Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 01-31-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

It's Saturday morning here....had a bad day at work yesterday, but didn't come home and drink last night like I normally would have. I have to get through this weekend. I'm only on day 6, but weekends are always the hardest. I'm trying to stay busy and distracted, and I'm going to stay close to SR this weekend too. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Sober muscles. I like that phrase! What did I do? A lot of distraction. Some swearing. Ice cream. More swearing. Playing the tape through knowing how wretched I would feel in the morning. AV saying "you have a year. Surely getting drunk one night wouldn't hurt." But that's where AV slipped up. It didn't say "have one". It said " get drunk". I see no point in moderating. Its all or nothing and for today I choose nothing by way of alcohol and all of a better life.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

At a book store. Any good novel recommendations for mystery or suspense??
Old 01-31-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Anewyear ,
for me moderation was always more frustration than not drinking at all . remembering looking at other people trying to be polite wondering how they only managed on two small glasses of wine so far … GRRR … 4 people having wine and only one bottle ..

I remember the frustration , i wanted getting drunk with free flowing wine , to achieve a state of dissolution . Moderation is not possible for this old raging drunk .

Also any alcohol makes this body sweat , lethargic , bloated , headaches , dry mouth , purple tongue , say daft and text horrid things, makes me isolated and do things like potentially drive over the alcohol limit the next day .

Ruby i'm glad the "moment" of madness didn't last .. i really like and value all my weekend warrior brothers and sisters .

Had a good sleep today , a day of bed & not doing anything much … sometimes i need it but have to be wary it doesn't last too many days as otherwise it can be a bit depressing .
Looking forwards to quitting the job next week and finding something different to do , new people to meet and new things to learn

later, m
Old 01-31-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hi! 19 days sober here! And, my third sober weekend...Thanks so much to Weasel and all of you. I look forward to this thread all week just like I used to look forward to opening that bottle on Saturday morning before breakfast...

Still struggled a little this week with the cravings and the AV which always seems to say, "Awww, come on... you can just have one....." I found a post during the week that SoberWolf shared with a link to tips on with dealing with cravings. That helped me a lot.

Going to lunch today with my family to celebrate my niece's birthday and then to a Mardi Gras boat parade.

Have a great weekend, everyone, and thanks for being here.....

Grace
Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Who Are You?

Ah Yes ~

I recall feeling vividly like I turned a corner at about 2 weeks in. Then, at ~1 month in. Thinking: 'hey, this is do-able'. Then, ~3 months in. Little Sobriety Benchmarks. Or, big ones, I suppose.

Going at Life Sober wasn't awful/terrible after some months. But, it sho was fn weird! It became The New Normal. No looking back. I don't want that Life ever again. I can't lust after something I don't want. So, the seduction of being Hammered 24/7 in Early Retirement simply evaporated over time. Being busy is fine. Staying still is fine, too. That's the point of Sobriety IMO.

The allusion above to Brandy - my DOC for a while - made me think of Pete Townshend blasting through a Bottle/day. He finally kicked his Brandy, and other Habits, by Pro Detox with a 'famous' U.K. Doctor who's Detoxed other Rockers.

Expand the Vid linked below to Full Screen to read the Lyrics. They'll make a lot of sense in the context of being written back when Pete was doing a Bottle/day, as I did for a long time. I had time. I had money.

See below one of many Sunsets from the Mesa-top Solar Retirement Joint I designed and built. I could either Sober up and hang around for more of those, or not. It wasn't an easy decision. But, it was a simple one.

Keep on. You'll never regret it.

'Who Are You?' ~ The Who

-----

-----
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I want to retire there! Day 6 and feeling better everyday!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
EndGame

What's a "strip club lunch meeting?"
Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

LOL..Where I live the clubs serve food,actually good food. These guy's chose to have our meeting there. I live in a wild city! Some would call it a sin.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Had a little spat with the husband this morning over his decision to walk the dogs along a FOUR LANE HIGHWAY. Yeah. Enough said.

*sigh*

I'm trying to get it over it.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Strip clubs do tend to have good food... I hear... just saying... but I think meetings are held there for the good audio visuals aids and overhead lighting. I personally am not a fan of objectifying.

So much awesome support going on here this weekend!!! Great stuff!!

Back from the bookstore and got The Power of Now. Neither a suspense or a mystery but I think it might be timely to help me clear this head a bit.

SoberJennie... that would get me a bit riled up as well. But no reason to drink over it.

Bee-U-Tee-Full pic MM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
SoberJennie... that would get me a bit riled up as well. But no reason to drink over it.
Yeah, well, if this was enough to drink over, Weasel, I'd be drinking daily, lol

No suggestions on suspense books, sorry. I don't think I've read one of those in quite a while.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

High End Questions

'What's a 'strip club lunch meeting?'

Ah, so many possible Punchlines. So little time...

Having had plenty of these - even a few Int'l - I categorize this Topic into one quite like High End Real Estate. If you have to ask the question - as in, 'how much is this Mansion?" - you're perhaps not in the best position to ask the question in the first place.-)

Fortunately, one younger Dude I took to one such fine Establishment for some Tech Training remembered this unique Setting. He later became my Boss. We did a lil Travel together around Asia. All were had by a good time.

I'm way into the Scientific Method. The only sure way to discern that such Settings don't trigger me is go back to said Club Setting and have my usual Lemonade.

I'll report back after this Test. It's the least I could do. If I could do any less, I would.

-----
Old 01-31-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
LOL..Where I live the clubs serve food,actually good food. These guy's chose to have our meeting there. I live in a wild city! Some would call it a sin.
A food critic (or maybe it was a group of critics?) here in NYC recently did a review of non-traditional places where one would review food...gas stations, 7-11, sushi at Walgreen's...places like that.

I remember that one critic ordered a pasta dish at a strip club. He reported that it was like Chef Boyardee and was served with a hot dog roll instead of bread. Fine dining for a twelve-year-old.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

A food critic (or maybe it was a group of critics?) here in NYC recently did a review of non-traditional places where one would review food...gas stations, 7-11, sushi at Walgreen's...places like that.

I remember that one critic ordered a pasta dish at a strip club. He reported that it was like Chef Boyardee and was served with a hot dog roll instead of bread. Fine dining for a twelve-year-old.
Haha..I had hot wings..can't go wrong with deep frying frozen wings!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
EndGame

Now when you say "hot wings"...
Old 01-31-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Now when you say "hot wings"...
I'm seeing a Dr for it next week. Don't judge.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

One of my favorite misnamed places - "gentleman's club." If you were a gentleman, you wouldn't go inside those joints! But far from me to denigrate the employees of such an establishment with labels of 'loose' or 'skank' or whatever. I actually dated a stripper and she was a nice girl. So spare me the backlash.
I just put in about an hour on music practice - I need to start keeping a log book. I have to learn this stupid song by Tuesday. It makes no sense but it is a good exercise. I also need to get my eyes checked - I have to pull the music closer to read it...

Gotta get the ambition to clean up - make noise while the queen sleeps.

Hope all you new weekend warriors are doing okay. Remember to always post here BEFORE you pick up that drink!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I'm seeing a Dr for it next week. Don't judge.
If you're serious, I want you to know that I'm just playing around. No shame in my game.