Keep Calm and Sober On! Weekender Jan 29 Pt. 2

Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Ken & everyone
Old 02-03-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Not sure I can avoid going out to snow blow any longer. Well I could, but I'm stuck in the house until I do it. I opened my curtains so I can see the driveway. It's helping to motivate me. Sort of.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

But... It just started snowing again.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

MLD: I had a conversation with my sister last week from GA. She remembered when she lived with me here the time I shoveled the driveway at least three times. An hour later there was another foot of new snow...

Break it down into work. Without getting all scientific about it...
If you move a ton of snow three different times, you move three tons of snow.
If you move three tons of snow one time, you move three tons of snow.

It's easier to move a ton of snow three times.

At least clear an area close to the house to give you a start for when you really want to strap on the boots...

I will add that last weekend I started clearing snow half way through the storm. My neighbor said he was going to wait until it was finished snowing - who knows when. Come day two, I had half as much snow to clear, and it took far less time to remove half and half than it did for the neighbors to remove the whole lot at one time - true.

Last edited by LBrain; 02-03-2016 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added
Old 02-03-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone!
I'm still on season 2 of nurse jackie....I have it on netflix.
woke up feeling punky today. Weird dreams of people not listening to me. Family and at work. Family is true cause I'm the youngest.
And....I'm not going walking this morning cause it's so cold out and I need to get to work early today. The doggies will survive one day without a walk.
I'll take a bath instead....
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

I went looking for a blue water gif for Behan's meditation, and look....

Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

This is probably for the girls...I've been watching "Reign" on Netflix. 44 episodes, 45 minutes each.

Mary, Queen of Scots. Beautiful people, beautiful costumes, intrigue, betrayal, France in the 1500s with all the patriarchy and war and - I really like it. You have to pay attention. It's a lot like "Scandal" in its pace - quick dialog and many plot twists per episode.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

70 Year-old Helen Mirren does what we Geezers do best: lets it rip in this Super Bowl Ad from - wait for it - a major Beer Company [Budweiser]:

'The collective we are dumbfounded that people still drive drunk,” Mirren says. “If you drive drunk, you, simply put, are a shortsighted utterly useless oxygen wasting human form of pollution…if your brain was donated to science, science would return it. So stop it.'

Hey, don't hold back there, Helen!

- Helen Mirren Super Bowl Ad -

Breezy & chilly here this Monin', but the Sun is blasting through clear Air. One last Tourista fun thang is planned for today. We head North to Utah tomorrow to a Motel I booked. The well-Insulated Trailer would do fine at the 11 F [-12 C] Night Temps predicted there, but I can't be bothered with Set-Up, and details.

A certain Dog travels well, and will appreciate having his own Motel Queen Bed to sprawl out on tomorrow Night. Here he is just now in this Trailer...

Great Vid, Behan! A Scottish Pal posted that one. We drove a rented ~24' RV onto the large Ferry from The Scottish Mainland up to Orkney, and rode out a moderate North Sea Storm. Mighty exciting. That Trip, a couple of 'Birders' [Bird Watchers] were fatally blown off a Cliff up in Shetland similar to the one shown in that Waterfall Vid. It would be nice to see nesting Puffins up close, but not that nice, eh? It was explained to me how Shetland Ponies came to be bred small. The Wind off the North Sea simply blew over larger Breeds. Same with the smaller Dog Breeds that help manage Herds. A stout-built House, and a Mood-elevating 'Light Box' are requirements up there.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I learned of a pressing matter here. I have to help someone prepare for a pharmacology mid term. Oh boy!

This will NOT be fun. I have a couple days to become a whiz on pharmacology and then transmit that wizardry to my partner. And this computer doesn't play well with the printer... ahg!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I loved pharmacology when I took it. I know, I'm weird. It was one of my favorite classes. Not easy, though.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

any tips MLD?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Cooking day at work today, recipe development and such. I hope we find some winners, I am anxious to get this menu rolled out and see if I want to stay at the job.

Marty, I didn't go get ice cream last night- I was chilled and needed to stay under blankets. I made do with some leftover BBQ chicken and some chamomile.

Tonight I'm committing to a quick target trip after work to get ice cream and some frozen food that is not junk food, if possible. I need some quick fixes in the freezer until I get my new apartment totally unpacked and I can fill the freezer with my cooking.

I need to make eating a priority. Bc of the learned suppressed hunger response due to Crohn's symptoms flare-ups, I go wayyyyy too long without eating. I just don't feel hungry a lot of the time. Very often the first time I eat something is at 8 pm.

