Notices

does it ever get easier?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Don't think about 6 months. Just think about right now, an hour from now, today. It was hard for me to imagine NEVER drinking again at first. So don't use that word. Just keep plugging away. Every day sober it will get a little easier.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's a tough one to answer, to be honest.

You'll hear many, if not most of us, say "It gets better." In fact, there's a thread with that title created by Venecia not too long ago. Good thread, too.

Easier? Hmm. Dealing with urges and cravings does get easier. They happen less frequently and seem to lose power over time.

Life keeps happening, though. And not everyone has an easy life.

I think it's more accurate or more realistic to state that things get 'real.' And hopefully, as you grow in your sobriety, you develop your coping skills so that you can handle the ups and downs of life. I became aware over time that I was able to handle more and more stressors. And I was learning patience and perhaps, best of all, I was learning resilience and adaptability.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't think about it too tough just stay focused on the now in today

You can really do this I never thought it was possible then I did it

Old 07-20-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
totfit

Yes, it absolutely gets easier. I guarantee if drinking were easier that being sober, I would have never gotten sober. Sobriety is the easier, softer way.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tambdy View Post
Every night seems to be this hard process of will I get one, will I not.

Its only night 3 but not getting any easier!
Tonight to out to dinner and treat yourself to your favorite meal and lots of it. Even if it's "comfort food" like a Chinese or pizza buffet - fill up! You will be full, happy, & satisfied, and couldn't drink if you wanted to.

Worry about eating healthy next week. You're in a very vulnerable spot in the day 3-4 range - that's your priority and it's plenty.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi tambdy,

As others have said it does get easier but unfortunately it does take time. It did ease for me after a month - the cravings I got night after night finally eased up somewhat and reduced still further after 3 months

With the healthy eating - obviously it is important in the long run but in the early days I found eating sweet food like ice cream or chocolate helped with the cravings. IMO quitting the alcohol is more important than diet in the beginning and is hard enough on its own without changing diet.

6 months is a long way but just quit 1 day at a time and you will get you there

I have attached a link to an article that is about getting to like healthy food - it is not trying to sell anything (other than a healthy lifestyle) so I don't think it breaches any guidelines

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...urself-like-it
Old 07-20-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The first week is hard, but oh so worth it.

Hope this helps, Tambdy:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ts-better.html
Old 07-20-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

YES YES YES it gets better - I was a bottle of wine a night girl too - that sounds like absolute misery to me now, at four months in - just wake up each day and commit to "today, I will not drink" - say that, and follow through. Don't "future trip" and worry about fooooorrrrrevvverrrrr -

You will start to change - your thinking changes - I promise!!
Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't know anyone who has gone through six months of feeling the way we feel the first week. Most people say, after only a few days, that the relief they feel from not being sick outweighs the moments of thinking of a drink by far. And I've hear many people say that they were totally relieved of the desire for alcohol, usually through a spiritual approach.
Just get through today and see what happens for you. It may be that right around the corner, even tomorrow!, you will begin becoming very happy with not drinking. The thought may come, but if you make a plan to get through it, it will pass and you will be filled with gratitude that you made it through. Then, the next time will be easier.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It sure does get easier! I have about a year and 1/4 and you wouldn't recognize me from when I used to drink. Stick to it. Every day counts.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi tambdy,

As others have said it does get easier but unfortunately it does take time. It did ease for me after a month - the cravings I got night after night finally eased up somewhat and reduced still further after 3 months

With the healthy eating - obviously it is important in the long run but in the early days I found eating sweet food like ice cream or chocolate helped with the cravings. IMO quitting the alcohol is more important than diet in the beginning and is hard enough on its own without changing diet.

6 months is a long way but just quit 1 day at a time and you will get you there

I have attached a link to an article that is about getting to like healthy food - it is not trying to sell anything (other than a healthy lifestyle) so I don't think it breaches any guidelines

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...urself-like-it
.thanks for the link I will work on this!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Thanks guys, getting there slowly but surely. A day at a time we will be this devil!!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks am trying, 11 years and a bottle of wine per night it is a struggle to quit. Especially quitting full stop, no medication and no cutting it back.
Believe me, trying to do it by gradually cutting back would be MORE painful, not less.

Rather than just sitting with those feelings, could you go check out some local meetings? Surrounding myself with people who had walked this road before me and who could offer me their experience, strength and hope really did make things easier for me, and for countless others.

Have you had a look at the links about making a plan yet? If not, then there is no time like the present... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html

There is no need to white-knuckle this thing. For one, it just makes it more painful. And two, it doesn't make for happy or healthy sobriety in the long term. Not picking up the first drink is vitally important, but so it the process of recovery.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 1652 and yes it does get easier

Grind it out , stare at a wall its gets easier .

Moderation cutting back is fools gold , just another form of torturing yourself .

Google AVRT bullets and read them . Your giving up nothing .
Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It definitely gets easier. The first week is the hardest. I kept myself really busy the first few weeks, I planned out the time I normally would have been drinking wine, I am almost at the seven month mark, and I feel better than I have in years. Stick with it, I promise it is worth it!!!
Old 07-21-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice day tambdy
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Of course it gets easier! One day at a time! What will make it even easier is if you work a program. What I have found helpful is the program of alcoholics anonymous. Maybe you will too!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

6 months is great, how long are you on now?
my DOS is 4/23/05.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

6 months seems such a long time away.
yes, it did. I didn't focus on 6 months away. I did my damdest to stay in today and stay sober one day at a time. those early days were an eternity. but it was well worth trusting what others said that it would get easier as long as I didn't drink AND worked on me.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well don't be so afraid of days 4,5,6 . For me Day 1 and 3 were always the worst. Day 1 was a miserable hangover and the beginning of withdrawal. Day 3 was always the peak of the withdrawal. There is no hard and fast rule, but generally withdrawal peaks around 72 hours