Notices

Let's share Weekender Sept 11 until...

Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The bus is filling up! Great to see everyone. May get rowdy in here.

Properly worked out and pumped up.....now to gather the same enthusiasm for my real work.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
You are the man Mr. Nons!!!!! Plug those air holes. Very glad you are here.

K
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
"first weekender thread for me" she shares with trepidation! Duhhh

I have a hard time seeing that I have value to anyone other than my daughter. And being told I don't on occassion doesn't help. Look forward to participating....
Woo boo we have a newbie on board. The team will show you the kindness and support the weekender team is known around the globe for!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to everyone! New and old!

Glad to have you with us!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I don't know about you but I have a hard time sharing. Sharing on all levels not just the sharing done at meetings. Tangible sharing as well. The gift of giving and all that. I forget that I have anything to offer. I spent a lot of time drunk telling myself I have nothing to give.

I also have a very hard time sharing. In an AA meeting, a staff meeting, any place there are more than two people. I am a pretty shy person in real life.
When I first got sober I was caught in a very painful limbo. I couldn't drink, for that would kill me, but how could I not drink? How was I going to exist in the world not drinking?
In the beginning I went to a lot of meetings, always eyes down, so I would not have to share. But being in a room with my kind helped to keep me on course for sobriety. And besides the tangibleness of being in a room with my people, I also got a lot out of just listening to those who shared their experience, strength and hope. And as the fog of my illness began to lift, I found that I really, really wanted what those with the serenity of sober living had. I wanted a peaceful and sober life.
This is what I love, love, love about the weekender thread. It is a tribe of people living a sober life. And hopefully by the example of living a weekend of serenity....for the most part .......we are sharing that life is grand when lived soberly.

Hi, My name is Olive and I'm an alcoholic.

Thank you all for being here. You all help me to stay sober.
And thank you Weasel, for providing this safe and thoughtful place.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. And I thank goodness for that.
Welcome to all the new people.
Sharing, low self esteem, low self worth is a good topic. I like what you said weasel about how we strengthen what we share. I need to work on that. A lot.
But in the meantime. .I've got to get moving. See you all later.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Thanks for kicking us off K ,
Thursday .. Another slow day for me just feel dog tired before i start , think it's the weight i'm hauling round , since sobriety i've put on 48 lbs so i'm trying hard to shift it … i think my energy is low because of that ..

A catch 22 ..

later , keep on , m
Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm up for a sober weekend and I will look out for a chance to share.

Just wanted to say I support letitgo in her plan to clean up her email inbox.

I've just cleared mine up and it makes me feel all clean and refreshed, better able to face the rest of the tasks I need to do. A clogged email box is a nightmare. Just ask Hilary Clinton.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm on board for another sober weekend!

Good morning y'all!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi

Welcome letitgo, Brighterdayz, Frickaflip

Back in Blighty, just negotiated customs. I bought a wood and steel sled for my oldest grandaughter which is a work of art - gonna hang on to it until snows

Maybe you could risk an hour at an after work "do" Ken or even half an hour. It's not much fun with other people drinking but tolerable if they are good company and you leave before the drinkers get loaded
Old 09-10-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have always been ok with sharing. Well, talking a lot, anyway. Now I have to actually rein myself in, and ask myself "is this sharing, or just chatting?" Trying to edit and talk more about things that really matter. People tend not to listen if there is too much blather. I also try to listen to people more. Amazing what others will share if you just listen. And that's a way of sharing, too. Giving a gift of thoughtful silence to someone who just wants to talk to someone they trust. I have felt the power of sharing things that are painful to share, in both treatment and AA meetings. I have watched shy and reserved people open up and share secrets - and how their entire countenance changes while they are doing it. Unloading things that eat away at them is such a sense of relief. Especially when they see the nods of recognition and the genuine caring of the other people in the room. And when they realize that by sharing, they are helping someone else have the bravery to open their mouths. It's like magic.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I like sharing. Except not my stapler or my car, or my life story. AA meetings? No.

Okay, truth. I don't like to buy gifts for people. Why? Because I don't like to get gifts. Christmas - bah. I've been that way since I have been an adult. I don't have a problem buying things for kids, or new babies. But adults? It seems silly. The whole thing in our culture that requires spending $50 on everyone I'm friends with causes me angst.

I'll share my time, I'll do chores for anyone, I'll drive you to your appointment. I'll buy you lunch. Just don't expect a gift on your birthday or Christmas, okay? Maybe you'll get some homemade brownies, but that's it! And don't buy me anything! Kthx.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I am up for NFL kickoff starting tonight and continuing this weekend!!! SR Sober Football Season 2.0 starts in 11 hours..........

Join the SR football pool - no experience required - most have won using the eenie meenie miny moe method!

Who is your team ??

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ecovery-4.html
Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Spotted this roaming around town today as part of the "Jurassic Adventures" show....it was a complete surprise! Well it made me smile and gave everyone at the petrol station a good giggle
Attached Images
Old 09-10-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Grateful for the sober bus... definitely in!

Got a lot of great stuff planned for this sober weekend!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm on board for another sober weekend!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sun is shining Wolf is on the roof I'm in

Thanks Ken
Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm in for another sober weekend.

I don't think it's any coincidence that you talk about sharing, Weasel, after I just got done spending 30-45 minutes getting all caught up on this Newcomers board, something I haven't really been doing for the past two-three weeks. I could definitely feel myself moving away from what got me sober in the first place so am going to get back into that daily habit of reading all the new posts on this forum and chiming in when I can. My day is always better when I start it off with some sharing/giving.

I'm off work today. Going to at least one AA meeting and probably two. Spending most of the afternoon/early evening over at my dad's house.

Tetra--I might have to question my sobriety if I saw dinosaurs roaming around the gas station parking lot!

Wishing everyone a safe and sober start to their weekend!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The bus is hopping already - oh my!!

A big hello and welcome to Frickaflip, letitgo, and Brighterdayz - how are you guys doing? Just chime on in or hollar if ye need anything.

Today is my last day of work for the week - woo hoo!! Going on a big road trip tomorrow with a heavily pregnant Mrs B to visit some of her family and friends. One of our stops will be to the house we visited last Christmas time, where I engaged in some crazy, stupid, unforgivable drunken antics that woke me up from my years of abuse and signalled the start of this journey to sobriety/normality that I have been on. I am a little anxious about going there, but I need to face up to this.

B

Last edited by Behan; 09-10-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: B make bad grammer
Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I don't like buying gifts either, Bim. They always seem so trivial. "Merry x-mas, Sister. Thanks so much for all you and your husband have done for me, it's meant so much to me to have such caring and wonderful people by my side. I don't know how I would have made it to this point in my life without you.....here's a $50 gift card to Home Depot".

Just doesn't work. I also HATE when people spend money on me, because I have all the trinkets and doo-dadds that I want and can buy anything else.

Busy at work per usual, the trend continues. It's all good though. Returned from Mexico on Monday, home and settled again, looking forward to this early weekend!