Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

There's a song on that album that has always resonated with me. It's like it was written for me and my life. I've only in the last year found what the song was telling me.

Last edited by trachemys; 01-29-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: I did not mean to tell you the song. Listen to the album.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Brain!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks Olive! It was a bacon extravaganza in the article. Instructions on making "lardons" which I have seen in recipes but haven't made. I think I will be buying deli slab bacon.

It had recipes for bacon jam too. Bacon dressing. How to do that cross hatching on a meat loaf.

And still I need to experiment with the phone to post pictures or I will accidentally be posting falling ice photos in the summer if I can't get it off the clipboard.

Time for ice cream and then bed. Hair a success. Husband home and listening to Neil Young on his phone. Now it's Cats in the Cradle.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I guess I still struggle some days, but I know I am much happier being sober and don't want to go back, which helps me when I am struggling. Just thinking about going back gives me shudders some days. I seriously thought about picking up beer on the way home, but didn't stop. Instead, I got myself some dinner and gave myself a brownie, which helped a bit. Being on SR helped get me through (along with Bim) too and made me feel stronger. I was still having some cravings, so I went and worked out. The cravings are now gone.

BigS-I am glad you are okay and were able to get anti-venom right away.

Ruby-I enjoyed your photos. I finally got around tonight in developing pictures I took from my bike ride this weekend. I wish it was this nice here now. It's been cold, cloudy and windy today.

I'm still trying to catch up on what all is going on, on the thread.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Super anxious as I am trying to finish my application for grad school tomorrow and the application needs to be postmarked by 2/1/15 which is a Sunday.

So I will be running around like a madwoman trying to get everything done and make it to the post office before work tomorrow but no later than Saturday AM. Yep, no time for drinking for this girl!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
Wow BigS...ouch! That must have really hurt. I loved your long tale...thar she blows! Thank goodness you are ok.
Ruby.....I'm glad to hear that you pampered yourself tonight. With your busy life and all you do, saying that you deserve it is an understatement. I bet your hair looks fabulous.
So...I'm battling the sugar addiction. Haven't had ice cream in 2 weeks. Tonight I thought I would lose my mind. I was too lazy to drive to the store. So I made a big batch of oatmeal cookies. Yum!! I am not lazy when it comes to baking something wonderful . I may experiment with stevia next time...I suppose I could have substituted it for the sugar. So far, it's a losing battle.
Well, I am looking forward to the weekend. I plan to rest and relax.
See you all later.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

In my experience cravings lasted for about a year , the intensity didn't change but the duration between "attacks" got longer with time .

Haven't had one for over two years now .

Everyone here is so good in keeping me mindful of how horrid the experience is for me that i really wonder, just what the &*(! i was doing all those years .

Keep reminding yourselves how poor and grim the physical experience is , the body always rejects it ..

Have a good friday , off to work here , L8r

m
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great sober friday everyone
Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend! They are always the hardest for me so I'll keep checking in here. Have a good one
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome Lizelle!!! Please do check in. Lets see you through to a sober Monday and feeling good with yourself for staying strong.

Funny my first several sober Mondays after a all sober weekend I did not feel like I was strong. I was cranky and peeved about life and everything. But still strangely satisfied as well.

What I am trying to say is we can have mixed emotions about accomplishing a sober goal. But given time they always turned to happiness and ultimately joy for me.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good Morning from a sober snowy Maine! It will snow all day here and not likely I will venture out.

Work from home. Stay warm and snuggly.

I think back to bed for a lazy start!!

K
Old 01-30-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

WAKE UP! Another day awaits!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

A big groan for Pee Wee Herman!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning.

NewHope -- Good luck on the Grad School app. That's wonderful!

Trach -- Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day "... joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to you and me!" That's not a bad thing.

Work today, and some grocery shopping later.

Happy Friday, Weekenders!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by jerri11 View Post
Trach -- Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day "... joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea, joy to you and me!" That's not a bad thing.
Better that than FishHeads.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Casual Friday, wearing jeans to work always makes it seem like an easier day. Tonight, family dinner at a great local steakhouse to celebrate SILs birthday.

Big S, youch! What happens if a person is stung and can't get the anti-venom right away? Long term damage?

Ruby I have invested way too much money in my hair the past ten years. I get how important it is to feel put together. Glad you splurged. I am nursing a little fantasy of cutting my hair really short and letting it go to its natural, mostly gray color at my next birthday. Wow would I save some money!

I love peewee Herman , in small doses.

Happy Friday all!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

i'm in for the weekend. xx
Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

TGIF!!! Team PeeWee! I think I'll add this movie to my list of weekend To Do's. (And yes. I own a copy on DVD.). Have a fantastic Friday, y'all!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Lizella, yes, stick here. Getting through the first weekends was tough but this thread was immensely helpful. Distraction is good too.

Petals, good to see you.

Bernie, I've toyed with the idea of going gray but it's just too much for me to think about. Owing to genetics I've been almost entirely gray since my late thirties. My kids are so relatively young still so I don't fancy the "are you mom or grandma" questions quite yet. Vanity!

Time to get the crew rolling to get to band practice at 7. Already we are running late. Typing here isn't helping that!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Ruby - gorgeous pic of downtown. Nothing like walking downtown in Chicago on a Friday after work! Brings back all sorts of feels....