Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey y'all ,
Fine way to start k . Joy ? Happiness ? Hmmm big ideas .

For me drinking caused me pain and misery, hangovers and probably being over the limit the next morning … shaky hands , sweats , incontinence , poor decision making …

When i gave up drinking there was a a few weeks of grimness … kinda like an elongated hangover .. Blotchy face cleared up , sleeping eventually got better ,

My mood got worse until i deliberately decided to back off , unclench the fists and jaw ..

Life still happens there are tribulations and upsets there are really great days too
The day i quit my 6 year old job ,
the day i quit my 6 month old job
They were both pretty cool as i was confident enough in my skills to survive on the lucrative but temporary world of contracting .

Today i find myself with enough to live on for over 2 years invested in basic stocks and six months in cash in the deposit account .

3 years ago on giving up drinking i was living pay cheque to pay cheque …
2003 i'd given up work and sold my assests off to live not working …
2008 i ran out of money and was in a foreign country with debt , no job , no hope .

I came back to the UK unable to claim benefits having been out the system for so long i got into worse debt re-patriating myself and my small personal effects .

Once i had work in 2008 i paid of my debts and got into spread betting on financial instruments and blew through about £100,000 in the next few years …

2011 i quit drinking , 2013 i quit the leveraged spread betting/trading , there are still habits and more moderate and healthy things to learn ..

If an old rouge like me can turn things round i'm sure most of you can

The sun gets up each morning , i have all day to be productive and learn things and can sleep well having played my hand as best i can with the sun set.

I try not to get paralysed by feeling inadequate against my hopes and dreams for the future , my horizon is firmly teathered to the end of the week
I try not to get paralysed by ghosts of the past , i have no grudges or resentments, just drop it ….

By carefully managing my own expectations, not buying into a lifestyle or lifestyle inflation i find i have abundance in my life in lots of ways .

What really makes me happy ? a roof paid for this month , clean bedding , fresh coffee , fresh bread , the day before me ready to play again , clear headed , clean and sober ,

The up's the down's both are fine as they are both facets of truly living , this is "really" living with no escape or get out claus till the end .

It is verdant and alive , It is glorious .

m
Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I'm in there like swim wear!!!!! Sober weekend warriors, unite!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Aboard!

Mecanix thanks for the great post, what a story!

I hit 90 days Tuesday and didn't even notice. Have a little anxiety creeping up around the edges over an upcoming extended family vacation in Mexico -- by extended I mean 13 family members, brother, sister, in- laws ,children , spouses, grandson. I've never had a vacation from alcohol on a trip. It's 3 weeks away, why not start fretting now!

And this weekend, taxes. Ugh.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Read this again.

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
When I first stumbled on SR I had two extreme reactions.

First, I was reading about myself in the words of complete strangers. I thought whoa... Am I that typical?

The second was, wow... Maybe there is hope for me? Others have stopped.

At that time the idea I could ever be happy and joyful was a far off dream and certainly ridiculous. Not any more....
'cause that is just straight up real talk.

On the bus!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I was sitting here perched for shotgun. But this bird kept on singing outside the window. So I went to get my binoculars and bird book - wanted to try to identify it from it's song. There it goes again - 4 sharp shrills, then 5 or 6, but mostly four. I think it's mad that I didn't fill my feeders...
While I was away for a minute, gilmer takes shotgun out from under my nose. But I was warming up the buses waiting for weasel to show up.
Ah, we both know that the bird watching is just a ruse... You're just too slow on the draw.

I think its sweet how you two both gun for shotgun.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In, for the weekend.

In terms of Joy, I found it on May 5, 2013 my first day of sobriety. I now can actually experience and feel joy/ laughter everyday. I am joyful every morning when I wake up feeling good and with a clear head.

Crazy weekend here in Vegas, Super Bowl. Meeting some high school buddies, here from Texas for the game Sunday AM for brunch. Going to a house party for the game with good friends who support my recovery. Staying away from the crazies on the strip.

