Notices

I can see clearly now weekender November 13

Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening gang hope you all have had or are having a nice day
Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Got extra house key made today. Tried to get extra car key made but they will charge $60 because there's a security chip inside it. Mr. Potamus will flip out on me if I don't run it by him first, even though he told me to get one made. He flipped out over Lucy's $35 microchip because he found another vet who only charges $25. He wants to have it removed. Not because of the price difference, but because I went ahead and got it done. He is pulling his typical games now that I told you all about. Changing his mind after the deed is done. Makes me want to spit nails. All of a sudden the microchip is dangerous and will cause tumors. He could've decided against it but he waits until they insert it, now he is having it removed.

I don't know how much longer I will put up with this bs.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

LBrain, I am glad you're here.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

As LBrain's Story reiterates, Sobriety ain't for the timid.

We used to pound this Song senseless in my College Band. Great fun to play...

- 'When You Dance I Can Really Love' ~ Neil Young & Booker T. & The MGs ~ Live

Welp, SP, 'tis a shame that Microchips don't emit Radiation sufficient to cure Technological Idiocy. You'd be all good to go. Oh, and avoid all Microwave Oven use, too. Dangerous Guano, that reheated Pizza...

Good Job on the Spare Keys. I almost got into the detail of 'Chipped Keys being more expensive, but there is no option these days. Gawd forbid spending another $10- allows you to get your beloved Dog back, eh?

Pet Chip 'Tubes' can migrate. Be sure to have your Vet scan them each visit to ensure they're stayed put.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I may go to whole foods and see what kind of chai they have...a cup of chai sounds so good right now.
newhope...be easy on yourself and get some rest before you make any big decisions. But sometimes change is good. We are all here for you if you want to talk about it. Maybe a little walk would make you feel better.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Here
Old 11-12-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thank you for another weekend thread.
I'm also in.
Weather sucks today as apparently we are being hit by 'Storm Abigail' with weather warning in place tonight and the small hours of Friday.
I'm also feeling festive so I spent a small fortune in Costa Coffee for an Americano, Chocolate and Gingerbread Mini Tart and a Chocolate Orange Mini Yule Log. Oh well. The local Christmas market opens the week after next I think, and after the few months we have had, I am actually looking forward to my brother's arrival in December.
First Christmas without Grandma though.

I hope you all have a nice evening xx
Old 11-12-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It all started to make much more sense when I accepted I knew far less. Saw far less clear than I knew I did.

I still bristle some days at the acceptance of being a drunk druggie. I want to see clearly.
How to find pattern and meaning in a random walk ? i love the ideas behind coin tosses and how most people after a run of say 10 head's or 10 tails will bet on the opposite occurring as it will get "more likely" Whereas using bayesian methods you might assume the coin is weighted and likely to do the same again .

To talk of having the full picture seems to me to assume we are omnipotent .

To see someone shove a child hard so they fly across the sidewalk might make you angry, until the road train lorry swings around the corner ..

There is theory and practice at play here too , you can read every book and technique and know how one should drive a car or play the violin … you can't drive a car or play the violin until you start to practice the art …

I found sobriety was an art to practice , sorry , living sober was an art to practice and hopefully master .

Have a delightful friday if you can , a sober one will do we should be so lucky

m
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I sometimes bristle at having to accept that I'm an alcoholic and always will be. It sort of feels like the label doesn't "fit" somehow, or maybe I just don't want it to fit. I actually only use the word in reference to myself when I'm at AA meetings. The rest of the time I prefer to just accept that I'm me, with all sorts of issues to be dealt with, one of which happens to be that I can't drink alcohol without doing really stupid stuff. I feel like just saying I'm an alcoholic simplifies things too much. As if not drinking will solve everything. We all know that's not true. Sure, it's the place to start, but it's certainly not the be all end all. Learning to live a largely different life - that's where the real work is, once we get over the initial shock of quitting the substance.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

From LB, MM, and Mex

Sobriety is an art,
not for the timid.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning all and thanx for the welcome.

Lbrain, sympathy.....can understand where you're coming from. But sounds like you and your wife are a good unit together.....you'll be fine.

Friday morning starts early here with the arrival of the garbage trucks a little after 5am. The dawn chorus of crashing empties cascading into the back of the truck.....this week last time outside my place.

Good day everybody, Friday is usually my fail day.....but have to break the pattern this time
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The wind and rain is picking up here also Tetra. Batten down the hatches!!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Y'all have gotten me thinking about chai. When I was still drinking my system didn't tolerate dairy well at all, so chai was out. Now that the weather is getting colder, I want to give it a try again. I just looked up some recipes for making it from scratch. A bit too much work for me. So I'll start trying to find a spiced tea at the store. I'm guessing the whole foods store in my town is a place to start. Or Trader Joes?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
...holds the key

A few more awesome posts to archive. Thanks y'all!

And thanks for sharing such personal stuff Brain
You know, after I lost my job/license because of using/drinking the few 'normal' friends I had didn't want anything to do with me. I was left with just my little group of alcoholics. Very lonely. Not only has SR helped me quit drinking but it's served as a kind of 'testing' ground to slowly start learning how to relate to people again.
Xo
Old 11-12-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Marty...Trader Joes has a lot of chai mixes that I've used. I've never made mine from scratch.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

oooohhh. I'm going to TJ's today. I just make my own chai when I feel like chai. Spiced tea, sugar, cream. I think any non-dairy creamer would work.

The missionaries came by yesterday just as I was getting out of my car so the question of, "what will I do?" was answered. The one young man who has come by every week for six weeks is going back to his home this week, so I won't see him again. His trip is 36 hours to get home! He lives on the opposite side of the planet. I told them both I didn't buy the church doctrine, rules, etc., and that I doubt I ever would. It's interesting that they never talk about the deep doctrine of the LDS church, only the basic gospel, which is not the whole truth. I'm glad they knocked on my door that first day, because now I have done quite a bit of research and now I have knowledge of their doctrine. It is said in AA that we should not have, "contempt before investigation." I've investigated, it seems like the work of a delusional megalomaniac, in my not so humble opinion. I don't have contempt - they can believe what they want. What I don't understand is why they still want to keep dropping by. I'll ask them next time.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I still am at work and can't catch up or respond to much until later, but I just had to say...

One of the reasons this thread and you regulars mean so much to me is that so many of you have shared life experiences that I deeply relate to, and within which you are remaining sober. LBrain is one of my heroes here, and I would probably name each of you in that list if I got going, for one reason or another. Such intelligent, alive, giving people I have never seen. And you keep showing up here! Mon Dieu--my good fortune! You are examples of what I really want, and my life is enriched by you.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Many thanks for the warm welcome to this thread, you are such lovely people and I'm really grateful for having found you.

Well my weekend starts now as I don't work on Fridays (insert smug looking emoticon here) so every weekend is a long one.

I was so chuffed when I went part-time, I thought I would achieve so much but instead it just became an excuse to drink more. I'd be halfway through a bottle of wine by now and wouldn't put any food in my stomach until it was finished. And so my weekend would continue.

Not any more though, I'm just about to cook pasta broccoli with copious amounts of garlic. I'm replacing wine with coconut water for my beverage of choice and I'm going to clear the basement out tomorrow instead of nursing a hangover.

Woo-hoo to sobriety and woo-hoo to you guys and woo-hoo to my new life.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dinner was fantastic what did everyone have for dins dins ?