Notices

Fill-in-the-blank Weekender Thread Sept 26-28!

Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

just in case y'all don't know, our host with the most is celebrating a year sober!

Weasel, You are a true champion for sobriety.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks LB. Not quite a full year yet. But the post was about the last year since getting myself out of where I was and how much has changed. I a so thankful for every sober day I have and living each.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Charlee, so sorry for your loss. Pets are truly a gift. Please accept my positive vibes coming your way.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I am in!!!

Non...I hope your sister will be okay.

I am sorry about your loss CSM...hugs and prayers xx

I love reading about your travels BigS...keep us posted!!

I was not here last weekend but I have had a very productive few weeks...in spite of everything. My English classes are going well...my student is very appreciative. I am doing a new night class and I have an essay to write. I am also taking part in a "Job Club"...where they help you with your CV and interview preparation...I am applying for loads of jobs and I have two interviews lined up for next week. One of them is as a "Book Cataloguer"...I would like this job...LOVE reading and LOVE books...I have visions of myself swinging around on one of those ladders, like Niles in that episode of Frasier (my favourite show)

I have gone to stay with my dad for the weekend...he has remarked on the change in me. He said "You are such a sweet person. If you got a job you enjoyed, it would be the making of you...it would change your life completely".

We had a lovely dinner out this evening. I had spicy chicken curry with chocolate brownies afterwards...pity about the group of "cackling hens" at the next table...all wearing black shirts with "40 and still hot...buy her a shot"...written in pink...one of them knocked a glass of wine over her phone and started laughing like a hyena...it was time to get the hell out of there before they started bitching about men

Oh the place where I do volunteer work has invited me to a "Volunteer Appreciation Evening"...I was dubious about accepting as I have only been working there for a few weeks, but I figure why not? Be good to be sociable and you never know who I might meet!

P.S. Is that your puppy Mesaman? What a cutie!!! Put him/her on a plane to Shannon airport for a squeeze and a cuddle!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

How wonderful life is turning out for you, Tetra! i really hope you get the job! Frazier was a great show!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I'm comitted to staying sober this weekend.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm on Tokyo for work till Thursday and have a meeting planned for this afternoon! I'm from the Boston area so this is a tough one with no family support. I will be checking this board quite often.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welocme SoberNL!!!

Welcome to SR too!

The weekender is a great place to stay sober for the weekend. Lots of good people around if you need anything.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

So the guy who set fire to the air traffic facility is a contractor who was disgruntled because he was being transferred from northern Illinois to Hawaii. I guess it takes all kinds. I've never heard of anyone being disgruntled about going to Hawaii.

SoberNLovingit, hang here with us this weekend. Everyone is going to or in such interesting places.

Tetra, go an have fun at the volunteer appreciation dinner. You can meet other volunteers there. When I used to volunteer I always met some really nice people at the social functions.

I have a hose but don't need it yet in the kitchen. I bought a bunch of paper plates today and I have plastic cutlery from past birthday parties. Refrigerator is still in the kitchen but all the cabinet and drawer contents are piled around the house. The most frustrating part is not having any work surfaces. Dining room table doing double duty. My floors are so grimy I hate walking in them but washing them at this point is silly. More dust and grime still to come.

My kids have been twice as loud as usual today so I'm taking a brief break outside. I didn't go to my usual Friday meeting but I went to a couple of meetings during the day this week. Kind of struggling with the mess and stress so I check in here. It helps get it out of my system.

Back to the noise. Hope everyone is having a good night. BigS, I hope your delay is coming to a close.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hello all. We had chinese food for dinner and are now watching Monuments Men. A pretty good movie. I'm so full that I'm not sure I have room for ice cream. But I am strong in my resolve to stay on the bus.

Great reading everyone's posts. I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi!! I'm on the bus even though I won't be posting! Headed out of town for the weekend...leaving bright and early tomorrow AM. I'm thinking out the door by 6am which shouldn't be a problem for this sober gal who can go to bed at 10pm these days.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ma Nature

LBrain ~

Nice Pix, Senor.

Didn't get around to a 'Slot' Canyon Tour. I had our-then 1 yr old Goldie with me, and there's no way I'd leave him in my SUV even in November down in Page AZ. The temps are chilly enough, but some People are nuts. They'll steal and sell Dogs for $50- to get Meth Money, ad nauseum.

Tetra ~ He's the same Pup as in the Pic above with the Stuffed Toy. Good fun to hear from our very own Irish Correspondent. We had a blast there, and stayed once up on Dalkey Island outside Dublin. We drove around to eat at fairly high end Joints w/Female Head Chefs, as written up in 'Bon Appetit' Magazine. Why not, eh?

SoberNLuvingIt ~ Hang tight in Tokyo. A, challenging, Bar-intensive Town that I/we loved. Trippy Neon in their one-up Displays. Maybe a Japan Pic later...

