Notices

Fill-in-the-blank Weekender Thread Sept 26-28!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning all,

Tetra – you sound like you are in a great place. I hope you find the right job soon.

Mecanix – I agree our pets prefer us sober. Your books sound interesting.

MM – thanks for sharing pictures of your sweet dog. She’s beautiful.

Julie – love your dogs in your profile picture too. Great to see you here.

SNLI –Welcome!

Ruby – I hope the kids quieted down. Love the kitchen pics. Can’t wait to see the final result.

SoberClover – cider donuts sound wonderful. I’m going to have to find some.

Warm hello to everyone here!

I’m in a much better place today. I’m going to be okay and I’m no longer feeling shaky about my sobriety. I just had some left over baked ziti for breakfast and need to pay some bills this morning. I’m going to buy a new washing machine today – I believe I’m getting an LG. I had bought a second hand machine from a neighbor a few months ago, but it died and we decided to just buy a new one this time.

Brain, I took your advice and signed up for my 25th High School Reunion so I’m heading back up to the land of the Amish next weekend. I need a new outfit so maybe I’ll hit the mall today too. I’m going to stay pretty busy just to keep these positive feelings flowing.

Take care!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I bought the LG washer/dryer set last year, (front loader) I bought the steam models. they work very well and are quiet (my washer and dryer reside in my kitchen in a closet area).

you use MUCH less detergent and they sense the size of the load, lots of presets. be sure to drain the machine through the little door once a month, water builds up and makes it stinky.

I am sorry about your dog and glad you are staying the course....hugs...maybe adopt to honor his memory? I adopted Sammy my little Pom from a rescue group.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Talking

I am in! Day one again for me here and it's Saturday! Staying in, washing cars and then cooking a lovely macaroni cheese!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sober Peeps.

Its a beautiful day here in Virginia, hope it's nice where you are, too.

I knocked out half my tax homework (due Monday) already. Nice to be ahead on that. I am taking a class on tax preparation with a well-known tax preparation service. I thought it was going to be a cookie, but it is turning out to be much more work than I thought. 9 hours of class per week and 6-9 hours of homework. We started 3 weeks ago with 22 students and we are down to 11.

Time to hack at a tree. We had a storm last week and I have a dangling branch that needs to come down. Then I have to stow my camping gear that's been strewn about my wood shop since last Sunday. Although, we may be going camping again as soon as next weekend!

Dinner with friends this evening. Not sure where. I may be grilling.

Have a great day, Y'all!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Everyone seems to be up and active.

Welcome back buggirl! Good to have you aboard. Get back at it! Share how you are doing.

I went to the farmers market. Could not resist the gold and red beets, fresh arugula, corn and green beans. Make a nice roasted beet and goat cheese salad. Roast the corn for some salsa. Pickle the green beans I think. Oh yeah a giant stalk of Brussels sprouts! Love those little suckers.

While I was there I looked over and snapped this pic. The sun caught my eye just right.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

My husband's grandmother grew her own brussels sprouts. My family never ate them, so I was unfamiliar with them. Imagine my shock when I saw big stalks with hundreds of sprouts all over them! I thought they grew like little individual cabbages out of the ground!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hello weekenders! I quit drinking in Feb of 2007 so I think this is around my 400th sober weekend. Since not drinking has been the default for me for so long now, I just call them weekends now. No matter how sh*tty life gets sometimes, I can always take comfort in the fact that I'm no longer in the hellish cycle of addiction. For those who still are, my advice is to stay close to these weekend riders. I have watched the transformation of many of these bus riders over the last couple of years and it's such a wonderful thing to witness. You can feel it, even across cyberspace. If you are feeling like you can't do it, draw strength from those who have done it.

This is hands down the coolest weekend party bus EVAH.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Gilmer, you made me laugh. I was shocked when I first saw Brussels sprouts too. Tiny cabbages.

Julie, welcome aboard. I think quiet plans in the beginning were the easiest for me.

I'm envying the farmers market/cooking descriptions. Enforced no cooking. And why shop if I can't cook it? I borrowed an electric frypan from my mother that has a lid. Maybe I can try my hand at some salutes but with no work surface it is tough.

