Notices

Shake it off!! Weekender Thread Mar 20-22

Old 03-21-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hope you're feeling better by now saskia Well done for not driving down to the store.

Excellent and interesting post Mesa Man. In a way I think you have flagged up one more reason not to drink. Every time you buy booze using a debit or credit card that purchase is then recorded for eternity. What insurance company or medical provider could resist getting that information and using it to refuse treatment/payout

I'm just back from London's Brick Lane and I'm FULL of chicken dansak, bhoona gosht & mushroom bahti. £12 the lot. How do they do it?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Glad you posted Saskia
Old 03-21-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Thanks for caring! I'm doing better now and safely in for the night.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

We're always in safe for the night when we're here.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
We're always in safe for the night when we're here.
You got it, Trachy! Good night :-)
Old 03-21-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

I love the feeling of us all being in and safe for the night! Just ate a brownie with frozen yogurt as hormones are running amok even though I'm getting way too old for that nonsense! Watching hockey (Go Habs!) and starting a new crochet project....busy hands and repetition of crocheting is good for this recovering alcoholic
Old 03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Well done Saskia! Cool name by the way.

Lots of nice food references. Weasel - masterchef extraordinaire as per form. Sout - a curry from Brick lane is probably the best curry I have ever had! Only one nice Indian restaurant near me. The owners are from Bangladesh. Very authentic. I like to make my own.

Was someone talking about living/visiting Germany? I lived there for almost 2 years as a young man. I had a great time. Amazing food. I was far south so could see the Alps every day. The obsession with rules and order did irk me somewhat.

Ruby, I might get you to smash my phone as I still cant use it!

I'm having a quiet night in. Not feeling as foggy tonight. I have been thinking a lot about the function alcohol has served in my life - the interaction of neurobiology, social anxiety, self criticism, and culture. I might get around to write a blog post about it. Or maybe not, cos I'm a lazy git!!!!

Well, I hope everyone is sober, well, and being kind to themselves.

B
Old 03-21-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great dinner Saoutchik. I'm not a fan of Indian food normally, but I went a couple years ago to a joint in London down near White Hart Lane and it blew me away. One of the best dinners I ever had, could not believe it. The stuff we call "curry" here in North America isn't done right...kind of like "pizza" in the UK. How you Brits manage to ruin PIZZA is beyond me, but you've done a great job!

Nice afternoon today. Went to a cafe and enjoyed the weather. Hot down in these parts, but a nice breeze helped out. I meandered around with nowhere to go and nowhere to be. Suits me just fine, as long as I am not in a bar it works for me. Watching hoops and going to get online with my buddies to do my fantasy baseball draft in a few minutes. Let's all keep this Saturday night sober!

PS - Behan/Saout: that was me asking about Germany! Thanks for the info!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

I loved Biz Trips to Germany, but I was dealing with some seriously A-R Physicists and Tech types. They were very engaging. A Rarified Atmosphere of 'Atom' Smasher Folks. And, yes, there is an hyphen in 'A-R'! Also, the Trains run on time. Crisp Hotel Sheets. Massive Windows in the Rooms. Claudia Schiffer. As Behan notes -> amazing Food!

I ran across this Building Pic of a Cellphone Company I was involved in for the last 2 years of Corporate Life after a former Boss hired me away from the Physics World. Ummmm, how you say: 'Austere'?-) The Building tidiness was nice because - like the improved Mental Order most all of us SoberRovers now enjoy - it is calming. If you're in/out of that Culture. I'm not sure, but I think one of those Shrubs is not quite in a straight line.

'The Wall' @ The Wall by some German Metal Workers on a large Stage.

'In The Flesh' ~ The Scorpions ~ The Wall Live In Berlin

-

-
Old 03-21-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm trying to get kids in bed. Saskia, way to hang in there! I like the name too. I knew a girl in school named Saskia.

Della, the stalker comment made me laugh. We have local elections in April and I saw a yard sign that said "vote 'Bud' STALKER" on it. Glad it's not my last name. Not a great name for political office.

Ok. Time to get kids away. KZ enjoy the movie. I'm glad you didn't hammer the $;%t out of the phone. I was nuts at the time.
BigS, cool market! Thanks for the picture.

Ok, now I'm going!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Looks like a pretty jazzy place to work, MesaMan. I bet they have Toga parties and conga lines there every Friday...