I did my usual Recon on Google Earth before this 10-2010 Boondock Trip to see how many Dry Riverbeds I'd cross to get out to 'Ahlstrom's Point' below. A: 12. It's a 20 Mile trek in 4WD, and you'll be stranded out there if Flash Floods come in. You can look back to Page from this Pic point in S. Utah, and Private Planes taking off from Page go right overhead. So, you're WAY out there, but you're not. Without the Forest Fire Haze in these Pix, this Point is often a Pic seen in Dentist's Offices, as are Posters of the Slot Canyon you mention. There's this 'Thelma & Louise' drop off behind our Pup, so he's leashed momentarily to my SUV. Look across the Lake to the Bluff on the other side. That's what I'm standing on. The Dam top is 3,700' exactly. Water Level was 3,635' in this Pic. Now, it's 3,605'. Powell is exactly 50% full right now. Scary Water 'stuff' for California, and my Homies there.

While doing Canyon Wall prep in the late '50s for the 500'-tall Glen Canyon Dam there, they uncovered a Swimming Dinosaur. Swimming. It's displayed in a neato Museum next to the Dam. I stayed one night in a really kewl, funky lil Motel in Downtown Page. It was formerly Construction Worker Housing when the Dam was being built. Dog friendly; BBQ; Kitchenette [and a good Fridge to make Cooler Ice in]; and very nice Owners. $55-/night. Loved it.

I have a lot of respect for Slot Canyons. Floods a long ways away can get cha.

Antelope Canyon Flood Recap Video

-----

Music Video Link

'Rain' ~ The Beatles

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ahlstrom's Point_700.jpg (61.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

So far I'm in track this weekend--working. 15 hr shift as we speak

Tomorrow, I hope to continue to stay on track and have my first sober Saturday in what feels like an eternity.

See you all tomorrow!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I would love to join this weekend bus ...Is Saturday morning here in West Oz....and this is my second weekend sober..... am feeling a bit sorry for myself this weekend and really just watching movies, posting here and maybe do some craft work this afternoon.....basically just getting through the day..... but love reading all your posts ...thankyou all
Old 09-26-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

MM- at least take the drive down to the horseshoe, it's only a short hike to the edge, great view,

tetra - go and be appreciated, I did volunteer at literacy society teaching ESL a few years back, also did big brothers for a while until job prevented me from continuing. very rewarding experiences. I may soon get back into volunteer work again. still getting situated with life and fixing up place. and I need a real job soon.

once again some new riders on the weekend bus - very cool

BigS, I've been catching wild latin america on netflix lately, neat stuff.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Julie ,
nice to hear your plan , good to have you along on the bus *ring ring*

Sorry to hear about charlie,
I believe our animals would want us to be and remain sober, big internet hug to ya mate .

Hey everyone ,
sober saturday morning drinking my coffee . I'm reading 3 books at the moment , "jutland to junkyard" about the scrapping of the german high fleet after them scuttling them in scapa flow in orkney near scotland .

"strands" a book about what was washed up on a beach in a year,

and lastly ,

froissarts' chronicles which is about the times he lived in … very game of thrones-ish ..

so reading is on the cards today, need some peace and quiet after a busy week at work . Will go see mex-m8 this evening catch up on his happenings .

Off to see hawkwind monday night , which should be fun

Make your saturday as great as you can , m
Old 09-27-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Back on the bus - Weekend #3

*This forum (especially the weekender thread has been particularly useful in keeping me sober)*

This week, I had quite a stressful week at work; although managed to stay off the booze and de-stress in healthier ways (exercise).

Last night, I went for a cycle and did some cooking.

Today, I plan on heading to a nice café in central London to meet a friend for coffee. We will be booking a trip to the USA this coming Spring.

I also plan to tell this friend about my alcoholism. I've hinted at it before, but I feel telling those close to me will make me more 'accountable' and harder for me to slip back to where I was last month. It's entirely up to him how he supports me or if he wants to. I don't think people should adjust their lifestyles because I cannot control mine. Basically, he should feel free to drink on our USA trip, even if I can't/shouldn't/don't want to etc.. You get the point

Anyway, happy sober weekend folks.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Closetlobster.... That's awesome! Congrats on weekend three in the works. Wow... Feels good to know you can do it huh? Telling people can be a big help. Hope it goes as planned for you. Where in the US are you thinking of visiting?

As for this guy I am heading out to walk /run this morning. I wear a fitbit and want to get my first 30K step day today. I am determined!

See you all Later!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Closetlobster.... That's awesome! Congrats on weekend three in the works. Wow... Feels good to know you can do it huh? Telling people can be a big help. Hope it goes as planned for you. Where in the US are you thinking of visiting?

As for this guy I am heading out to walk /run this morning. I wear a fitbit and want to get my first 30K step day today. I am determined!

See you all Later!

I'm thinking of doing an east coast tour of NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC.

Then I'm planning to fly to San Fran and head down the Californian coast finishing in San Diego.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Even though I'm a true Vermonter I still love being the tourist gawking at the beautiful Fall foliage. The colors in my area are just starting to pop. I and my other Northern friends are enjoying an odd round of very sunny and warm weather. I'm planning on winterizing and putting away my camper (which I didn't use enough at all this year). Hoping to go to the local orchard and get apples, an apple pie and cider donuts...yum! Variety of Fall Festivals around the area as well so may do that too. I need to rejuvenate as it was a long work week. The thought of drinking and fitting it in to my work and weekend just feels wrong now Hope all who have plans or those who may be mending broken hearts remain strong on this sober journey.: