Notices

High bottom alcoholic or just lucky

Old 11-15-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High bottom alcoholic or just lucky

Hi,

I was thinking today about my situation and many other people who struggle with labeling themselves an alcoholic . I was thinking the usual, have a job, financially stable, no dui, no jail time.... But for some reason this time I thought man I drove drunk often. Over the past decade, maybe 400 times and I'm thinking pretty drunk, I know I'm impaired driving. I was just lucky. I could have been pulled over for a dui, or worse got into an accident, maybe hurt myself really bad or someone else and all my rationalizing wouldn't exist. I would have a dui, I may have ended in jail, I may be sued and have to pay a substantial amount of money. So one's high bottom could very quickly and easily have changed.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It certaiy could. Bottom isn't necessarily circumstantial from the outside. It's simply the point at which an individual has had "enough." When the pain of drinking outweighs the pain of getting healthy, you're at bottom.

Glad yours was relatively painless. Mine was anything but.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Roger-

I think deep down many of us realize we're lucky as well. It's amazing what situations you can put yourself in while actively alcoholic. Of course, many are not so lucky. There's no shortage of potential calamity, tragedy, and destruction awaiting should we decide to pick up the first drink again.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey Roger. Glad you're here. We come in all flavors. I too never had a dui, lost a job, etc. But alcohol was definitely becoming a problem in my life. Like you, I was just luckier than others. It's only a matter of time before things will catch up with you. Now is the time to do something about it.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

"Most alcoholics have to be pretty badly mangled before they really commence to solve their problems"

There are degrees for sure - best to take that part of our story as a warning to others = You're Eligible Too (Yet).
Old 11-15-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I Had a high bottom too, i just wanted more for myself than alcohol was allowing for.
Xoxo
Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dunno. I still had money and a pretty nice apartment when I got sober, and had never done jail time. I'd been globetrotting to the Caribbean and to Europe on vacations just a few months before I got sober too. Those things are all true. Doesn't mean I was a "high bottom alcoholic".

If I admit it to myself, things were bad. And going downhill fast. I was very lucky that I escaped the bottle when I did. Going back and saying "maybe things weren't that bad" seems like a dangerous mantra for me. Just my .02 cents from my own perspective!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Never arrested, married, good job, house in the burbs, 3 dogs, drove drunk thousands of times, hopeless alcoholic.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I have never been arrested but had driven impaired many times. I knew it was wrong and a gamble but I continued to do it anyway. Looking back yes I was stupid and lucky but it was never enough to make me stop. My bottom came when I went to the hospital.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same thing, I appreciate posts like this because it reminds me that there are a lot of us who don't fit our preconceived notions of alcoholic, but yet we figured it out anyway because it's true - we're alcoholics. I attribute my high bottom to luck for sure. One twist of fate on a blackout night and I couldn't tout my "job, not jail, marriage not affected" status.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never drank and drove, it was just something I never did, still doesn't mean I'm not an alcoholic though!!
If it's a negative in our lives, we gotta cut it out and be happy and thriving
Xoxo
Old 11-15-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's all still out there to be had if you pick up again.

I'll pass. Presently watching one of the guys in my aftercare program being held down until police arrive. He's drunk as a skunk, but not as friendly, and he'll be enjoying the rest of his evening at the Denver County Hilton.

Ain't a damn thing that makes me different. When comparing your bottom to others', it is wise to recall that the insanity is always right there...waiting.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RogerD View Post

I could have been pulled over for a dui, or worse got into an accident, maybe hurt myself really bad or someone else
I've had more than one of the above.
Did the jail a couple of times
and lose of drivers license many times.

Sure glad that you seem to have seen the light.
Before it turns into a burning out falling star.

MB
Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Never arrested, married, good job, house in the burbs, 3 dogs, drove drunk thousands of times, hopeless alcoholic.
I didn't think alcohol was causing any major problems until I almost died when I withdrew because I didn't drink enough one day
Old 11-15-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I didn't think alcohol was causing any major problems until I almost died when I withdrew because I didn't drink enough one day
Same here. Quite the wake up call. Took me 3 of those seizures to finally get clean. Nothing "high bottom" about that.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great post Roger D. I couldn't have said it better. I also liked your awareness that you could well have hurt someone else. A lot of new folks come on here still selfishly thinking only of themselves.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel lucky to have escaped also! My life wasn't that turned upside down "yet". Glad we got out!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been lucky for sure, and pure luck is all it was because I could have had a dui, I could have lost my job, I could have lost the love and support of my family, I could have even died. I never thought any of those things could ever happen to me when I was altering my thought processes with alcohol. I am grateful to be sober.