Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-21-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome HellJuice!!! Love the screen name!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Saturday will be another kid free night. My daughter will be staying with my sister & little niece. I will be posting tomorrow night for a little support, I know I am going to need it. My husband is going out with his friends on Saturday night & I will be home alone for real.

But so far so good, I am staying the course!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning! Work work work. And then a whole eight days off. I'm excited!

Lawn mower incident? That sounds bad. I remember the times I mowed while intoxicated. No. Don't miss that.

I'm an addict. How do I know? Cravings. Urges. Looking forward to buying and planning to buy it. Going into the grocery store with only one thing on my mind and imagining how it will taste. Once I taste it I want even more. Alcohol? No. Ice cream. I guess that's one thing I need to work on too. Wednesday I had a bad day. I was tired and feeling really down. I had it in my head that I wanted Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey ice cream and all I could think of was getting some. I vaguely glanced at the alcohol at the store but it was more that I saw it in passing, not that I looked for it. Ice cream was my goal. The reason I'm posting this is that at some point in sobriety I switched from thinking and obsessing about drinking to escape. It was a milestone and shows that if you work on staying sober long enough, relief will start coming. I will have one year on December one. Nothing near as Mecanix 1175 days but I'm a work in progress.

Celebrating sober. Well, we have a big celebration coming up next Thursday here in the states. Thanksgiving. My family are not drinkers. We go as a small group to my grandfather's and he quit drinking over twenty years ago so there will be no alcohol. We eat, kid around, play, visit, go home. I'm not a college student coming home for the weekend so I'm not meeting high school friends at bars to catch up. I'm not coming in from out of town to see family and friends and going out to bars to catch up. For anyone who is doing those things, how are you celebrating?

I am going to get ready. And I was going to put in a request that the weekend thread start on Wednesday this week because of the thanksgiving holiday on Thursday. A lot of people struggle. Hey, my slicing incident happened on thanksgiving now I think on it.

Have a great day! Thank you petals for the wishes!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Good Friday morning!

Took the day off work. Lots to do around the homestead.

Missing a few key people on the thread this weekend but hopefully they will stop in.

K
Weasy my sweets! Fandy KNOWS statement poops from elderly cats....My Slim is 20 years and 6 months. When fatassFandy bullies him, he retaliates as only the elderly can....leaves a big poop on the kitchen floor. Since I started using Feliway diffuser, there is less conflict with my 5 guys. before there was rioting at 3AM and jumping on my head.

I have had 2 weeks of craptastic interactions with my ungrateful rude entitled 33 year old daughter....she knows the door is always open, but she cannot wipe her feet on me to enter. I do not do enabling any more. Grow the flock up. Own your behavior instead of pointing your finger at everyone else and gnashing your teeth.

In other news, my replacement Fitbit arrived last night and I just set it up, so I am back in business! my previous One model stopped syncing and tracking, it just pooped out and went crazy The Fitty customer support team was great, they have replaced it twice this year with a new one. I am looking forward to the new model in January that tracks HR on the wrist. (btw, many of my med students wear them too, they like to see if they get exercise running around the hospital and campus).

Coldass weather here all week, getting ready to cook Thanksgiving dinner next week.

How is the new kitchen Ruby?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

lot's to comment on... but since the mood sort of shifted to the macabre for a bit...

this may not sound like much, but believe me...
I harvested a deer with an arrow, field dressed it, skinned and quartered it in the field, completely (not efficiently) cut it up and packaged it for future use - love the grinder the wife got me for xmas a couple years ago btw. I was cutting and filleting down to the bone. I used different styles of knives and was like 'edward scissors hands'. Here's what this is all about: I did not cut myself one time. Not even a nick! In the past I would have been half in the bag wielding knives haphazardly - or after a few hours loaded and trying to cut. I never could have done this had I been drinking. In all my years this is the first time I was able to do everything by myself and sober. It may be hard to imagine what all was involved if you never went bow hunting or completely butchered an animal. But this was a big thing for me. Last year I cut my finger cleaning fish because I was drinking. The noted improvement in ability while not drinking is quite apparent. I was like a surgeon.
Just thought I would share that.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Congratulations, LBrain! I know that's really, really hard. That amazes me!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ballet Boy, here, took a Sober dive off my Truck Bed Tailgate yesterday. Flat onto Concrete. Flat landing spread the impact. I'm fine, amazingly. Music and Stories later after a quick run to Home Despot.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Brain, that is awesome. I like the Edward Scissorhands visual. Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt are 50 this year.

Fandy, the kitchen is primarily done. Having a bit of trouble getting the dishwasher to drain. The major stuff is mostly done. It's the annoying small details that need doing.

I am not looking forward to elderly cats now. Mine is 13 next month. Probably born around Christmas. Not pooping in random spots yet.

In court some guy has the real name of Jackess. Mom must not have liked him much.

Check in later. Lucky Weasel. Day off.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

"Jackess"---
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Friday! I am sooooo glad it is almost the weekend; just a few more hours here at work and only one more class to teach. Paperdolls posted a great video called Nuggets on the Newcomer thread folks should check out. It is a video animation of what addiction is like...very true-like. I'm going to show it to my students when I'm teaching about addiction. I'm thinking dinner out tonight and an early bedtime. Not sure how the heck I had the energy to paint the town red like I used to when I was drinking.....heaven for me now on a Friday night is dinner out so I don't have to cook, a bowl of ice cream when I get home, warm jammies to put on, snuggles on the couch with my pup, surfing around on my computer for awhile, and then reading a bit before konking out to sleep early. The only think I check to make sure I have "enough of" is coffee for the morning when I go to bed...the times have changed for sure
Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Update. Mom apparently wasn't paying attention in phonics. The ess in Jackess in pronounced "eese" like in reese.

SC, I was just thinking last night about the late night partying and how now all I want is pajamas and peace and quiet.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

8.45pm here and sipping my orange juice n lemonade - day 2 nearly done - so hoping for a less sweaty night tonight - good luck peeps xx
Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Twinkle Toes Checks In

Better this Post Title than 'Twinkle Toes Checks Out'.

I was Waxing my Truck Roof, and hopped out of the Bed onto an inverted Paint Bucket I was using as a Step. It flipped sideways, since our Driveway is slanted. Down I went. Hard. Fortunately, I hit pretty flat, and without Skull_ular contact. So, here I am intact. I just got back from getting a sturdy Kitchen Step Ladder, and one last 60 lb. Sand 'Tube' to enhance Truck Traction when placed in the Truck Bed. Life is good...

We're getting the House Windows washed now by this A-R Pro, and it's kinda neat when you can see out the House.

Da Retired Wife went to a Teacher Lunch yesterday, and now feels like Poop. She thinks she caught something off a Doorknob at the High School; being around hundreds of lil Petri Dish Bastids yesterday. I just swilled a generic 'Airborne', in the false hopes it might spare me this crapola. She's presently making a 'Call On The Big White Phone', and is in a Health Tailspin. Guess I'll wait for the other Shoe to drop when I catch this lovely 'Whatever'.

Now here's a twisted Poll Question: When is the last time you hurled? A: Last January. Just before I walked away from Drinking nonstop.

2 Dinners out thus far this week with all Drinkers, and they went just fine. We attend this massive pre-Thanksgiving 'Bender' tomorrow night, but I've done it Sober before. Since there's historically a few dozen Folks there, I can pick out Sober Palz from Attendees, and enjoy the Company. Attending tomorrow could be a non-event, given the sounds currently emanating from our Bathroom upstairs.

We had to watch 'My Cousin Vinny' yet again a few weeks ago. I thought the Crew, here, would appreciate this one...

I looked up Bios on some of the Supporting Actors. The Slackjaw on the Witness Stand, who couldn't see the Gas Station Hold-up clearly because of Vegetation and House Window Dirt, was an Actor named 'Raynor Johnson'. But, he'd changed his name. I'm thinkin': 'oh, how nice; he's acknowledging his Germanic Roots with his new, chosen Surname: 'Scheine'. Then, it hit me. Say his full name out loud. *Guffaw*

In honor of Birthday Boy Non's pending Trip, here's a Pic of the Colorado River just North of the Grand Canyon. 'Lee's Ferry'. Folks Rafted across the River here before any Bridges. Now a nice, Primitive/Trailer Camping area. Superb Fishing, apparently. Speaking of which, quite the Story LBrain. Intact Phalanges rock!

Great Weather pending at the Grand Canyon. 'Deep' and 'Road Trip' kinda made this Song pop into my Head...

Grand Canyon ~ Weather Underground

'Highway Star' ~ Deep Purple

-----

-----
Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hang in there Just Sarah. Hope you have a peaceful sleep tonight!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

LBrain, the raptors thank you for using an arrow I watched an eagle this morning, hunting along the river here.

Hey, so do you have one of those fancy crossbows? Or are you such a great ninja hunter that you used a regular bow?

Regardless, well done. Is the wife out collecting roots and berries?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks Ruby good luck to you too xx
Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

wow, I got kinda side tracked looking at stupid youtube videos and the afternoon passed by quickly - good thing my only job right now is cleaning the house and cooking

Since my shoulder injury I cannot draw and hold a regular bow. So I have a cross bow - a few years old and low tech. I'd much rather use a traditional (compound) bow. It's a lot easier - except for shoulder pain - and less dangerous. I'm hoping to get healthy again soon.

MesaMan - I recall we couldn't get to Lee's Ferry from Paine. Only made it to the horseshoe. I wonder if the road is still out.
It's on my list of things to do - raft from Lee's Ferry and put out at Phantom Ranch and hike up Angle Bright... I met a lass last time I was near the bottom and I may be able to work out a deal as a helper on the trip - people from Flagstaff...

well it looks like y'all have good plans for Friday - as long as it's sober it is a good plan.
I watched Damnation the other night on netflix. Everyone should see this 'movie'.
It reminded me of the Colorado and the two big dams (and others) that are helping to destroy it. Next time you are in Vegas and see those magnificent fountains, think of this.

The Colorado River dries up in Mexico. I was looking for a music video to entertain the troops but opted for my public service message instead. Hope you don't mind.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I'm here for my third sober weekend in a row - although I'm afraid I struggle to understand only a fraction of what you're all on about!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

stay close Hendrix, if you need a hand just shout it out, when things are quiet some of us go off on tangents...
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I have to catch up on the thread. So much to comment on.

I am trying to practice a few things I wanted to try for Thanksgiving. I made prosciutto cup by lining a muffin cup and let them cool. Mixed two fillings. One a Bartlett pear with a bit of lemon juice for one and ricotta cheese with fresh parsley for another. Lets just say I wont be bringing them but damn... I did eat them all. Bye Bye diet!!!

Next up is puff pastry Parmesan cheese sticks. The puff pastry is defrosting now. Oh boy.

Glad you are ok MM.