I think I will work on de cluttering. Getting rid of some clothes I don't need or wear. No plans other than to make a run to buy a box of the tile I will use in the kitchen. It's vinyl. Personal opinion, I like vinyl. I could do ceramic or hard wood but I like the feel of vinyl under my feet and if I drop something it isn't going to explode and shatter into a million pieces on my floor. I saw that happen at my aunts once, a long time ago. Apparently it made a big impression.

I have to go. Time to get ready for the day.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

The soundtrack is obviously missing this weekend.

Turtle? MM? LB?
Old 09-27-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

It's an absolutely gorgeous day here in Loudoun County, VA! I'm definitely going to do my studying outside today.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good morning, Weekenders.

Lazy morning around here. I kinda like it. We are heading into the city later this morning for some fun. There is a huge market there with all kinds of foods, artist, crafts, and entertainment. It is a wonderful place to get gifts, people watch, and try amazing foods. We haven't been in a long time so thought it would be a fun place to get lost today.

I'm loving the photos and the posts. Thanks for spending the weekend with me.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

It's a double ship day in portland! The Norwegian Dawn and Brilliance of the Sea are docked. The usual bustle of the waterfront in full swing. A little boat people watching seemed in order. Love the shirts with anchors and Bermuda shorts!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

interesting non, my tax man told me to take the course this year - for a part time job - but it ain't free no more, and I knew I would be gone for a couple weeks in October and couldn't finish it, I didn't see any starting later tho...

okay weasel, I didn't want to overcrowd the thread with videos - I looked for a song about an indian maiden 'fallen leaf' but couldn't find it. but I did see this one, I actually have this album as it is pictured in the video. I also have STP and cold play too so don't laugh.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I love these weekender threads.

Sitting here enjoying a coffee, going to meet a friend for more coffee (haha) in a few. When he found out my meeting has a potluck tonight and I that I didn't have the finances to buy ingredients for a dish, he insisted that he help. The generosity of some people, I tell you. Humbling.

So after coffee I'm headed to the store. Need simple recipe ideas! Was thinking basic cookies, although I don't own a baking sheet, so that may be out of the question. Lol. I could get a couple of those cheap aluminum disposable ones? That or a could just bring grapes and strawberries and pineapple, arranged on a tray... hmmmm.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hmm i'll pick up the baton for music then ,
kick everyone in the pants and get you going with with some good old british metal from Birmingham . The lyrics always get me in a good mood .

Judas Priest-Heading out to the Highway - YouTube
Old 09-27-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

okay, my theme song... I wanted to post a warren zevon song called 'My ****'s ****** up' but I couldn't remove the title. Look for it and listen to it.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

okay, I have to top my turnips and beets, mulch them for in ground storage for a while, get last peppers into the freezer, transplant some mums I picked up for some stupid reason, repair cracked cement, clean spa filters, wash and hang hunting garments, start prepping soup, yadda-yadda-yadda...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

okay one last one for Charleesavedme - get psyched for the trip back home girl.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
okay one last one for Charleesavedme - get psyched for the trip back home girl.

Brain, you post all my favorite stuff.

Jim Croce, The Blues Brothers, Weird Al ... lurve it.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Afternoon folks. Dark clouds with hard rain here in GUA, 'tis the middle of the rainy season so it's to be expected. It's a good metaphor for sobriety - without a little rain, we wouldn't have so much beautiful green tropical views and foliage! Stick through it, ya'll newcomers, once the sun comes out it's worth it!

Arrived at 23.00 last night after a really long day of travel. Slept like the dead. Catching up on some college football scores now, went to the mercado earlier too. Think I'll eat lunch and have a nice long nap as the rain pounds down outside on the banana and palm trees. Ahhh.

A bit of a frustrating situation: I came back to my place here after 2 weeks in the States and my "good laptop" (which I left here so that I didn't damage it) is refusing to turn back on. Tried all the old tech tricks, all of them. Looks like the motherboard is busted, or maybe the power supply unit. Regardless, it appears a new laptop is in order. Damn, damn, damn, why didn't I get one while I was in the States! Well, I know why - because I was too busy taking care of other things.

The good news is that I always have a backup plan. I have a 2nd laptop that will function just fine as I look for a new model and either have it shipped from Guatemala City or the States. I should be able to work just fine in the meantime with my backup option. Always have a backup plan in case of emergency, folks - and that goes for your sobriety plan too!