Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-22-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I'm jumping on the bus a little late here, but here I am.

Happy Birthday to Non, Ruby and Gilmer!

It's great to read through this thread, although I feel to far behind usually.

Ruby, you know I am sorry about your husband, but you are such a source of wisdom and inspiration. I'm glad he got back on the path after Monday night.

Speaking of Martha, we have been invited to a Friendsgiving next Saturday and we are making macaroni and cheese. My daughter and I love making this together. We have tried Ina Garten's recipe, but I found one from Martha that I think we are going to try this time. We might need to do a "test" run this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ice cream. I have not been eating much lately and it's causing a struggle so I'm going back in. LaVert - I love Americone Dream too and that's what I'm going to get today.

I hope everyone has a good day. I'm going to try to keep up. You guys are the best.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Thank you LTV. Makes me smile. I've been away from the not nice judge this month but go back in December. I've heard he's been better this month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Fandy, i read your trials with the repair people. What an utter pain in the neck and lower regions. It's great that they eventually paid for the repairs. I'm terrible at calling people and being insistent if something goes wrong.

I also figured that my kids, who definitely are kids, will play with the dispenser and I will have the Arctic Ocean on my kitchen floor.

Way to go Non. That's great and something to look forward to when you get back. I understand the job thing. I still don't know know what I want to be when I grow up.

Everyone is a little nutty things morning. I'm going to an estate sale after buying milk. I was going to put up my pots for the winter but it's raining. Sub freezing all week and now rain. Yay winter! My husband is working on kitchen electrical today so I'm helping with that.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday, sober folks!

No more Saturdays at the old job, so I have the day to do whatever I want. Chicken thighs will be going into the pot for a long simmer and I do believe I will make some cookies. I have been wanting to start a new painting, so I will get on that.
I hope everyone is doing fine this morning!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey MM. I have a Cannon AE1 with two lenses. I was just thinking of that the other day and that I need to dig it out. A wonderful camera.

Have a great time Nons! Be safe and take pictures for us!

Miss Fandy... If only I had that kind of tenacity. When it comes to things not working it really has to peeve me to go for them. Like I went and got a new fitbit charge. I like to see the numbers over the dots. The first one I brought home did not synch. I tried it over and over hoping for a different result but I finally went back and exchanged it. The new one is working perfect and I love the new design. I know they have two new ones but I like this one for options. I don't need all that other gobbly goo.

Early morning workout complete. Heading to go see Gone Girl at noon thirty. The theater has this big leather seats that recline almost flat. You can really relax and watch the movie. I think a big popcorn is in order. Should only be $30 bucks... For the popcorn!

Cloudy overcast cold.

I like that everyone has more to their posts this week. Lots to read and it takes a bit. Fun stuff. I learn so much from you all. It was Tuesday last week and I wanted to share something small but thought darn it... Wish the weekender thread was there. Now I forgot what I wanted to share.

K
Old 11-22-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

I like that everyone has more to their posts this week. Lots to read and it takes a bit. Fun stuff. I learn so much from you all. It was Tuesday last week and I wanted to share something small but thought darn it... Wish the weekender thread was there. Now I forgot what I wanted to share.

K
I feel exactly the same way, Weasel!
Love the weekender thread family!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

Early morning workout complete. Heading to go see Gone Girl at noon thirty. The theater has this big leather seats that recline almost flat. You can really relax and watch the movie. I think a big popcorn is in order. Should only be $30 bucks... For the popcorn!

Cloudy overcast cold.

K
Gone Girl was one of my favorite books. And popcorn used to be one of my favorite foods, before braces. And cloudy overcast? Supreme!
You are having a wonderfully good day!
Enjoy!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Good luck Nons - hope you have an amazing trip!

Ruby - I don't miss this time of year up north. Fall is gorgeous but I don't miss those cold, rainy/snowy transition days. Yuck! Stay warm and keep your spirits up!

Off to an incredibly late start here. Slept until 8:15am, which is close to a record for me! I am usually a very early riser but I guess my body just wanted sleep, and I was happy to oblige. Trying to get motivated for a shower, then a trip to el mercado and the grocery store. Later I'll watch some college sports and then do some "yard work" with my plants up on the patio.

