Notices

I'm back for a second try

Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm checking in on day 5. Feeling really emotional and sad right now. Would love to cry into a glass of wine.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

The early days are always a bit up and down emotionally.

The really good thing is we can prove to ourselves we can be emotional, and then those emotions pass and we feel better, without applying alcohol to the situation

I hope tomorrow is a better day SansaS
Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I quit drinking cold turkey 4 ago and then I had a relapse and I've drinking again for the past 2yrs, about 2-3 drinks a day and I feel worse after drinking them. Everyday I tell my self not to drink and then i drink, but tomorrow I'm going to keep away from alcohol. I feel better about things when I don't drink
Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

When I drink even a couple drinks I tend to become angry, especially with my loved ones and say comments I shouldn't say
Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adrian2014 View Post
Doing and saying things while being drunk. Ashamed. Just a few days ago for me too and pissed.
Being here must be a good second start?
Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
I'm checking in on day 5. Feeling really emotional and sad right now. Would love to cry into a glass of wine.
I have the same tendencies, I get angry and say mean comments
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome back. I am very early in sobriety too, and I share your pain. A big turning point for me was embarrassing my husband at a business function. It was awful- I cringe just thinking about it. Unfortunately it took me an entire year of trying to moderate (unsuccessfully of course) before I accepted that I simply cannot drink. Period.

I second Hope's suggestion of reading Jason Vale's book, Kicking The Drink Easily. I downloaded it to my iPad and highlighted it like crazy. It made so much (common) sense to me and completely changed my perspective on choosing not to drink. It worked for me, but don't give up researching all of the tools available (AA/Rational Recovery) until you find something that resonates with you.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5 Sansas. For me, the toughest days were the first 10. After that, they got easier for me, little by little. One thing though, you can never let your guard down. Always have a plan for an unexpected hurdle that pops up.

You won't regret this decision to be sober. Keep giving it some time. You will feel better and stronger as the days go on.

Just don't drink today, you will feel better tomorrow for that decision today.

You can do this, lean on us as often as you need. We are here to help one another get our lives back.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi there, I've tried to give up drinking before and failed. This morning I am so hungover and over it. I feel embarrassed and ashamed. I really want to stop drinking. I guess I'll just start today.
I know that feeling of waking up in dread, that I drank to much and didn't remember what I said and who I talked to the night before. Everyday, I would say that and finally one early morning I told myself I've to quit
Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendation dharma. I'll look that book up for sure. Looking forward to snuggling up in bed (it's freezing here) and waking up on day 6!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taylor513 View Post
I have the same tendencies, I get angry and say mean comments
I'm on day 2 and I wanted to go to the liquor store this morning for a 24 ounce beer, but didn't. It just gives me a headache if I drink. I feel so bad being at the liquor store at 8.am. I've controlled my drinking for 2 yrs but I fear it will become 2 six packs a day again.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'll start shaking and I 'll feel a drink will help, but it doesn't
Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Checking in for day 6. Got a hard night ahead of me with a few temptations but I'm determined to get through it. Do you suggest having small goals or just thinking in your head that you'll never drink again? I would love to reach 6 months, but wonder if that's a silly goal cos what happens when (if) I reach it?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

SansaS- Welcome. I woke up 2500 days ago and said the same thing. Let me tell you, it's so much better on this side. Good luck to you.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

P.S. Take it 1 day at a time. 1 Hour at the time. Or even 1 minute at a time. Anyway that keeps you sober. I personally did not set a future goal, my goal each morning was to go to bed that night sober. What happened before or after didn't matter, just that day.
P.S.S. You want to know what the best part of being sober is? Not having to wake up in the morning cringing from embarrassment about what I did the night before. I HATED that feeling, even more than the hangovers. Stay strong sweetie. You can do this.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support. I can't seem to keep warm. I feel really cold. It is winter where I live, but I just feel unusually freezing. Is this normal?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm back again too, I still wake up craving alcohol, but have a cup of coffee instead. I'm in bondage to the liquor store opening at 8 a.m. I've been trying to keep busy in the morning and end up cleaning to keep my mind off of booze
Old 06-06-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I am back again recently (20 days) as well, and wine is also my weakness. I enjoy sitting on my patio with wine, or taking a bath. However, the quantity that I was drinking was not good again, it is amazing how quickly I went from not drinking at all to I can have the occasional glass, to a glass a day is healthy, and found myself back to finishing at least a bottle a night again.
I have been drinking lots of water, iced tea, and diet ginger ale.

We can kick this wine habit together.:-)

Last edited by Delilah1; 06-06-2015 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-07-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks Delilah. Yes it sneaks up very gradually. I love a bath with wine, but it got yo the point where I didn't enjoy anything without a wine. It's no way to live.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I just feel unusually freezing. Is this normal?
Winter is coming.

(Sorry couldn't resist that dumb joke.)

On a more serious note: Hang in there Sansa. That first week or week and a half was always the worst for me. My emotions were very up and down. Heck, I quit my job in a snit on day nine this time around. I mean, I needed to leave that job but I didn't need to leave it in a huff and all of a sudden.

But the emotions do start leveling out soon. The booze isn't going to fix anything, not even temporarily. Hang in there and don't take that first drink no matter what. As long as you don't take it, the second drink can't come either. Or the third or the eighth.

You're on the right path and did the right thing coming in here asking for help. Good job!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to you too Taylor513

D