Notices

Fill-in-the-blank Weekender Thread Sept 26-28!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I remember when I lost my yellow lab. Jake was the Best dog in the whole world.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
My husband put bacon in with a pot roast, and it actually ruined the flavor!
Some people are seemingly incapable of rigorous honesty. There are such unfortunates.
[/sarcasm]

Thanks for the kind words all. My sister is fine, but she is rethinking her attack on the Grand Canyon in November.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Well, no planes are flying out of chicago until later. A fire in a radar tower put out the air traffic control system and they also found a guy, not an employee, with self inflicted wounds in the basement. Weird story but hopefully BigS got out before it happened.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I'm here to join the sober weekend friend. Thanks for the invite!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Grand Canyon Region

Welp, allz I gotz is from Lake Powell; just a bit North of Ye Olde Grand Canyon.

Boondocked it with the Pooch in my SUV while Da Wife was a Cruise Ship with a Neighbor Gal Pal via a last minute Invite. Ya can't help but imagine 'Wile E. Coyote' chasing the Roadrunner 'round these parts.

All were had by a good time.

Music Video Link

'Great Southern Land' ~ Icehouse

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lake Powell Sunset 1_750.jpg (34.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Lovely photo MM.

I'm trying to keep occupied while work is going on in the kitchen. Only one person can do the work going on now so I feel very idle. Sister in law invited me for a walk later but I'm not sure I can go. I'd like to. It's gorgeous. Some sacrifices are necessary if the kitchen is going to get done. Sigh.

Welcome aboard Kristen!

I'm curious what about the bacon ruined the pot roast?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

The gravy just had a really funny flavor--not pleasant like either beef or bacon. This is what happens when I leave my post for an hour!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey fellow bus riders. I've got my lunch packed with extra snacks for EVERYONE!!!

THIS will be me this weekend. Not sure exactly where I'm going yet . . . mountains, coast, city. . . but I know wherever it is will be AWESOME. Yep, I may be lost, but I'm going in the right direction! I love my life!!!
Attached Images
Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Charlessavedme - I'm so sorry to read about your sweet doggie.

I've got a seat on the bus! Will be nose to the grindstone for me all weekend but still popping in to see how all you busy folks are doing.

MesaMan - I'll never forget sleeping on the roof of a houseboat on Lake Powell when I was kid. Waving my arm into the dark sky full of stars bats - the bats would swoop down and around clicking away with their sonar.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi again, thanks for the kind words. I will get through it with all of you and I know all you pet lovers understand.

Altoids, I think I need an adventure too - maybe Sunday because our son has a soccer game tomorrow afternoon. The great thing about living in North Carolina is that we could be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in under 3 hours or at the beach in about 2.5 hours. Or there could be apple picking up near the mountains. So many choices and reminders that the world is amazing place.

First, back to work for four more hours.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Love it Altoids. Lost in the right direction.

I want to take the kids apple picking but it will have to be next weekend if we go.

I just mistyped weekend and came up with a theme for weekenders-Halloween edition. Eekenders. Just a thought. Halloween is a Friday this year. I'm taking the day off from work to take the kids trick or treating. Plus, a three day weekend is nice too.

Lunchtime here. Reminds me, I have to call my sister in law.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm not sure which way to go yet. Apple picking sounds like a lot of fun. Guess I should do some google searches, and check the weather, and then make a plan!!! Be sure to let me know what you plan, CSM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm in the midst of a large decluttering project. One that will be many weeks long. I do the easiest stuff first. Look; make decision, toss or move on. This process is only seconds long for each item. Then I do another total round with the same mindset. Keep going until all decisions are made. You can't help but to get to more and more details that way.

Lost my best dog ever several years ago. She's buried in the back yard. That was one good dog. I think you only get a few over your life.

Hope all are well.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Work in progress. Can't wash dishes now.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Don't think I'm ever gonna make shot gun, think I'm gonna need you to hook me up with one of those unlimited spots Ken!!

My first weekend I was completely lost without a drink in my hand, time felt like an age, Friday and Saturday evenings, which rolled into nights and then mornings, as I wasn't sleeping properly, and all the while the texts rolled in inviting me to the pub, Sobriety definitely comes with the whole package in the beginning which makes things even tougher, SR was the solution to the problem for many many hours from memory!!

