Notices

I don't know how to live sober , scared

Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Unhappy I don't know how to live sober , scared

Hello , Newbie here and totally scared... ====> glad I found this site. It is good to know I am not alone. I have to stop drinking as my body is tired of the abuse for the last 15 years of non -stop partying. Anxiety and Panic attacks (anxiety lasting a week) when hungover, feeling like crap.. not to mention I have gained lots of weight over the years. I do not know how to live sober. I stopped drinking yesterday and even right now want to go in my fridge and grab a beer. I have a good professional job, tons of friends and I do not drink 24/7 but some nights after work I do and weekends most def. and family situations I liked to be buzzed up to deal with them lol

I know that alcohol is the cause of my many issues and I want to live a healthy happy life, Alcohol has been my best friend for so long I feel terrified at the thought of saying goodbye forever.

Any advice /stories would be helpful - Thank you in advance!

Scared in Houston, Miss99
Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome miss99! You have come to a good place and will find plenty of support and people you relate with here. Alcohol might seem like your best friend now, but that relationship will change. My advice is rather blunt...stop drinking now before alcohol becomes your worst enemy! Dont think of it as forever because that can seem rather impossible. Just take it one day at a time and give the sober life a chance. I guarantee you will enjoy it immensely, and it will be the best decision you have ever made! Good luck on your journey!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Miss99

Personally, I don;t think anyone starts off knowing how to live sober, and I think everyone is scared, at least a little

There's a ton of support and encouragement here tho...feel free to explore the forums and the various threads

My best advice for now would be to try and avoid leaping ahead too much in your mind...all you have to do is stay sober today - that's all any of us can do really

D
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Miss99, to SR and yes you are not alone. I was scared in the beginning just like you but fear of that kind vanished in a short period of time. Just tuff it out, suffer through the junk thinking. That side of you that wants to drink is going to fight you toe and nail, nut will finally give up, rootin for ya.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Thank you soo much, You guys are right...one day at a time! I tend to over-think everything. I am going to explore the forums and occupy my mind, Glad to be here!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Miss99! I too had terrible anxiety from alcohol, that will subside. About 4 months ago I couldn't imagine living my life without alcohol or the party. There are good days and bad, but now with SR and time under my belt I am sober. Good Luck and I'm glad your with us!!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Thanks Erik , I appreciate that!! Blessings to you
Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am new as well, but have gone a year sober in the past. Try and do something that you enjoy. I think the hard part is the thoughts that go through our heads. You can do better with your life, the way alcoholics live is not living. All i know is this place is a good start.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JJ9

Hi Miss99. I feel the same way! My body is so ready for me to be done with this abuse and I am ready to live a happy healthy life. Today is my day 1 so I have no good advice, but good luck to you! I hope to see you around the forums.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Miss99! It is scary at first. I remember being so scared to give up drinking. I had no idea how life was going to be or even how I was going to do it. My entire life has had alcohol attached to it in some way or another. In the end it was because of the extreme anxiety/health issues I'd been having. I was always hungover and felt that I was only living in survival mode. I finally stopped in the end of November and I feel like I am learning who it is I truly am now. It isn't easy but I am not drunk anymore. Even reading what you can on alcohol really helps to stay motivated. That's all I did for the first 2 months. The more I read about what alcohol does to the mind/body helped reinforce my decision to stay sober. SR has been a lifesaver for me personally. Anytime you have questions or want to reach out-someone can relate and give you their thoughts, advice and support. Also I used the chat room so much when the anxiety was unbearable. It really helped even if we were just talking about random things. Again Welcome!!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt exactly the same way, after over a decade of being an addict and alcoholic I didn't have a clue as to how to live in the "real" world. I'd gotten so used to my world of chaos, pain and destruction I'd created for myself. I was terrified.

So I found some sober, "normal" people to help walk me through the transition. I'm at day 45 and I'm getting the hang of it but I still have my days where I feel kind of lost.

It does feel like the loss of a good friend at first but that feeling has faded the longer I've been clean. Hang in there and welcome!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Miss99 I felt the same way 12 days ago and honestly still do but feeling a little better. I also feel alcohol is my best friend and not only that I don't know how to do anything without it. I cook, clean, family events, talk in phone, dinners, ect with alcohol. Just like you I don't drink daily and don't drink that much but make horrible decisions when drinking, can't deal with the guilt ect, I think you can do this. I started by going to a meeting and have a made commitment each day to not drink. Also got a sponsor working the steps.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Str8chaos , you are so right, it is the thoughts that are scary ...like what now. Thank you , I am ready to live better.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wild Child

JJ9 -Thank you , I am here if you need to chat. This weekend is all about me and relaxing. I am scared about Sunday - father's day and I am used to being a little buzzed around family. LOL, I am such a dumb A55

I wish you much luck , hit me up anytime.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Cusper -Thank you!! Yes, very scary. Being social always involves drinks and I have truly partied my whole life. How is your anxiety now that you are sober???!!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Amester - Thank you! Congrats on day 45 !! This place is truly amazing and I am so glad that I found you guys.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

Its not easy on the beginning. Fear of the future was really big for me. There was a raw emptiness.

It helps to find ways of keeping occupied and your mind off things. My mind raced and my moods were unstable.

In sobriety i have found a peace and freedom that i never had.

Hang in there and keep posting
Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Miss99 I'm also worried about Father's Day. I always drink around family and ESP around my dad! Message me in Father's Day if u want! It would help me too
Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Hereandnow -Thank you!! 12 days is a good start. How do you feel health wise now? All we can do is take it day by day. I also like to cook and have wine, Chat online and have wine , go out etc etc. I think I need a new BFF!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Wild Child

Is there an App for SR? I also cannot seem to be able to get on chat for some reason on my pc.