Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

made it through day 4 no skoal. just had a grapefruit for bfast, it warmed up to 26 over night, not supposed to go above 20 all weekend here.

I am probably one of the few who thought Paul Rubens was a genius over the years.
Pee Wee's Playhouse was more adult entertainment than a kids show. It's been remastered and you can get the whole series on bluray... but you can't sit there drinking and smoking pot watching it this time. > oops < I can still laugh at this sober.

Anyway, remember ICCC - ice cream cures cravings... and if it's the kind of weather that you'd rather have soup - MAKE ICE CREAM SOUP!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

This year my tax prep employer implemented new proprietary software. Wednesday I informed them that I noticed under certain situations their software does NOT compute taxes in the most advantageous way for the client. Then I showed them the workarounds I am using to compensate for the software's shortcomings.

Thursday they put out a bulletin to every office in the region to discontinue using that software and start using the software from last year (which has been updated, but they were trying to migrate away from it).

While I can't be sure it was my input that caused the software shift, I suspect it may have been. Or, at least, it helped make the case for the shift. In the aggregate this might save people hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of dollars in unnecessary taxes.

I feel pretty good about that. Better than any fleeting good feeling a damn drink ever gave me. The theme for this weekend's thread is Finding Joy in Sobriety. This weekend I am living it.

[Now the problem is that I don't really know the older software, so I've got some intense learning to do!]
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Congrats Non!! Thats awesome!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

You're my hero, Non!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
[Now the problem is that I don't really know the older software, so I've got some intense learning to do!]
lol ... I almost missed the small print. The devil is in those details for sure.

Good Job ... and good luck with the new\old software.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi everyone...it's day 5 for me and since I am the queen of relapsing, I am worried about the weekend. Getting ready to leave for work now, but I plan on hanging around here a lot this weekend. I need the support. Have a great day all!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Focus

My Sober joy is in what I call 'Focus'.

My High School-teaching Wife used to cover Health and Sex Ed. Lotsa Stories there, but I'll keep to the main Topic. Of 10 or so Indicators re: Alcohol/Drugs in her Lesson Plans, #1 was that we Alks react differently to the small frustrations in Life. Yep. I/we drink 'em away. Unsuccessfully, over the Long Term.

My primary Coping Mechanism - deduced; not read anywhere - is to Zen out and focus only on the task at hand. This is a good thing, obviously, when working with Power Tools or Electricity. But, also in other activities. When I'm grinding Coffee, I'm only grinding Coffee. I don't think about Bills to pay [we have about none], or when the next Vehicle Oil Change is. I'll move on to think about that stuff in a minute. Serial thinking.

When a bunch of Guano in Life isn't allowed to stack up and become 'too much', I don't run for the Bottle. I've padlocked this Mental mechanism at thee most fundamental level; at the onset of the drinking 'cause'. If Mental Discipline, and new Routines, forestalls Life stuff 'stacking up' on me, the reactionary drinking 'threat' pretty much goes away. And, it has. You can't fall back to an option that's not thought of as an option. I've mentally shifted 'picking up' again into the unthinkable. Permanently evacuating the proverbial 500 lb. Gorilla from the Room clears the way for joy in everyday Life.

Be in the here and now. Here and now. Only the here and now.

I used to Multi-task with the best of them while solving Tech Issues Worldwide. Injury or Death was possible if I effed up on Systems advice controlling complex Machinery, or fatal 'Etchant' Gases used to manufacture Semiconductors. Multi-tasking naturally carried over into my Private Life. I stopped doing most all that. No interest anymore. No need.

In other News, we watched 'Pee Wee' religiously. The Kiddie Show for Adults, as noted above.

A lil '80s Funk from 'The Godfather Of Soul' popped into my Head. James Brown bustin' his moves...

A couple of Locals stopped by below. I cracked open the Master Bedroom French Door w/o being noticed.

'Living In America' ~ James Brown ~ Rocky IV

-----
Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

SPAM last week, Pee Wee this week... Oh my. Good times, lol.

MesaMan, your pics make me wanna move to the mountains, seriously! My husband and I are considering the woods, the ocean, and the mountains for the little cabin we plan to build at some point. I lean toward woods, but wow... those mountains have me reconsidering.

Lots on my mind this weekend. Reading a few books simultaneously and have it all swirling in my head right now.