But as the months rolled on, the Sober muscles develop to take on life as a non drinker!!

This weekend, I have double header of ice hockey games to attend, season is now in full flow over here, also anyone watching Ryder Cup golf this weekend? as always NFL and Premiership soccer thrown into the mix for good measure!!

Let's keep it Sober Weekenders!!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Ruby, don't you have a hose connected outside? Get to it!
MM -Time has eluded me. I guess it was last year in August we rented kayaks from the marina. Headed out then circled lone rock and investigated every nook and cranny on the far shore. Heading back into a strong headwind was quite a chore. It's bigger than it looks from the shore. I didn't care for the slot canyon boat tour. Quite a let down but it was still pretty cool.

I spent afternoon - so far - cleaning the invisible parts of kitchen, stove etc. Disassembled the spigot and was using toothpicks to get some places. Took the blades off the ceiling fan and cleaned one at a time - they get that kitchen gunk on them. Still lot's to do.
pic is from lake powell slot canyon cruise - HOT AND NOISY! they did have 'free' lemonade. I think I drank a half gallon
Attached Images
slotcruise1.JPG (52.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One of my more memorable vacations was to the Four Corners Area of the Southwest...

And Ruby, I have also been there with the kitchen remodel thing. I can't remember how long we lived with a temporary sink and the fridge in the dining room...

It's a rainy day off for me here, but I sure can't complain about our weather. For the past six months. it has been beautiful! And we're forecast to have a nice day Saturday and Sunday, which means I will be busy at the hotel (I just get one day off...)

I wish everyone the best for staying sober this first weekend of the season!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

MM - forgot to ask, did you make it up to rainbow bridge? and make sure you take one of those trips with the local injuns out of page to the slots, the upper you can drive to yourself, but the lower you need to reserve a ride on one of them fancy jacked up touring trucks
Attached Images
lowerslot.a.JPG (44.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by LBrain; 09-26-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added slot pic
Old 09-26-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

So many cool posts!!!

Charlee... glad you are handling this as best you can. I have never lost a pet yet. Henry is 15 and even just a few minutes ago when I arrived home he is so much a part of my routine and I get happy to see him. So I suspect I might take this very hard.

Work is done!!! Fun field trip out today. Learned the ways people actually use the widgets we build.

I looked around my apartment and realized I have everything done and in order. No laundry. No dishes. Everything is cleaned from the weeks efforts. Just need food shopping and thats it. I am not bragging ... I am shocked. LOL

Guess I have to go buy things or maybe come up with a new recipe.

And before anyone gets a bright idea... NO... I wont come over and do your chores.

Think I will head into town to people watch and walk a bit.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
BigS, after such a successful wrapping up here in chicago I hope you got out ok. Radio this morning said no flights were going out of either airport at the moment but I didn't hear why.
My flight did get airborne, but that was right when the fire in the radar warehouse started, so we circled Chicago for 2 hours and then got diverted to Tulsa. Needless to say, I missed my connection in Houston and am now sitting at Bush Int'l Airport for the 5th consecutive hour. Just 3 more hours to go and I'm on the flight down to Guatemala City. My first thought was "oh no! how am I going to survive at this airport for 8 hours and ignore all the bars!" - but, I've done just fine. Coffee shops, chatting with friends online, and a sit-down lunch. It's all been okay, considering the big picture. I'll deal with it and move on.

Charlee - so sorry to hear that news. What a shame, I'm so sorry for what is certainly a hard time for you.

Ruby - aack, I hate that feeling when your house is all of a sudden NOT yours anymore! Construction, moving, etc - it never seems fair having to "make do" in your OWN HOUSE! That's the one place we can usually always rely on. Tough!

Nons - GREAT shot. Wow, what a view and what a weekend that looked like. Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing that. I've never been to that neck of the woods but everyone who has tells me it's simply fantastic. Sure looks it.

Weas - hope you're enjoying the day, kick back and have a nice dinner - something tells me you're planning on getting up early to get the most out of the weekend tomorrow bright and early.