# 81 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Did somebody say bacon?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

present
Old 01-09-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Well, my weekend starts early! Snow day today. Snow, winds, thunder and lightning... long weekend for me!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm reading this book that was recommended by some friends, The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up, and it seems like the life changing magic expands well beyond tidying up your home. You begin with discarding everything that is no longer functional, that is out of date, and that does not spark joy. The plan is to create a space that contains only things that spark joy. I see how this philosophy can apply to building a sober life. Uncluttered, simple, and full of joy.

So I'll be reading and tidying and finalizing plans for a kitchen remodel, set to begin the end of the month.

And frying up some bacon.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Busy busy busy. I like to be busy, but I am tapping the line at overwhelmed. I started a second job as an income tax preparer earlier this week, so despite having the day off, I will be working from 1- 7 today.

I am having some heartburn with the tax prep company I am working for. Actually it's just the office manager. I won't bore you with the details, but I will say that if someone had come into the office to get their taxes done in the past few days we would not have been able to serve them. We are THAT disorganized.

I am also going to have to learn how to politely set boundaries. There is a woman I am working with who just wants to gab all day, and it is preventing me from being able to do the online training I need to get done. Having worked in or for the military my entire life I am accustomed to being able to tell people to STFU and GTFO. I know that isn't the right way to handle this situation, but I don't have any experience with the right way.

I also signed up for a city-run volunteer organization to coach people with financial problems. The core of the program is to help them establish bank accounts. I don't normally encounter people without bank accounts, so that is all new to me. Because it is municipal government run there is a ton of paperwork to get done for that - so THAT will be my morning. (I actually have to go get finger printed to be a volunteer!)

The lead for the city organization has recommended that I join another organization as well, so I will be checking into that today.

Ahhhhhh....the good old days when I just built stuff and ate bacon on the weekends.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Satisfied "Thirsty Thursday" with some diet Iron Bru (UK soft drink... not sure how to describe the flavor). Busy weekend ahead but I'll check in to keep me on the straight and narrow. I tend to start thinking I'm invincible when I've got a few days sober under my belt. So I need to the reality check that SR gives!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Kero View Post
Well, my weekend starts early! Snow day today. Snow, winds, thunder and lightning... long weekend for me!
Snow days and big storms are something that gets my little heart racing for a drink. Stay strong Kero! Post often!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Awake

First time on this site. First weekend. Feeling positive.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Buggurl - congrats on 100 days!! That is too awesome!!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Awesome! Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your decision to pursue a sober life! Keep pumping those positive vibes!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
A big welcome to you for SR and the weekender!

Post often! Lots of experience here!

Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
Satisfied "Thirsty Thursday" with some diet Iron Bru (UK soft drink... not sure how to describe the flavor). Busy weekend ahead but I'll check in to keep me on the straight and narrow. I tend to start thinking I'm invincible when I've got a few days sober under my belt. So I need to the reality check that SR gives!
Great work!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Snow days and big storms are something that gets my little heart racing for a drink. Stay strong Kero! Post often!
Yeah me too. Weather always gives me anxiety. Fortunately the worst has already passed. It just hit in the wee hours of the morning and would have made the morning commute too dangerous. Way better to hit before I get to work rather than after There's nothing less fun than sleeping at work.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Nons, you'll have plenty of time to get back to rippin' pine this summer. Really cool to hear about how you're expanding your roles professionally and in the community. REALLY cool, seriously. That's some big time stuff there, nice work.

Bernie - I completely agree with your philosophy on "Tidying up". I went through that 6 months ago when I moved abroad. I had lived in Chicago for 12 years prior to the move, and I could only take 2 suitcases of stuff with me. I had to sell almost everything I owned, and I threw out the rest. It was liberating as heck. In fact, it was a really great experience! I realized that I was hanging on to so many old memories...many of which weren't positive. And I was also hanging on to JUNK. Things that seemed valuable for so long quickly became trash as my move-out date became closer. I felt much lighter after the experience.

Speaking of, I celebrated my 6 month anniversary of ex-pat life this week. Can't wax poetic too much about it because I'm busy at work this morning. Happy Friday folks!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Just checking in. Do have some work stuff still ahead for today and tomorrow...

Fun stuff: I am a guest DJ tonight on a friend's radio program. Excited and super nervous about it. This is definitely one of those things I would have reached for some courage in bottle form before and celebration of after. Checking in here instead. It will be fun, good banter, different music. Like hanging out with a friend and listening to some records.

That's what I got so far.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Weasel thanks for firing up this thread. Snow is everywhere here in the Midwest. I like the fact that it reflects light which makes everything seem bright.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I used to have a pair of loud plaid pants just like that girl on the right!

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
The Pic is Elton Photobombing a Senior Class-related Pic in Boulder CO. He was up at Caribou Ranch recording in the '70s.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Weekenders !!

Storms set to batter the Uk tonight
Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Irn Bru Will Do

The U.K., and Folks on here living there, continues to be special to me. Plenty of good Travels. Made good Friends. Being the 'Newcomers' Area, I'll keep to myself other Activities partaken there.

'Irn-Bru' is in a Class by itself. Legendary Drink for 'the morning after'. If you recognize her, that is.-)

Irn-Bru

Good luck to Folks hunkering down for the Storms hitting there.

-----
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

time to vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well MM, ticketmaster is horrible
I get the message if you leave this page or refresh you will lose your place in line...
After 1.5+ hours watching the thing go roundy-roundy I am kicked off the page.
Sold out in a few minutes. I got greedy and originally wanted more than 4 tickets. I got in asking for two but waited foEVER only to not get them tickets.!!!
Fortunately I did get three just to side of stage - had two windows open. The security procedure was bogus and I had to go through several iterations until I got in.
A few people are going to be disappointed. Wasted almost two hours of my morning.
Concert sold out in a few minutes. Amazing that I could get tickets from stubhub before they went on sale to GP. What a racket!