Sounds like some drunks are outside my room in the common area of the hotel. Americans. A couple of guys are teaching a couple of girls how to play "Hearts". The tutorial seems to have been running for about 15 minutes, with one girl saying "ooooooh!" over and over again. Her voice is slurred.

Nothing says "getting the most out of a travel experience" like getting drunk and playing cards with other English-speakers in a hotel lobby. How exotic. They could be out in the city at dinner, or going to bed early to wake up for a volcano tour or a ride out to the jungle. I'm sure they have the cash, this isn't a cheap hostel it's a nice hotel by the American Embassy. Heck it's only 8pm so I guess I'll give them a break. I am really bothered by other people's noise and need to do better with my acceptance of this.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Checking in tonight. Took awhile to catch up with everything that has happened today. Got one project done today. I am now watching NCAA basketball. I heard U of A won, which I am pleased about. I was hoping Georgetown would get it together, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

Saskia-I am glad you posted here first and still sober.

Ruby-I am glad your daughter's foot is okay and is due to playing with her brother.

Saoutchik-you are quite the rebel.

BigS-you have a very nice market where you're at. Thanks for the photo and good luck on your draft!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hot topic of the night: what do you all think about drinking for those who have been addicted to other drugs?

I am doing my fantasy baseball draft online, while all of my other friends are together in Chicago. One of my friends just texted me to let me know that one of the guys is "passed out already". We're not even halfway finished, either.

Thing is, the guy who is passed out already has been to rehab before. For benzos, stuff like xanax, klonipin, etc. He's actually been pretty supportive of me in my recovery from alcohol. Anyway, he's recovered from benzos (he's been to treatment for this MULTIPLE times) yet he still partakes in heavy drinking. Tonight, he's already passed out at 9pm for an event we've all been planning for months. He's 40 years old. This doesn't sound like someone who has a good handle on his drinking.

Not my monkeys, of course. But it's a good question for this group: what do you think about recovered pill addicts still drinking alcohol? I know some members are currently experiencing this issue in their lives so I apologize to bring up sore spots. When I recovered from alcoholism, I smoked weed for a while and it quickly became clear it was a "replacement addiction" and it caused me some pain. I feel that I'm better off without all substances and many experts agree. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

I think benzos and alcohol are so similar that either is risky for someone who was addicted to the other.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Goodness, this thread is busy! Good to see.

Thanks, BigS, kzaug, Strategery, Ruby, for your helpful thoughts and feedback.
You're quite right, BigS, I should be looking forward to this trip, and I had been about 5 weeks ago, before my mood took a nosedive. Anyway, I will do what you suggest when my friends start with margaritas in the afternoon as they do, I can go for a walk or window shop. Loved your pic, please post more!

Ruby, my friends have a home in La Paz, Baja California Sur. I haven't seen their house yet. It has a guest casita, so I can go there to escape if I need to. Sounds awful, doesn't it, wanting to escape from my friends! They're good people, but they're used to me partying it up with them. I've told my friend about not drinking, but I expect her husband to give me a hard time about it. And he's the one who broke three ribs recently when he fell down drunk!!
I'll have a chance to speak Spanish which I love, have pretty good use of the language, so that will be good for me. And I'll be staying close to SR!
On to another sober day, weekenders!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

BigS, I still remember my husband the crack addict/alcoholic saying to me "well, I can drink a beer or two if I want because I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an addict. Now you? You are an alcoholic. You can't drink." I looking at him incredulously. That was shortly before my last relapse.

While I did prove him right, that I can't drink, it was such an asinine thing for him to say. Gateway drug all the way. I think if one is addicted to anything, alcohol is just the toehold the other addiction needs. Think about the number of smokers who quit and only light up after a few beers. "Danger, Will Robinson".
Old 03-21-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I would agree with you BigS.
I think it is always easy to replace one addiction for another, whether it is cannabis, benzos, pain pills, extreme dieting, extreme anything, etc. It is easier to just switch to focusing on something else rather than deal with emotions and the underlying issues.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

I meant to also say that once my husband starts thinking he can have a drink or ten, he's back to the crack not long after.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hey, BigS, I think your friend is playing with fire. Having dealt with his benzo addiction, he would be better, as we all are, to avoid any mind altering substance, IMO.
Really appreciate your quote btw, very helpful.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

quick check in - VILLANOVA IS OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT.

hope everyone is well this fine Saturday.