Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Got home from work today and got a big fat case of nerves about this Grand Canyon hike. I trained, but I wish I had trained more/with greater intensity. I don't want to struggle to get up the trail, I want to enjoy it.

I am packing early. I never pack early.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

You will love it so much when you get there, Nons! You'll probably have lots of adrenaline!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Nons, I didn't know you'd taken up trail racing.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's not a race, just a walk uphill. But it's a big damn hill!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

OK... so the Parm cheese sticks are done. I warmed up a nice marinara and they are good. Well I mean I eat them all.... ALL.

Even with the "setting"... they were still just ok. :|

Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Those look fantastic, Weasel! I settled for pizza delivery and am now glued to the couch with a steady rain outside. These sober Friday nights at home are becoming one of my favorite treats. Be well, SR friends.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I am on my way home on the train. Yay! No work next week. I am meeting Mr. Ruby for an AA meeting while parents watch kids. I like this meeting because it is a beginners meeting to discuss topics in early recovery. My week was stressful for several reasons including Mr. Ruby's slip on Monday. I was scared that he would keep on as he has been on vacation this week. However, so far he has recommited to his program. I entertained an extremely feeble AV saying "go ahead, you can do it too now" but sanity won out and thank you to my friends who listened. There was a lot of venting and consumption of ice cream.

So glad I didn't hear AV shouting. Just a pathetic whimper, easily squished. And Hendrix, that id what this thread is about. Connecting to people who you can reach out to when u need to.

Almost my stop. Talk to you all later. MM, glad you aren"t hurt. Weas, I hate when I make stuff and it's only "myeh". Tho the sticks look good.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It's not a race, just a walk uphill. But it's a big damn hill!
Take your time, breath. Don't look up. or down. only sideways. Someone has to be the sweeper.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Ruby. I didn't know Mr. Ruby had slipped. Glad he bounced right back to sobriety.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Tough one ruby...make sure you have plenty of ice cream in the freezer. Speaking of which, the only problem with me and ice cream is that I don't have just a little bit of it either. Just like wine, one bowl isn't enough! But it sure beats alcohol on a Friday night and is such a treat. Actually, tonight I had talenti gelato...southern butter pecan. 2 bowls. Yum! I'm happy.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks Gilmer. I'm still watching. It's like most of us. Once the pain and shame pass that amnesia sets in and some of start thinking "Hey! That actually wasn't so bad. I think I'll do it again!" Mr. Ruby sometimes has a very skewed sense of time. So, I'm still being cautious, but not crazy.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

HandF, I'm a two cone woman myself
Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

At meeting early. Mr. Ruby misunderstood my text and is ensconced on sofa at home with son. So, by myself at meeting, with you all in my pocket.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, need something to do? How about reading the entire Harvard Classics collection. All 51 volumes are available as free e-books.

The Harvard Classics: Download All 51 Volumes as Free eBooks | Open Culture
Old 11-21-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey Trach. Good to see you! Did you have those interviews yet?
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Nons - you'll be alright. Take your time, pace yourself, and as long as you have ample food and water you'll be just fine. It sure is a big damn hill, it's no joke. But, once you are there, you'll have just 2 options: hike, or don't hike. And you'll hike. Sometimes simplifying things down to the basics is all you need.

I am also a wee bit anxious for my trip up to the Mayan sites next week. I'm staying in this island town up in the jungle. Pretty cool, there are wild jaguars and crocs up there. Lots of hiking, crazy humidity, and I'll be hours away from anyplace to rest once I get out into the archeological sites. Sometimes I wonder if I bit off more than I can chew also!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Interviews? I got two jobs this week! One full-time and on part-time. I'm now an awning maker and event staff for the luxury suites at the Georgia Dome for Falcons Games. And, ahem...an invitation from a major corporation to start their interview process just today. Nice week.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Congratulations trach!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

bigS, it's simple. Need to rest, sit down. Mind the bugs.

I'm not being a smartass, I do do the backpacking thing. Walking in the woods is the most natural thing you can do. You've got the details absolutely right. Take your time. Plenty of supplies. Just walk. What I said about being the sweeper is true. It's a responsibility to bring up the rear.

A couple of years ago, I "organized" a trip in the North Georgia mountains. One of the attendees was a tall, athletic guy known for bolting on groups hikes. So, I picked the route. He got to our second night camp an hour before me. When I arrived he was lying on the ground cursing my name. A 400' climb in a tenth of a mile will do that to the hurried. That's one bitch of a boulder field.

Don't take my kidding wrong. I am a turtle. I get there. Smiling.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Ruby, tell me that your dishwasher is NOT LG...I went through 6 service calls and screaming a customer service for them to pay for it ti get my dishwasher fixed. The ERROR message and the drainage...they replaced thepump, the front computer board, the washer arm...everything I was without a dishwasher for 5.5 weeks.