Notices

Fill-in-the-blank Weekender Thread Sept 26-28!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Fabulous, Brain!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone for welcoming me .... I will slowly but surely get to know you and how this all works.

It is Sunday lunchtime here in West Oz and i got through Saturday and Saturday night by just taking it slowly (I was totally overwhelmed yesterday morning by where I find myself at this point of time in my life )

Weasel ... loved you talking about the Cruise ships and your side of the world .. I'm a Travel Agent and have sent many people to many destinations on the sister ships of "Brilliance of The Seas" ... even went on the "Sovereign of The Seas" around the Caribbean many years ago.

Charleesavedme ..(hope I have your name right) yes I love my dogs (my eight legs and their wagging tails) they do help me...

Look forward to staying in touch with you all
Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

My thoughts are with you Melki, I hope you can find some relief this weekend. I am also struggling with a boat load of anxiety today and overwhelmed with work. I tried looking at all of the good things I have done at work and reminding myself that I am indeed,.... Good enough.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Went to a girlfriends tonight for a social time with a few friends. They were drinking so for a little while it felt difficult that I was not. But overall I was ok and felt happy to drive myself home and know that tomorrow I will feel good when I wake up! Good night.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Melki, I hope you're doing better. I feel overwhelmed sometimes too. Crying helps. Posting and reading on here helps me too.

BigS, I'm glad you made it home, safe and sound. Sprang right back in action, too, it sounds like. Thanks for your earlier post to K. I used to get that feeling a lot on Sunday nights. Prime time for my drinking, actually. Especially at this Time of year when the days are getting shorter. To fill that aching hole. I don't mind Sunday nights that much anymore. Just one more day.

Brain, the tiles are actually vinyl and come like what I posted. Three "tiles" on one sheet. The strip at the edge is a super sticky glue strip. No grout needed, nor is an under coating of adhesive. It's a free floating floor and each piece sticks together along that strip but not to the sub floor. I googled the system and was reading about the "fails" on it and it seems to happen with faulty installation. When this guy started working on the kitchen stuff I was a little nervous about what he could do but the more I've seen him work the more confidence I have in him. I'm glad he wanted to read the directions since he hasn't worked with this product before.

More kitchen headaches and really a lesson in doing what pleases me. I was nervous about the car weighted sink with granite and googled prepping and whether the granite combined would be too heavy. I found myself reading the undermount vs. drop in sink controversy that drop in is "just not done" with granite. Especially in "nicer" homes. For a second I second guessed my choice but then I figured I like the shiny white sink. My parents have granite and a drop in sink. It looks good. I'm not doing this for resale value. I'm not doing it to be trendy. I'm doing it because I want a functional kitchen. Someday-after installation is complete.

I'm getting boring with the kitchen stuff. So, I am going to bed. The evening meeting was good. Speaker meeting. Second speaker was good. One comment was that no one can teach us how to get sober. What matters is learning how to stay sober. Minute by minute sometimes. But we do it. He made a bunch of good points and it was when I saw the woman sitting next to me write something down in a little notebook did I think maybe I should carry one with me all the time. Useful for that and for reminding me that I need cat food, paper towels, dental appt. good night and see you all in the a.m.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Morning morning morning all , this is London calling …

Had an interesting night of it , was woken up at 00:15 by the mobile of the employer I'm working for ….. spend some time wondering if i should answer … rings off .. listen to the answer phone message and it all sounds terribly fraught and desperate …

So off i went to work until 4:30 AM … That escapade for 4 hrs cost them over £500 so i'm quite a happy bunny all told .. The wonders of being sober.. i'd have missed all these opportunities in the old days .
Sobriety means i'm able to handle these curve balls far better , think on my feet , even when i'm woken in the middle of the night ..

In three years of one step after another , no huge leaps , this is where i've ended up .. I have no idea where this is all leading or if i'll have a job at the end of next week . I have a firm faith that i'll persevere though . Thats enough ..

Sunday morning coffee tastes good , the sun is shining and it's a new day ready to be filled with good things to do .

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-28-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

That's great, Mecanix! You're crying all the way to the bank!

I went to a barbecue last night and saw a couple of old friends from 30 years ago, including one of my bridesmaids!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better Meiki

Welcome Julie59

That's great Mecanix...congrats

I'm having pancakes and maple syrup...Yum! LOVE weekend breakfasts

Have a great Sunday!!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Nice work M!!!!

MM... Great story. Love the pics.

Julie... Glad you plan to stick around!

Gentlesoul and Melki.... Hope today is better for you!

My little one left my little bits to clean first thing. He never gets sick and he was so upset he hide in the corner while I cleaned. Need to shampoo the carpet later. Lol

Here is Chuckie.... The little bugger...

Old 09-28-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

About a year ago I was at a Home & Garden show and there was a vendor selling the Cadillac of pole saws. They were hand-made by virgins from a titanium-kryptonite alloy, and after the tree limbs threw themselves on the front curb in submission the saw would brew you a fine cup of tea. But it was $375, so I passed. I really wish I had bought that pole saw. The cheap one I have is making life difficulter than it needs to be.

[/pole saw rant]

The backpack I used last weekend worked OK, but it was built for a smaller person so yesterday I repaired another backpack that I have. It's an external frame pack with much larger capacity than I need, but if it fits better it might be better than the ill-fitting pack I used last weekend. The larger pack was missing some of the hardware that secures it to the frame. Nobody locally sells replacement hardware, so I spent a little time at the hardware store until I found something suitable for the task. I think it will work just fine.