Going to legally put some wagers in on the Seahawks and some of the prop bets.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wise words from all, and the weekend is just beginning!

Spent time freshening up and cooking a snow-bound feast. Feeling content.

B
Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My joy for the day... a cup of Paris tea and a few good books.

Also, a candle that smells like coffee and maple syrup.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Count me in for the ride!

Joy for me these days is simple. Food on the table and a warm bed. The rest is all cherries on the top.

Enjoy the sober weekend everyone!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Your a good man Weasel

Great post mecanix - wish I knew about complicated financial products.

LBrain not much in the way of birdlife in London but there are some belligerent pigeons that congregate outside my office window (Sprouts - they humble us all)
Old 01-29-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The most awesomest thread this week! Great advice and good comments!

It feels like Friday to me. We are getting another 6-8 inches tomorrow so working from home.

Thin pounded chicken breasts with prosciutto and provolone with lemon and white wine sauce... capers... finished under the broiler for a nice bubbly cheese!! The white wine is a non-alcoholic cooking wine for flavor. Over hand made pasta from a place in town I like. Gives me something to do this evening.

I guess cooking is a joy for me.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm still milking three days of leftovers!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've enjoyed cooking at different times in my life, Weasel. And then it just gets old and I lose interest for a while. Then, I'm suddenly back into it again I have found the biggest killer of cooking joy is marriage, lol. I cook for him but now it's a chore. I guess it was fun when I "wanted" to cook. Oh well. Life goes on.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm still totally spent from the whole Thanksgiving, 3 Christmases, and New Year's energy expenditure! Between cowering in intimidation and studying for my class, I just haven't gotten back into the swing. Fortunately, my husband likes to cook!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I wish mine wanted to cook more. I dated guys in the past who were good cooks. My husband isn't one of those, lol. But he did open up one of my cookbooks and made an amazing dish once! I give him credit... if he must cook, he will do it, and he does it pretty well

What classes are you taking?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I just finished with Hebrew II.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Joy is coming home after a business trip and I hope getting in some snow tubing this weekend.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ouch, BigS!!! That's one heck of a stingray kiss. Keep healing up!

I'm in and excited for another weekend on the SR bus! We need to make a stop at the gun range. That's right. Gun range. I've got a date at a gun range on Saturday and I can't believe either of those two points: date or gun range.

I'm going to learn how to shoot guns with a super cute cowboy, friends...unbelievable to me!!! This is something that would've never been an option 4 months ago. That's joy for me right now!

I'll let you know how it goes. Be prepared to duck! Lol
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yay Conquest! Sounds like fun. I went shooting once and enjoyed it. A police officer friend showed me how to fire his Glock. Scary and fun at the same time.

I'm at the office trying to figure out vacation days. My employer has switched over to an uber complicated method of vacation calculations that makes my head spin. The upshot is that we can only carry over 5 days from the prior year. I had 9 days at the end of the year. I thought I had 3. I lost 4 days of vacation. But, I can't miss what I didn't know I had. I was satisfied with the time I thought I had last year and I have two more days to roll over than I anticipated. So, not bad.

Time to roll out of here. I drove in today. And I have a hair appointment tonight. Me time - wash that gray right out of my hair.

Thanks Mec for your post. Wow. What a life. Honestly. Mine looks so boring sometimes.

Now I get to be aggravated and angry fighting rush hour traffic. I think I will turn on the music station instead and peacefully creep along.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lots of outright cravings tonight. Odd since I don't normally get them like this. Maybe because we have another snow storm and I will be in the house again all day.

I will just let them pass. I don't acknowledge them. Well obviously I did mentioning them here but I more observe. I don't have the time or the energy to go backwards.

I went and looked at myself in the mirror. I like all the changes. I like the weight loss. The new beard. The skinny face where I used to be puffy. No freaking way!!!

Hmmmm... I did make a cheese steak instead of the chicken. Chicken tomorrow when being home all day will be a better cook day.

Time for an episode or two of American Horror Story, Starting season two.

Have fun Conquest!!!