Notices

I'm not doing well

Old 12-09-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This is a tough row to hoe, Algorithm. I'm sorry that it is so dammed difficult. Frustration and inactivity are maddening, I am sure. I hope the developments on the bone rehab continue so that the rest of your recovery can get underway.
Hang in there, I'm pulling for ya.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hang on, buddy.

I'm guessing you wouldn't turn down a prayer for healing right now(?) I'm sending one up regardless. Couldn't hurt.

We're here.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not being able to get around easily can be very demoralising. I hope you move on from that point ASAP Algo.

D
Old 12-09-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Algorithm, I can understand how incredibly frustrating this must be. The times I've been laid up or immobilized have driven me nuts. I do hope and pray that your healing progresses soon and you're able to get back to your work and activities.

In the meantime, I'm grateful for all the helpful, thoughtful posts you've made on SR. You've helped a lot of folks, I think, and I'm glad you're here.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm sorry you're going through this I agree with tursiops. You've helped so many people! I'm hoping hard that you'll get some mobility back soon.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The immobility can be a real setup for depression Algo. I suggest you ask for a psychiatric consult to rule this out. I know I've suggested this before but I think it might be very beneficial if you have not yet looked into this.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hang tough, A! You've beat tougher stuff than this, you can do it!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Algo-hang tight bud.... not giving up on you..... with you all the way bud...don't give up!!
Old 12-12-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Algorithm, it must be so frustrating, lack of mobility and progress towards it. I'm glad to hear that your employment isn't at risk.

I recall an appointment at a fracture clinic. The previous orthopaedic surgeon planned to remove the non-weight bearing leg/foot cast and replace it with a weight-bearing orthopaedic boot . I also had a wrist/hand cast and wasn't allowed to use crutches. I was so excited, only to be advised by a new orthopaedic consultant, that he'd prefer to be conservative and replace a non-weight bearing cast! I was crest-fallen and he explained that continued immobility now, would almost guarantee a much improved prognosis, when compared with the standard route.

As it happened he was right and so perhaps, you'll also have a better long-term outcome because of your surgeons conservative advice.

I too gain enormously from your presence on SR and your thoughtful, informative and insightful posts. .

Sending you positive vibes and thoughts and a big.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I have never been through anythign like you are, but you give me strength with your strength.

Keep fighting the good fight, that no way no matter what happens you did your best. Which is all we got.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
As it happened he was right and so perhaps, you'll also have a better long-term outcome because of your surgeons conservative advice.
I hope you're right, Tatsy, because this is bloody demoralizing, and not fun at all. Others have told me to be patient as well, but I'm a bit of a workaholic, and I feel like I am wasting away.

I can now almost completely understand how people can get addicted to pain killers when they go through something like this, though.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

After reading PhoenixJ's story about being in the burn unit for months, I feel kind of "weak" for even worrying about this, but I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow afternoon with the orthopedic surgeon.

I do not want to lose the use of my foot, or I won't be able to return to my job at all. That bone had better have come back to life, so I can put some real weight on it and see how much work I have to do to start walking.

I need some good news.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I hope you get good news. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon. Sending positive energy!
Old 12-26-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

weak? Nah

I don't think we need to have some kind of hierarchy of suffering in order to post

Hope you get good news

D
Old 12-26-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sending you hope and bone-healing thoughts....

So, so sorry you're having to go through all this.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Pain sucks. I get advice from a pain clinic- helps. Prayers.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Bone-health juju coming your way.

Your issues are important! Never feel like they aren't. This is some serious stuff and we care about you.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good luck with your appointment. Although not the same, I just had knee surgery, and I am trying to adjust to not being able to move as easily and often as I would like.

Hopefully with some PT and your doctor you are able to get back to where you want to be with your foot.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Algorithm - I'm sorry, I somehow missed your first post on this back in October.

I'll go back and read it all through, but wanted to let you know I feel for you.
And like Dee says, there ain't no pain hierarchy here. Including being immobilised - for ages. That in itself is incredibly hard for anyone. people who say otherwise are just trying to be heroes; in my experience and that of others who've been crippled (literally) for long periods of time, the hero-types are often the ones who try to 'get back out and about' - and end up at square one, or at the very least, slowing down the healing considerably.

Warm wishes (pun on the 'warm' - warm n muggy here).
Old 12-26-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Del, been thinking of you too!

PS just on the lighter side: this brings to mind from a few months ago - all of a sudden over several weeks, more and more local area AA members were showing up at meetings on crutches, walkers, temporary wheelchairs, arms and shoulders in slings and such. Nothing to do with drinking - most were long term sober. All we could do was to help them have a few laughs, if nothing else than to temporarily lighten their mood.

hopefully we can do the same for you, Algo.