It's not to lose or control weight but I wonder if that is an eating disorder as well? Or if I don't need to worry about diagnosing it and just make sure there's a banana and oatmeal around when I wake up? So I don't feel hunger a lot, when I do it's a good thing, and there's a lazy/depressive factor to preparing food for myself by my lonesome. Added mind melt that I cook for a living.

Weird stuff. This bag of skin and brains I carry around mystifies me sometimes.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

I'm back to the office. Tetra, how are you doing?

Melina, I'm not hungry a lot of the time. I understand that perfectly. I just now ate something at 11:00.

Glad it's Wednesday. Saturday will be busy. I have to bake for a bake sale and Miss Ruby is performing with her school glee club at the local art center in the evening. She's excited.

Now I have to focus on this assignment I volunteered for. I'm just so rusty. And I'm trying to read stuff related to the assignment and it's making me so tired. My eyes were crossing earlier.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Brain - at considerable expense to myself, I bought a Lippincott Nursing Drug Guide book. It helped a lot. It had more information than I could find online, and I trusted it more. I just studied and studied. Our textbook was good in that it broke down the classes of drugs in a pretty logical way. Then the Lippincott gave all the little details that were missing from the text. Lots of memorizing. But if you know the roots of the names of the drugs it helps.

Melina - when I was still drinking, I was diagnosed with IBS. My defense against flare-ups was to just not eat. So I learned to go almost all day without eating anything but crackers until safe at home, I still sometimes do that, I think out of habit, even though the "IBS" has disappeared. Huh. Go figure. I wasn't actually sick. I was just poisoning myself every day. My body was clearly trying to tell me something that my drinking brain just didn't care to listen to.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Today was a terrible day.

I had yesterday off and was hoping for Friday off (because I was told two days off this week). So we had almost reached town this morning and I got a text from the boss to tell me to take today off instead! I was annoyed - could he not have texted earlier?

He is only doing it to suit himself. One of the girls was telling me on Monday that she is going back to her country for a quick visit Thursday to Sunday so I guess I'll be on phone duty tomorrow.

My mom needs lots of work done on her teeth and she had dental appointments yesterday, today and tomorrow so at least the morning wasn't entirely a waste.

After the fight last night, some of which was my fault (not all) I decided to write himself an e-mail this morning. I have decided that it is time for me to start telling people how I feel. So I wrote a nice e-mail, if I do say so myself. Writing has become an outlet for me recently.

So he called me when I was having tea in town to say he really liked the message and I have quite a way with words. He told me he likes me a lot and we will take things very slowly which is what I wanted from the start.

At my aftercare meeting there is this woman who told us one day that she has been sober for two years and she is worried about her lack of creativity. I agreed with what she had to say and I am glad I have started writing again.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I hear you, drinking definitely made my IBD/Crohn's disease worse.

But even though my health has improved, there is no cure for IBD and I do have flare ups. I've been trying to experiment with different foods and it's been 'interesting.'

But I think the suppressed hunger thing is permanent, the pain and symptoms from flare ups scarred me psychologically. It's truly horrible.

At least I am sober and I can work on this issue in a positive manner. Before, I would just pull a woe is me and drink my face off about my unlucky lot in life. Ha!

I think I'm just lazy and I need to keep the fridge stocked like a big girl!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

I was always so afraid I had IBD or Crohn's or Colitis. None of the above thank goodness. I did have some symptoms of all of them, but all of the testing I had was ok, so they just called it IBS. No one ever suggested a link with alcohol. Not sure it would have made any difference to me though. I hope you can find your "safe" foods, and that they aren't too boring.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Miserable morning at work. ..witchy woman in my office on a mission to make me feel like an idiot. I don't know why people have to act like that. Why not just be friendly....we are all doing what we can and it doesn't need to be a competition. I should have told her to leave, but I was polite instead and I felt my blood pressure rise.
so now I'm home for a few hours and can relax. Then back to work, but no witches on the schedule.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's really uncanny you guys are talking about crohn's as for the last 2 days I've had a pain in my lower left abdomen at first I thought it was constipation but it isn't and my one of my sisters has crohn's

I tried to get a Dr apt today but will try again in the morning I'm currently on about a 5/10 pain/uncomfortable scale I was going to go hospital but il do that if I can't get a Dr apt in the morning

I know I've had a problem with digestion but never had this type of lasting pain in my lower left abdomen

Sorry if this grosses anyone out