Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-20-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'd just like to congratulate ruby for having the last post on last weekender thread..
And all of the birthdays this weekend, I forgot whose birthday it is, OH it's YOU!
Happy SOBER Birthday to all.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Love it!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Happy sober weekend from the Central American highlands. Lots of fun activities to talk about. Yesterday I showed a neighbor where he could get some materials for his new herb garden. I came home today to find a "gift bag" of fresh herbs: rosemary, basil, chives, onions. Tonight I am enjoying a fresh salad with those ingredients, it's chilling in the fridge as we speak. This evening I enjoyed a peaceful view of the valley from my rooftop before heading downstairs to warm myself by the roaring fire as the mountain temps dip in the evening.

Next week I'm off in a little twin-engine prop plane for the northern jungle. I leave Wednesday at the crack of dawn. I'll be spending 4 days up in the Mayan ruins while lodging at a small hotel on an island (in a lake!). Just got my xMas plans set too: Christmas on the shores of the South Caribbean down in Costa Rica.

Thank you, sobriety! Getting sober allowed me to really go out and grab life by the tail. It's never too late, folks. This thread has been an anchor for me to reach out to others in this fight, and I am happy to see it every week.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

wow BigS, I see chives, rosemary and basil - I guess it's all sitting on one big giant purple onion? How do you get those photos to appear like that? Is it a program you have or some uber secret SR magic?
Sounds like you are taking over life, glad for you.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
How do you get those photos to appear like that? Is it a program you have or some uber secret SR magic?.
I have Picasa downloaded on my laptop, there are some "collage" features that are pretty easy to use.

Thanks LB, pretty pumped about this upcoming trip. Big weekend of packing and preparing, but going to try and keep my excitement-o-meter on an even keel. One day at a time, etc. Got a full day of work tomorrow, first things first eh?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

What can I say? I like having the last word. Or I could just be that guest who you just want to stop talking and leave because they don't want the party to end.

Sorry your day was literally craptastic Weasel. Those are the days I start laughing or I would cry. It is life. Warts and all.

BigS, we await the serialized tales of your adventures...illustrated, of course. They sound fantastic.

Wishing everyone in bed here for night. Wishing isn't working so well. Neither is typing on phone while still awake son plays on ipad.

Later.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Happy Birthdays to all celebrating this weekend!

I've been celebrating sobriety with a little shopping, pampering myself a little with all this extra cash. And chocolate, of course. (Day 41 and many more to come!)

Thanks for saving a seat on the bus for me!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Conquest! Don't celebrate with [I]too[I much chocolate. I went up two skirt sizes since quitting last December. Ah, what am I saying? I'm going to have ice cream after I type this.

My new Martha magazine arrived yesterday. I've been so busy I haven't opened it yet. But I'm off next week. I will still have to get up early to get kids ready and to school but that is ok. We shall see what crafty things Martha has up her sleeves to both delight and frustrate us mere mortals.

Time to get son in bed. Band tomorrow at 7 a.m.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to all my 40 th in May was a long awaited trip to Mexico with my fiancé ...all was great until 2 days before we leave had a family celebration dinner and I drank a tonne of wine. After everyone had left, and my fiancé and son were in bed ( being a Sunday night and all...) I decided to have another glass outside. When I went to go inside, I was carrying a plate, didn't see my black of lying on the ground in the pitch black night , tripped over her , dropped the plate and i went crashing down on both. I knew I hurt myself, so in my drunk state thought best to stay put for a bit...the noise woke up my fiancé, he came downstairs , and saw me splayed out , gushing blood. Turned out I sliced my finger pretty bad...needed 9 stitches. So much for frolicking in the ocean on my bday trip...couldn't get my hand wet. Didn't stop me from drinking though. The trip was amazing, but also very blurry. Guaranteed my 50th in a decade will be different
Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Ellay! Good to see you. Ouch on the hand. That's always been a fear or mine. The things we do. I hope your hand is okay. I have nerve damage at the side of the tip of my index finger from when I sliced it a bit during a drunken Julia Child moment. Your forty is certainly memorable but fifty will be better!

Just about time for bed. I won't be the last to post on here tonight
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Weas ,
glad to see you made it through . Way to go showing everyone how to do it

Friday morning here , going to a colleagues leaving do this afternoon , in a pub .. It will be boring spending time in the company of drunks . so i will go after they have 4 or 5 pints and they become self involved and repetitive .

Day 1175 will be sober see you all this evening , m
Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm in... It'll be day 4 for me on Friday. Hopefully having coffee with a friend who's also in recovery, then I want to cook something. I'll see where the mood takes me!

Weasel... I loved your post about your day! What is it about basic assumptions that always seem to bite you in the ass...?

Keep well everyone!

iwf
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I've got my seat! Wow. There are so many great celebrations. Congrats all!

We've got this, Newbies. This is definitely the place to be for the weekend. Sober magic.

This week I went to a few work/social functions with lots of free booze. No problems. Keep trucking.

Finger slices hurt like crAzy! Ugh.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I need a window seat please. Gonna be a busy and tough weekend here
Xx
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to nons and ruby2 xxx
Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

And happy birthday to gilmer...and anyone else. Xxxx
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good Friday morning!

Took the day off work. Lots to do around the homestead.

Missing a few key people on the thread this weekend but hopefully they will stop in.

K
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

For yesterday's series of debacles, Weasel:

Congratulations, Mecanix, on 1175 days! That's really something!

Thanks loads for the Grumpy Cat song, LBrain!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good morning all from a somewhat warm Dixieland.
Ruby2 and Ellay, I had to have surgery last August for a hand injury obtained during a drunken lawn mowing episode...glad that kind of rubbish is over.
Happy weekend!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Checking in.
Stay strong everyone, the weekend is a great time to ENJOY your free time with things you like to do.
Doing it drunk isn't enjoyable.