Have a recipe for decaffeinated chai?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Have a recipe for decaffeinated chai?
Here's the one I use and really like...

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Lotus-Tra...1CSZSC63MYGZAK

And here's a rooibos (decaf) version...

Amazon.com : 1 X Blue Lotus Rooibos Masala Chai - 2oz Tin (65 cups) : Chai Teas : Grocery & Gourmet Food

This is as close to a homemade mix as I've found. I haven't made a homemade version yet. These Blue Lotus mixes don't contain that instant creamer crap and other additives. It's just pure spice and black tea. You add your own milk, water, and sweetener.

It's a small container but it supposedly makes about 100 cups. I've been using 1.5 times the suggested amount because I love spicier tea, so mine won't last that long.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm in. It is really nice to see some different names this week -- welcome aboard, I say! This is my 3rd weekender bus trip, I think, and I just love 'em! Helps keep me on track.

My guests arrive Saturday, and the discussion about alcohol in my house has been had. I think they are mulling it over; they were pretty quiet. But they will comply, I am certain.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in!

My dear friend here on SR introduced me to this song a couple of years ago when I was going through extremely tough times.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Melina, that is exactly right! I can't wait to read what everyone is cooking, doing, and dealing with! This thread is the most fun I've had, sober or otherwise, in a long time...which I realize may be a sad commentary on the life of Bix...!! But there it is!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good for you for standing up for yourself, Bix! I. Very happy that my little family and I will be going visit my uncle and his girlfriend for thanksgiving this year in Duluth. She's sober. It will be my first sober thanksgiving, so it's nice to know not everyone will drink. Takes a bit of anxiety out of it for me.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Way ta flex them Muscles, Bix!

Charlie Brown, here, has kicked that proverbial Football of accepting Drinking one too many times; only to have it ramp way outta control. Situation-by-situation, I'm having to throw it down this Holiday Season, and voluntarily enter into only Scenarios that suit me, too. Yah, there's this feeling sometimes as if I'm standing on some muddy Hillside while trying to stop the approaching Mudslide poised to bury me called: 'Of Course, Drinking Is Fun & The Norm'.

Each time I confront these Scenarios, and throw down some non-negotiable Terms & Conditions, implementing Sobriety in the Real World gets easier. Note that I'm not saying 'achieving' Sobriety. I'm saying 'implementing' it. That is, the various lil tricks endemic to being a Sober Person coping well in a Drinking World. It all gets easier over time as you molt into your Sober Skin.

Hang tough! Irony intended, obviously, via the Meme below...

'No one can take advantage of you without your permission'

~ Columnist Ann Landers ~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Drinking Meme Card.jpg (26.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-12-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm in.

Here's to my first sober weekend in a long time.

Have a meeting today with my program director and HR about a complaint I filed on my direct supervisor. Not looking forward to it or the long drive to work.

Fighting depression really hard right now... it's so hard to get out of bed.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

I'm in
Old 11-12-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good words, Mesa! Thanks for share how it's done! I really like the "implementing sobriety in a drinking world" turn of phrase.

Hang with us, Quirky and NewHope01. You can do this!!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ahh....so I'm 'molting' into my new sober skin. I was wondering what was happening to me. Thanks for clearing that up, Mesa!

Good to see you newhope. Hope the meeting goes well!

Hi Quirky!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

MLD, this will be my first Thanksgiving, too. And right now I am thankful that my usual T-day gathering is not big at all on alcohol. There is often a bottle of wine over on the far counter and I have never seen it get opened! Christmas is a different story, even though it is largely the same bunch of people... Funny. Traditions!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
This thread is the most fun I've had, sober or otherwise, in a long time...which I realize may be a sad commentary on the life of Bix...!! But there it is!
Having worked 12+ hour shift work for over 20 years along with the isolation and only socializing with 'work' that came with it, I had very few opportunities to make 'friends' outside of work. Much of it being single with no kids - again being an outsider - or gravitating toward the spouse' social circle during those brief periods ...

When I was ousted from my job I became this pariah of sorts. Actually everyone I socialized with disappeared from life and wanted nothing to do with me. With having to support my wife's endeavors and dealing with being an outcast for having the audacity to marry a "foreigner" only added to the isolation. Unfortunately I took a lot of slack for marrying my wife. I made the correct decision.

My few real friends are thousands of miles away. I was castigated by one group I thought I could fit in with for suggesting other ways of living and saying I was my own higher power. You are not welcome into our fold unless...
Not to mention I lost an income that was in the 95th percentile to barely scraping by... a lot of adjustments had to be made.

My social life is basically 'zero' . This forum is pretty much my only outlet.

If you have people coming to visit, treasure those moments. It's difficult for a man in his 50's to make new friends. Especially when my wife is an ESL student. And neither of us drink which makes us questionable characters in today's society. I was always a kind of loner most of my life anyway.

Be glad for the people you do have.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hubby is trying to get me out of bed.

Eating popcorn and watching TV. Thinking of making a career change.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

hey everybody, it's Neil Young's birthday!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

thats very touching lbrain. i feel we live similar lives.

minus the paycheck, i make slightly more now.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

LB, I think your wife is pretty awesome ( I mean, you know - from your loving second-hand description.) People are so weird, I swear.

I live in the land of "no one is from here." The whole of the Seattle area is full of Eastern Europeans and immigrants. I think you should move here. Lots of money and jobs here, too.

p.s. you can't stay with me. However, I do have deer who walk through my in-city lawn.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Having worked 12+ hour shift work for over 20 years along with the isolation and only socializing with 'work' that came with it, I had very few opportunities to make 'friends' outside of work. Much of it being single with no kids - again being an outsider - or gravitating toward the spouse' social circle during those brief periods ...

When I was ousted from my job I became this pariah of sorts. Actually everyone I socialized with disappeared from life and wanted nothing to do with me. With having to support my wife's endeavors and dealing with being an outcast for having the audacity to marry a "foreigner" only added to the isolation. Unfortunately I took a lot of slack for marrying my wife. I made the correct decision.

My few real friends are thousands of miles away. I was castigated by one group I thought I could fit in with for suggesting other ways of living and saying I was my own higher power. You are not welcome into our fold unless...
Not to mention I lost an income that was in the 95th percentile to barely scraping by... a lot of adjustments had to be made.

My social life is basically 'zero' . This forum is pretty much my only outlet.

If you have people coming to visit, treasure those moments. It's difficult for a man in his 50's to make new friends. Especially when my wife is an ESL student. And neither of us drink which makes us questionable characters in today's society. I was always a kind of loner most of my life anyway.

Be glad for the people you do have.
Thanks so much for sharing some of your story with me, LBrain. It really speaks to me in SO many ways. I truly do treasure the visitors/ friends/ family that I have. But it is not the easy breezy thing it may sound like.

I speak in a kind of code habitually, I realize. I have so much more to say, in response. And I really want to share a bit more. Soon. I have to get into my next meeting at the moment.

For now...LBrain...just thank you!!!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In

Welcome GhostFace, tufty, NewHope & Quirky

Welcome back Canguy and Verde

Thanks to SME (Sony Music Entertainment) I was not allowed to see that version of JC that Soberpotamus posted but able to see else where. Weird is all I can say

Sounds like you are a whole lot better off without those jerks LBrain

Still at work but outta here any second