Nice dinner with friends last night. The ladies drank some wine, but Bubba and I had iced tea. Not sure why he didn't drink beer - he normally does. The subject never came up.

My life for the next few weeks will revolve around tax class and preps for my (bucket list) Grand Canyon trip in November. I'll try not sound like a broken record.

Keep it sober, Y'all!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning all,

I did end up getting the LG – it ‘s a high efficiency top loader and I love it. Did 3 loads of laundry yesterday. The last time I bought a new washer was in 1994. Technology has changed..lol

Fandy, I’m sure we will adopt another dog in time. I adopted Charlee after I lost another beloved dog and there’ll come a day where I’ll find another dog through a rescue or animal shelter. We still have Zeus, who loved Charlee very much and is off kilter. We also have my mother-in-law’s dog that we took in after she passed away, but he’s never felt like part of our family to me. He flew here all the way from England with my sister-in-law. He’s 14. Don’t get me started on the unfairness of the universe that Charlee would die at 6 but Little is still here causing chaos. But, I love my sister-in-law and it gave her comfort that we took in Little. However, she just got married to an American and if they move back to his hometown of Louisville, KY, my housewarming present to her will be the dog.

Brain – Thank you for the Amish Paradise. I saw Weird Al in concert a few years ago and it was fabulous. He is so talented. I’m looking forward to coming back “home” next weekend.

Love the floor, Ruby!

Mecanix, you are an inspiration!

MM, It is so beautiful where you live. What a blessing to be able to enjoy that beautiful country.

I hope everyone struggling has a better day today. Weasel, night time is hard for me too. I went to bed last night at 8:00. Melki, GentleSoul and Julie ((hugs)).

Tetra – yum, pancakes!

Weasel – love the picture!

Today, I have to take a shower and then get to the store. Not sure an adventure is in the cards this weekend, but I’m just going to keep busy.

Here’s a picture of Charlee and Zeus when Charlee came home from the hospital after his surgery.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Non, I can't wait to hear about your trip to the Grand Canyon! Maine and the Grand Canyon are two places I am determined to go with the kids before my daughter graduates high school.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

wow, a great morning of posts,
Mx - what a great win for sobriety eh

weasel - such a handsome cat...

Ruby, now I understand - those floors can be tricky. it's almost worth it to buy a few squares just to 'practice' putting it together - mistakes are unforgiven with that kind of adhesive.

to all who were struggling and having a rough time of it, I understand. Hope you made it through the nite and feeling better.

sit back, close your eyes and listen to this, this song always takes me on a journey, and by the end I am full of energy

Old 09-28-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

my honey just got home from work, gotta take my morning shower so I don't disturb her sleep. btw, I have 9 months today... last night the stars were amazing

Old 09-28-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Congratulations, LBrain!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Mecanix that's great! Now we're talking! I bet you feel pretty darn good. Hat's off to you my friend. And how awesome to hear sobriety played a big role too. You've essentially turned what used to be a weakness into a strength. Being a non-drinker makes us extremely reliable. You capitalized on a Saturday night opportunity that not many people (alcoholics or not) could have. Nice work again!

Finally feeling rested and re-adjusted here. I've been so busy that I've almost forgotten why I moved here in the first place. Here are a few shots I took that have done a good job reminding me!

The volcano in the first picture is "Fuego", which is active and can often be seen smoking right from town. I took that on my walk in the park yesterday. The volcano in the last picture is "Agua", which is not active. I took that about 10 minutes ago from my rooftop terrace. What a view!

Old 09-28-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Back to work tomorrow. I'm taking Wednesday off so this will be a shorter week too. I forgot about that but my son has a doctors appointment my husband wishes me to take him to.

Julie, I hope your Sunday went well. You are probably close to turning in by now. I'm still not getting the time difference. Will have to check it.

Charlee, your husbands family does seem to have a penchant for marrying Americans. Zeus is a handsome dog. My grandfathers dog is about the age of your MIL's dog, Little. He used to worry that if he died before rusty no one would take him. Neither my brother nor I could or would as he is absolutely terrible with kids. It is good of you that you did take him in, transatlantic adoption and all.

Thanks for the tip Brain. A few practice sheets will be well worth it. I'm not covering a huge expanse but it will be worth it.

It must be fall. A million wasps are everywhere in my yard. Luckily no one has been stung yet. Squirrels too. Killer cat has made it her mission to chase them out of the yard and old cat just lazily blinks at them and continues napping in the sun. Ken, if only mine would exhibit shame in leaving messes to clean. I think old cat is doing it. Nothing lately but hair balls I think. Yuck.

I was going to hit a meeting at 8 but it had been so long since I went forgot it was eight. Now it's 8:20. Dang it. Now I feel discombobulated. What to do? There is a nine a.m. Breakfast meeting. Maybe that one.

Time to get ready and face the day.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

BigS, thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Lovely photos!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

Last night had a dream that we all had a Weekenders Recover-Con. Or Sober-Con. It was an SR Convention. We all were there with our little name tags that said 'Hello, My Name is .......', holding cups of coffee and club soda. I believe the coordinator did a fabulous job getting it all set up at the alcohol free hotel. There were AA and NA meetings for those who partake, there were book discussion groups and a place and time for popular recovery movies. Scheduled hikes and yoga classes, and some fabulous food.
I must say, it was fabulous to meet all of you! You all looked exactly how I have imagined!

Happy Sunday!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Olive, that's great! I love that dream. SoberCon, Weekenders edition. It would be fun.