Notices

Shake it off!! Weekender Thread Mar 20-22

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Hello there, I am not sure where this weekend went, it went to fast. I cant believe its going to be Monday tomorrow!! The time needs to go a little slower next time. Anyways, Just checking in and hope everyone had awesome weekend.

I had my ups and downs this weekend, hope next weekend will be a better weekend!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Weas, so sorry to hear that your friend is ill. Sounds like you've been a great part of his life in recent times, and he in yours.

About to leave San Jose. Heading for SJO in about 30 minutes and will be off to GUA shortly thereafter. It's so nice traveling and not worrying about all the "extra stuff" that comes with being a drug user and drinker.

In the past, I would have been hungover and probably suffering some pretty bad anxiety if I were sober...but more than likely I'd have already been drunk by noon. I'd also be asking myself "did I leave any weed in my carry-on bag?" and I'd have to triple-check to make sure. I'd often leave marijuana on the bedside table, thinking it would be a nice "tip" for the maid. Yeeesh. I would also start being antsy about getting to the airport and would be already thinking about the airport bars - where I'd spend $30-$50 on drinks over a couple hours at least. Sometimes I'd be so drunk by the time I got on a plane that I'd pass out immediately. I remember once I spilled a drink all over the passenger next to me...my first thought wasn't to help that passenger, it was to order another drink. I was denied by a veteran flight attendant. Ugh.

Today I am drug and alcohol free and have none of those concerns. I have arranged a taxi. He will take me to the airport. I'll check in, have a coffee, and surf the web. I'll board my flight, and get home in time to watch the evening NCAA games and maybe squeeze in a TV show before bed. It's the sober life for me on this Sunday. Have a great one all!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Settling in on my Sunday as usual, no work tomorrow which is great, a long weekend!!

With Ireland winning the Rugby yesterday and our local ice hockey league being won last night there's been a lot going on!!

Been trying some new recipes out too, this evening going for something indian inspired again, I put together a nice chicken marinade earlier, so gonna try that out shortly and see how that turns out!!

Let's keep it Sober everyone!!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Weasel, I'm sorry to hear about Tommy. It's hard. You're both in my thoughts.

JD, you are in my thoughts as well. It's never easy.

Tetra, I'm glad you had such a good weekend with your dad. A wedding at a castle sounds lovely. Pictures, maybe?

Saoutchik, I did read about the execution bell from Newgate. How utterly grim. There are some fascinating biographies on the St. Sepulchre website for some of those interred there. A lot of work went into the.. What struck me was how many children died young and the early ages at which people did die. Forties and fifties. We are fortunate.

Daughter antsy to go to a nature area to go walking. Husband and son were going but Mr. Ruby is now napping and son on electronics. Time to go.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Had a really nice forest walk today in glorious spring sunshine!

I like your description of sober travel BigS! I have always been intoxicated when flying.

I hope everyone is having a peaceful sunday so far.

B
Old 03-22-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ruby,

It is truly creepy, there is a tunnel between the crypt and what used to be Newgate prison (now the Old Bailey)

The Bellman would ring the bell outside the condemned prisoners cell and recite the following

"All you that in the condemned hold do lie
Prepare you, for tomorrow you shall die
Watch all and pray, the hour is drawing near
That you before the Almighty shall appear
Examine well yourself in time repent
That you may not to eternal flame be sent
And when St Sepulchre's bell tolls
The Lord have mercy on your souls"

Cheery stuff eh?

They were real barbarians in those days
Old 03-22-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hope you are feeling OK now Jen
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Greetings Sober Enders!

This weekend has flown by and I have little to show for it. And that is just fine. I did do a bunch of baking and checked out a fine estate sale. Been doing a little art today, that always eats up bunches of time.

Read this today and it cracked me up for some reason.

When Cats are Sad
Bartender: What'll ya have?
Cat: Shot of rum.
[Bartender pours it]
[Cat slowly pushes it off the bar]
Cat: Another.

Hope everyone is doing well today!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Olive, sounds like what my cats do when bored. Push things off the table when they're bored.

Pouncer, sounds like a good time. I'm going out on a limb and guessing your abstinent neighbor is in AA as I've heard the "breaking out in handcuffs" phrase there. It is nice to socialize with non drinkers. No pressure involved. You never have to think of what you will do or say if offered a drink. Because you won't be. Way to stay strong.

Saoutchik, next time I'm in London I'll have to check out the creepy passage. I did once sit in on part of a trial at the Royal Courts of Justice. It was interesting. For a short while

Behan, I'm envying your walk in spring sunshine. Little Miss and I went to a nature area for a walk and just about froze. Winter coats, absolutely no sunshine, and freezing cold. It's never coming!!! One to three inches of snow expected tomorrow.

I'm baking chicken leg quarters for dinner with leftover broccoli rice casserole. And now I'm going to throw in laundry.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Weasel, sorry to hear about your friend. Stories like your friend's snap me back into reality when I think I can have 'just one.'

JD, I hope your girlfriend and her sister will at least have some quality time together - very sad for everyone.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Sat in.. started my new puzzle... and started watching Mrs. Doubtfire.

Robin is amazing. simply amazing.

and ice cream... I am so spoiled!

I choose not to consider life at the moment. It's Mrs Doubtfire for goodness sakes!!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Jen73 & Olive you are right - where DID the weekend go?

I hope that by next weekend none of you will be having anymore unseasonal snow days

It'll be Monday in just over an hour Urghh!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

How's everyone doing? I've been pretty occupied and haven't read up on the thread this weekend. Just wanted to check in, say hello and post a song for Ruby - cause I know she loves KC and the Sunshine Band. I just know it. You too Strategery...

Old 03-22-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Robin Williams skating the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder between takes of 'Mork & Mindy'.

Robin floating out there among the Stars made me think of this one...

'Stars' ~ Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Robin Williams On Mall.jpg (53.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Freaking awesome LB.... AWww shake shake... SHAKE SHAKE .... Shake yu'r bootea! Awweh!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone had a good weekend spk soon guys
Old 03-22-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Are they in the Big Ten yet?
No, but I don't think Ohio State would do well in the Pac-12 either.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Olive, sounds like what my cats do when bored. Push things off the table when they're bored.
Have they pushed off anything interesting Ruby?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Nice post of KC and the Sunshine Band Lbrain! We're tempted to see Earth, Wind and Fire since they're coming out here. Strangely enough we saw Kool and the Gang fronting for Van Halen over a year ago. Was a rather strange dichotomy in music, but fun.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hope your weather improves soon Ruby so you can soak up some sunshine with the kids.

Robin Williams was a genius.

Monday is almost upon us. Tough week ahead, but one day at a time.

All this talk of ice cream is making me......

I scream
you scream
we all scream
for ice cream!

I have a little weekend left in me my fellow soberenders!

B