Anyone know anything about watermelon plants? I saved a ton of watermelon seeds and put them into an empty pot and by golly, they're sprouting. Must have 4-5 of them coming up. I am looking for a "creeping vine" style plant that will grow around my terrace - not really interested in the fruit and don't imagine I could get much from these anyway. If I get a really really big pot full of dirt, will a watermelon plant provide some greenery?
Old 11-22-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, yeah, BigS. Watermelon is a vine. Not a climbing vine but a ground vine. They will head for the sun. They will fruit without any hesitance. A big low pot will do nicely. Grow some melons!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Thanks Trachs - figured as much, thanks for confirming! Been checking out a few websites as well and they pretty much say the same. Gracias!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

BigS, if you want to grow melons, stick with smaller round types.
If you want to grow vining greens, just take a walk around the neighborhood and see what's growing. Best to stick with something local - someone else already proved it will grow. And I'm sure if you see something you like or find interesting, compliment the plant to the owner and I'm sure they will give you a cutting or root to plant for yourself. Even grab something just growing nearby.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Something About You

The Title could apply to Sobriety. Sober Weekends, particularly. A special Person. Cookies. For me, Ice Cream. Fill in the customized blank.

About the Pic... We cashed in a Guano-load of Frequent Flier Miles, and sat up front in a 747 circa 2008 to take in Italy - finally - while not on High Tech Business. Lay-flat 747 Seats and all that. When in Rome... Joined Hairdresser Pals in Venice and Surrounds. Of the ~1,000 Pix I took, I've got a few Pix on File w/o Wine involved. A few. Food Pix and Stories here yesterday got me thinking of the serious Sweets in Venice.

I installed some bitchen Stainless Steel Ice Maker Lines on the Ranchette Fridge. They have this neato, integral Valve on the Water Feed end that automatically slams shut if there is a burst in the Line. Flood-proof. I also connected 2 of them together to feed a nice Spray Fixture plumbed in adjacent to the Cooktop. Only one chance to nail this installation because it's drilled through the Granite Countertop. It's the discrete, flush-mounted, pull-out Water Fill for Pasta Pots, and the Coffee Maker nearby. Very handy. I didn't want to look at some over-the-top Sink Fixture that looks to me as if it belongs in a Hospital Operating Room or sumptin'. I defaulted to a Whole House Water Filtering System that doesn't use Filters. It uses Activated Charcoal, and backwashes via Customized Programming. So, I get to skip the sometimes-pricey, in-Fridge Water Filters. Saves our Shower and Sink Fixtures, too, from the effects of Well Water. Lime Central. Wells have their advantages, though. Besides no Water Bill ever again, Floods are impossible. We turn off the Well Motor Control when we leave, and House Water pressure defaults to zero.

Bass Wizard Mark King of 'Level 42' shows his stuff in this live Vid in a Euro Venue. Level 42 opened when we saw Steve Winwood Decades ago. Snappy Songs.

'Something About You' ~ Level 42 ~ Live

-----

-----
Old 11-22-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Well, I'm actually accomplishing something this weekend. Mr. Charlee and I had a disagreement this morning and he went out to mow up the leaves in the front yard while son and I went out on the screened-in porch to clean up a big mess made by my new dog, Finn. But, now the front yard looks great and Mr. Charlee is on the way to the dump with a full load of stuff son and I cleaned up in the back and peace has been restored. Sometimes it's funny what can be motivating. I'm now going to start cleaning inside. It's not very exciting but it will feel good to have a somewhat clean house.

Weasel, let us know what you think of the movie. I liked the book too but I've heard the movie has a different ending.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Charlee, Olive, And to all it may concern.

Hmmm... where does one begin. The movie was the most ridiculous thing I have seen a very long time. It was so boring and I was about to leave and then it turned. I thought wow. This is good. Then it stayed pretty intense for a while as things fell into place. Then the last quarter of the movie was just plain ridiculous. I had to laugh leaving that I wasted that much time in hopes of something redeeming.

Never heard of the book so I cannot compare but sorry... This movie was poo poo.

I know... how do I really feel? hmmm...

Sorry if anyone liked it. Please tell me what I did not see?
Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Weasel, that made me laugh. I didn't see the movie and didn't read the book but I know the feeling of sitting in a movie that everyone says is great and thinking "really?, that's it?"

All the cooking. Mmm. If the ground beef I bought earlier this week is still good, it's tacos for dinner. If not, well, then maybe I will get more ground beef. I told Mr. Ruby it was in there but he didn't cook it.

