How to be sober on superbowl sunday

Found this for anyone who is interested

How to Be Sober on Superbowl Sunday (and Other Social Challenges) | Serenity
Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My solution is going to be simple: I don't watch football
Old 02-06-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Wolfie, for sharing that article.

To it, I'd add this: You do not *have* to go to bars or parties on Super Bowl Sunday. Staying at home with some fun food and a reliable supply of sodapop or other NA drinks is a perfectly good way to spend the day.

I'm not a football fan and the SB is never part of my plans. The Oscars, on the other hand, are *my* Super Bowl Sunday, starting with the red carpet and right through to the Academy Award for Best Picture. Sadly, there were some years in there when I conked out on the couch before the end because of too much wine.

Ugh. It's a sheer joy to recognize that these big TV events don't need to be accompanied by alcohol. In fact, that's how many people enjoy them. I am glad to be one of those people now. For those planning on watching the SB tomorrow, you can be one, too.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic SW!!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

No problem hope it helps
Old 02-07-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My plan: make sure I'm well hydrated going into event (I'm doing a bunch of grilling, smoking, frying, etc for a selection of wings, and I typically drink beer throughout or don't drink anything and end up wicked thirsty). I'll arrive for kickoff instead of the party start two hours prior. I am taking some Gatorade I bought yesterday and will refil on virgin cocktails/diet coke if needed. If asked, I'll say "no thanks" or "I'm not drinking today" and if asked why I'll go with the partial-I am giving up booze for a weight loss challenge plus I'm running a staff training in the morning that I still need to prep. If I need to bail (which I doubt), I'm leaving to square away the training content. And understand that while my team made the Super Bowl (woo-boo!), it is just a game and not something to get carried away with and start thinking of beer as an aid for celebration or commiseration . Annnnnnnd Go a Broncos!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlife123 View Post
My solution is going to be simpler: I don't drink
Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My solution is more genteel: "Downton Abbey."
Old 02-07-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks guys this is more for newcomers who might be facing thier first sober superbowl and are not sure how to handle things

Loved your responses guys
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlife123 View Post
Mine is even simpler than that..... I don't drink.

I may watch football, may not.... but definitely don't drink.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The whole idea that any single event is tied to drinking tragically misguided. I drank every day, regardless of whether there was a Super Bowl or not. If my recovery is so shaky that I can't handle the ballgame without drinking, I have bigger issues.

The Super Bowl or other outside stuff is external and beyond my influence. Dealing with myself is the larger challenge. Personal responsibility trumps an alcoholic desire to drink. I do the work to make my life good enough that perception doesn't need altered.

As it stands, no drinking at the present function, but there will be other occasions in the future. Like has been said...my solution is to simply not drink. Beyond that, it's all just details.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RallyAly View Post
My plan: make sure I'm well hydrated going into event (I'm doing a bunch of grilling, smoking, frying, etc for a selection of wings, and I typically drink beer throughout or don't drink anything and end up wicked thirsty). I'll arrive for kickoff instead of the party start two hours prior. I am taking some Gatorade I bought yesterday and will refil on virgin cocktails/diet coke if needed. If asked, I'll say "no thanks" or "I'm not drinking today" and if asked why I'll go with the partial-I am giving up booze for a weight loss challenge plus I'm running a staff training in the morning that I still need to prep. If I need to bail (which I doubt), I'm leaving to square away the training content. And understand that while my team made the Super Bowl (woo-boo!), it is just a game and not something to get carried away with and start thinking of beer as an aid for celebration or commiseration . Annnnnnnd Go a Broncos!
Congrats to your Broncos, and to Peyton!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I went to a party. Some people were drinking and others won't. I was only offered alcohol once. They wanted me to take home a leftover bottle of wine. I just said, "No, thanks. I don't drink." No biggie whatsoever.