The dogs had their baths last night so that is one less chore to be done this weekend, and I am glad for that!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

kudos nonsensical - it's good to know that not everyone just goes through the motions.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me. Made it through a strip club lunch meeting followed by a 9hr physically challenging work day with no alcohol before,during or after. I hope I can make it through the superbowl.. Actually have already offered to be the DD for my friends. Picked up a nice new contract yesterday,so back to work,with a clear mind,today. Heading to the gym after a light breakfast.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Welcome Lovessunrises and Dontremember!!!!

You both have 5 down. Stay with us by checking in and know you can stay sober... even during a superbowl.

Great job at being the DD.

Congrats on 5!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Great stuff MM... Good advice to stay focused.

I do that often. When my mind wanders I compartmentalize and focus on the "task". A very helpful tool for me.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Sign me up for a sober weekend please. Just gotta get through these next 2 nights and I want some good sleep tonight!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Fri , Sat and Sun are always a challenge , I am sure I am not alone with this! Especially since that song "Drinking Class" just came out by Lee Brice ... lol , love that song though...

Either way, I'll be around mainly Sunday since I'll be working then..
Old 01-30-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Great posts everyone! I'm enjoying catching up after work. Fri evening here. Mrs B in work so home alone. Any film or tv show recommendations? Seen American Sniper and Selma already. Something that Mrs B won't like! ☺

B
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi everyone, evening here so the weekend has started and this time I don't have to work tomorrow.
We actually had some snow this morning (its gone now)

I might brave the cold tomorrow/Sunday and work on my 49 year old Lancia - it's basicaly a Lancia shaped lump of rust so its pretty daunting

Thanks to disasterous haircut I will be avoiding people - new barber has given me a Kim Jong-un

One whole month sober tomorrow
Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone!!

Settling in on my Friday evening, so TV and Green Tea is the plan, still very cold here and snowing on and off, so I'm going nowhere!!

Welcome to all newcomers to the thread, no shortage of support here on SR to get you through the weekend, which was always a difficult time of the week when I got Sober!!

Let's do this Weekenders!!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

LiveLikeGold6 ... sleep is good! Love waking and the first thought is "thank god I didnt drink"!

Nofearnobeer - This thread was born out of people just like us who find those three days a different challenge. I look at it as I only drink on days not ending in a "Y".

Behan... I saw sniper... was selma done well? doh! Oprah is in that... of course it was. No really... was it?

Went driving in the snow just for fun. My car handles well. Love winter as much as summer. The cold does not bother me but the other day I looked at the car temp and was -9... I was wondering where that draft came from!

Done with work and ready to settle in. Relax a bit.

Hope all is well with the weekenders!!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

49 y/o lancia … wow that's a rare beast !

Cool to see the new people checking in.
If you really feel the need for support then putting up a thread in the newcomers area is a good idea as sometimes cries for help can get missed when put in the mixed bag that is the weekend thread, it can move pretty fast , of course your welcome here too

I think the idea of giving up drinking could be better thought of as grabbing hold of a sober life and "owning it".

Finished work and am tired, late on 2 of my invoices and early on this week so the customer has freaked a bit seeing 3 weeks money in one lump sum … errk keeping it a regular business .. when will it sink in to my head Doh ! maybe i should have spaced it out a bit ..

If i run a business i might outsource the operation to mex-m8 as he's far more regular like that … like MM was saying earlier i'm a serial focuser .

Catch you all later i'm going to snuggle down a bit , drink some tea ,

later , m
Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
The theme for this weekend's thread is Finding Joy in Sobriety. This weekend I am living it.
Nice! You are really amping up Nons - when the ball gets rolling downhill it's a great feeling and it sounds like you are getting rewarded for every ounce of work you put into your studies and efforts. Amazing how these things happen eh? Congrats again.

Just winding down at the office, been a busy week. I've been working directly with my company CEO on a project to promote one of our newest tech innovations. It's been difficult, but rewarding. One side benefit is that it's been cool working directly with the man who signs my paycheks every day! Certainly helps my profile, and results have been good as well.

The girlfriend is coming over later, we're going to watch a movie and have an early night. We are driving up to Lake Atitlan tomorrow morning and spending the day/evening out in this gorgeous part of the world. This is going to be awesome. If you haven't heard of it, here's a google link: https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I am already inspired and full of joy, and I expect to feel even more joyful in my sobriety over the next couple of days! Keep travelin', folks!