Charlee, thanks. Mr. Ruby and I got into a rip roaring quarrel earlier this afternoon but things seem to have simmered down. It's amazing what a good bit of work does for the soul. I purged a bunch of clothes. And there's more where that came from. Mr. Ruby is taking a nap and didn't use it as an excuse to run out the door. Baby steps.

We are all just sitting around on the couch with Spongebob on. I'm taking a break. The estate sale was mostly a bust but is bought an apple corer/slicer for fifty cents. I'd been meaning to buy one and there it was. Kids like their apples sliced up.

I bought the food network Christmas edition magazine. The images of cookies in the cover were just too tempting. And rummaging around putting kitchen stuff back into the kitchen I rediscovered my cookie press. Maybe I will use again it this year.

Maybe we could put a "small stuff" thread on the cafe forum for during the week. Most of the stuff I have to say isn't all that important and is only tangential to sobriety but sometimes you just want to say something. And not on newcomers as an entire thread. It's a thought. The equivalent of meeting the regulars at the coffee shop in the morning.

Time to check ground beef. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Sorry the movie was bad, Weasel. I really enjoyed the book.
Perhaps I do not need to see the movie....it is a crap shoot turning a good book into a good movie.

Just finished baking some chocolate chip cookies and some oatmeal cookies.
The beauty of the weekend before thanksgiving is that there are a lot of interesting cooking shows on for background entertainment.

Ruby I will happily join you on a daily basis on a 'Small Stuff' thread!!!

Time for more laundry and I really should take the dog for a walk.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Wow...just woke up from a 2 hour nap. Lazy Saturday. Haven't napped so long since my hangover days. It's blissful to not have anything I'm supposed to be doing. Guess I'll make a costco run...that's always fun for me as long as the lines aren't too long. Or I may go back to sleep. ....catch you later.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

happy, I made a costco run a couple days ago. I was going to get myself the original batman series for christmas - save the wife some time. When I picked it up and saw that it was $175 !!! I put it down and slowly backed away. They didn't put the price in the ad.
At least I restocked cheerios and raisin bran .

Went to store for fruit and staples. Thought about going hunting about an hour ago. Put small pork roast on stove. Thought about going hunting half hour ago. Thought about not going hunting 25 minutes ago. Looks like a standard roast with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and such. Find something to watch on netflix or watch some old movie. Wife needs to write a paper, so I'm on my own again - usual.
Can't go to a drive in. Do they still have them?

Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Ruby, this weekend thread is MADE for "small stuff"! Sometimes I think that's beneficial to newbies: seeing recovering alcoholics doing normal things like buying apple corers, seeing movies, cleaning porches and packing for trips. I remember in the early goings for me, I wasn't convinced I'd ever be doing normal stuff again!

That said, I think each of us always mentions something regarding sobriety on the weekends. Usually our coping mechanisms are tested in one way or another. We're a tough bunch but we have our vulnerable moments and it's good to have somewhere to vent and share when that happens!

Speaking of small stuff, it's been a lazy Saturday here. I did hit the busy mercado, but aside from that nothing much happening. Spent the afternoon on the terrace and took a nap listening to a great podcast: Discovering Early Civilizations, by a professor at U of California. It's about the early years of archeology and all the great adventurers who discovered King Tut, the Mayan Pyramids, and Chinese scrolls. So cool. I'll be following in their footsteps next week and heading to the great Mayan ruins in Tikal, can't wait.

Heading to town shortly to pick up a brownie for tonight's desert. Not much else to do, and figure the walk will burn the calories I'll eventually put back on later by eating said brownie. Totally needed a day like today. Rested, rejuvenated, and ready to pack tomorrow!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

watch out for mosquitoes and other bugs that bite. I'd be more worried about bugs than big cats... just carry a big cat toy just in case.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Weekend # 11 here.

Here's a question: I've found myself with elevated stress levels of late, even though outside factors have not changed. In the first couple of months of sobriety I was euphoric and very at peace.

Recently, I've become more irritable, paranoid and generally 'stressy'.

I'm assuming this might be due to my 'new' life without my normal coping mechanism for stress - the drink - is no longer there. The initial euphoria of quitting has passed now I'm having to learn new ways to cope - and until then it's an uphill struggle.

I won't go back to the drink though, that's counter-productive. I've just got to work through this and it'll be worth it in the long term.

Anyway, my weekend...gym and tidying!

Have a good one SR'ers.