Notices

It Gets Better

Old 12-12-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It Gets Better

Five years ago, the It Gets Better campaign was launched.

It began as a small series of videos to help gay, lesbian, trans and bi youth hear from others that the turmoil in their lives won't last forever. The message was so simple, yet so powerful. It was intended to save lives and it has. It was grassroots messaging at its finest.

There are striking correlations between the It Gets Better campaign and the work we carry forward on SR. For so many, the struggles seem insurmountable, the anguish unending. And yet the hope is so abundant.

I'd like to ask my fellow journeyers who've amassed some serious sober time -- let's say six months -- to share that simple message that we've learned. That if you're new and struggling, your life right now isn't your life forever.

I'll start. Please join me. Just three simple words for our newer friends.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It Gets Better.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will join you Venecia!

It does get better! 13 months in, and my life has gotten so much better! It is wonderful to wake up every morning guilt free and feeling great....hangover, what's that?

It is so worth it....stay with it!!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes; it gets better.
i got better and am, now better.
genuine peace.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not only does your life "get better" life becomes a rewarding journey!

You'll free yourself to live the life you were meant to. Find the joy instead of the sorrow.

Most importantly, LOVE yourself again. Look at your reflection and smile. Yes, look at me ... I'm fantastic.

Wonderful Thread, Venecia.

Sending love and strength to all struggling. Take that leap of faith, you'll never regret it.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It does get better

The mind stops racing. The cravings reduce. You feel "better" The finances improve. You no longer spend your day waiting for that time when you can get wasted. Other people start to trust you. You start to trust yourself. You actually live your life
Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes a while but it does get better. My life is so much better now.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

it get's better!

Fabulous, Venecia!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

It doesn't only get better, it gets best.
Ending an addiction means just that ending it , one need not struggle with it any longer let it go and plan to never go back to it.
Unshackled by the addiction means we are able to become our best and be able to tackle any other "it" s that we encounter in life. Without being rid of the addictions we will always be held back by what the addiction "does", everyone has in them the "stuff" it takes to end them, dig for it find it use it, you can, do it.
It does get better, and we can give ourselves the opportunity to be our best, know you can,believe you can and strive to do it.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It really does get better! At some point, it even became easier. It's worth the initial roller coaster of emotions to have this confidence and peace of mind. Going through the toughest of times sober enabled me to realize I can face absolutely anything sober, and be glad I did.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have about 6 and a half months right now.

Of all the great things I am experiencing, the one that tickles me the most is this sense of anticipation about life! Things keep falling into place as I make better decisions.

Yes, go to the dentist, yes, pay off the credit cards, yes, buy warm socks and yes, get that oil change.

As I've done those simple actions, my mind has become more free. I rest better. I have time to look people in the eyes and really talk with them.

People want to be closer to me bc I am so obviously clearheaded and stable. No one says it, but I can see the shift in the way I am treated.

So, as you start to clear up the wreckage of the drinking life, this sense of anticipation unfolds as you begin to receive the benefits and miracles of a sober life. And you keep building upon those decisions and successes.

And that anticipation is created, and it sustains sobriety! It almost feels like I'm in a show and I can't wait for the next episode bc it's so good and you just know it's gonna get really really good as you watch! Except it's your life! And it feels amazing!

Having a clear mind and learning true self care has been the most rewarding part of this journey, along with the anticipation of what's next!

I clearly know that this life I have today can not be achieved by how I used to drink and neglect myself and my affairs. And that makes it easier to stay away from thoughts of drinking.

It not only gets better, It Gets Awesome!!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome!

Let's keep 'em coming! If you've got six months or more, share some encouragement. You can write as much as you want -- or just chime in with those three simple words:

It Gets Better.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

It gets better sobriety is a life upgrade
Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It gets better. So much better.

Health, happiness, a clean house and a decluttered mind.

If you're new, just make it through that first hard month. Then look forward to all the changes that will happen in the first year. It's pretty amazing, actually.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Life is good
Old 12-12-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It absolutely gets better.

The struggles you face and experience in early sobriety are far outweighed by the benefits of a sober body, a sober mind, a sober heart and a sober spirit. I am amazed by, and grateful for, every sober moment - being truly present in my life is such a blessing.

There are two things I most look forward to in every day - waking up, unchained by my addiction, and going to sleep truly appreciating the day just lived.

Recovery beckons, dear Newcomers.

Reach for it.

Answer its call.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It gets better!

One of the things that amazed me was how much stress drinking was adding to my life. I drank to get rid of stress, but ironically drinking was causing me tons of stress.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know that im in my early recovery and im already reaping the benefits of sobriety.

It does get better!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Six months in, and it absolutely gets better.

I expected a lifetime of self sacrifice and denial, for the sake of my health.

I did not expect what actually happened. I laugh more. I smile more. I have more fun with my kids. I get more done. I still enjoy going to gigs. People still laugh at my (still bad) jokes. I still play in a band, better than before. I feel more. Experience life more. No more watching the world go by through an alcoholic veil.

Whatever you're going through now, if you're struggling in early sobriety or still trying to decide if it's worth making that change, believe me.

Life. Really. Gets. Better.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sober Life parallels the transition in my fav Film 'The Wizard Of Oz'. Quite like when Dorothy crashes down in her House, Life goes from b/w to Color.