over it. The surgery, recovery and PT were rough, but I got through it. I took my meds responsibly and told every single doctor I came into contact with that I was in recovery. I'm basically as good as new now, except I'm not allowed to run. But I never enjoyed that anyway.

Good luck in your physical recovery. Don't be afraid to reach out for support, be it here or in real life. Personally, I relied a lot on the AA community after my surgery. People brought meetings to me when I was in physical rehab and at my apartment. People called to check in on me. Community support definitely helped me get through it without drinking.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone, especially those who have posted about your own experiences. I haven't received any bad news about my other injuries yet, one of which is in my spine, so I'm trying to stay positive. It's difficult, though, since I never imagined anything like this.

The spine fracture sounds more serious, but they haven't told me to expect anything bad there yet, and to just wait until it heals, so I'm actually more calm about that. For me, no bad news is good news.

If ever there were a time to get drunk, though, this would be it, which is partly why I posted this in newcomers. No "coping" and "dealing" for me through all of this -- not even with a cigarette.

I don't know how I will come out on the other side yet, but for anyone else struggling, know that you are probably much stronger than you think.

Make good choices.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I hope your healing well.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How's it going Algo?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
How's it going Algo?
I'm a little anxious, to be honest.

I've been going to P/T, but no weight bearing allowed yet. It's been about three months, but they gave me a 70% or higher chance of the bone dying, so they are being cautious and following protocol. It's a rare injury, apparently. Less than 3% off all foot fractures, and less than 1% of all fractures overall.

I have another follow-up tomorrow for that, to see if the ankle bone is healing properly enough to allow weight on it. I'm assuming that they will not give me the go-ahead to start walking outright, but perhaps they will allow partial weight if they see everything is going okay. This would allow P/T to progress, and the real pain to start.

Of course, they could just tell me to stay off it for another month and come back, but since they told me to start P/T, I am hoping that they think perhaps I might just beat the odds. It all depends on what they see on the x-rays and other scans, however. I will know more tomorrow.

Thank you for asking!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
quat

All I can do is wish you luck and sincere best wishes, good thing you're not in show business(?) , or it would sound callous
Old 10-24-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Algorithm, I do hope that you receive positive news tommorrow. Recalling my bone breaks/fractures, they are dynamic and often heal remarkably better than the experts expected.

Please keep us updated.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sending you some man hugs, I hope it works out okay for you.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm hoping for the best for you, Algorithm.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wow, Algo, That sounds complex....I'll send you some healing vibes and hope you get some good news. Do let us know how it's going, 'k?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
So sorry for all that you are going through. I am sending positive thoughts that you will have some good news tomorrow. You are an inspiration in so many ways, especially in that you do not allow even a devastating situation like this to be used as an excuse to turn to substances. You are putting out messages of hope to others, even through this extremely difficult time. That says so much about you.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

(((((Algorithm))))
Old 10-25-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Still wishing you the best Algorithm.

Sometimes unfortunately the road back to full health can be a long one.

I'm really glad you wanted to share that we can get through things like this without comprising our beliefs/recovery - I totally agree...and thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I received some bad news today. The talus bone in my ankle has avascular necrosis. It is dying from a lack of adequate blood supply. They showed me the dead parts on the x-rays, and they look almost white from the calcium in comparison to the rest of the bones that have blood flow, which look darker. I was told no weight bearing yet, and to come back in six weeks.

They said that I would have to start using a bone growth stimulator at home to see if it helps. Naturally, I asked what the odds are of this condition reversing at this point, since I saw no purpose in waiting six weeks otherwise. They said 50%, but that if I needed further surgery, that surgery would be easier with some bone still intact. It seemed difficult even for the doctors to relay the news.

I will now be waiting six weeks to see if my bone miraculously stops dying. I know I need to keep fighting somehow, but I do not know how to fight something like this. All I can do is wait, and hope for the best.

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.