Notices

Fill-in-the-blank Weekender Thread Sept 26-28!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Rest in peace, thing, you were loved and much appreciated by Ruby.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

I made it through the whole weekend-S-O-B-E-R!

But then, when I was all congratulatory towards myself, the overwhelming urge to drink was upon me :-/

I didn't give in talked myself out of it!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Yay you, Briseis! Way to kick that AV in the teeth.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Slave To The Microwave

Ruby2 ~

Well, shucks, better Women than you have hated me while loving me! No, wait, that's a 'Squeeze' Song, right? Hee hee. Love dem. Just heard that Song on Sirius Radio yesterday. Great Songwriters are dey...

In other Techno News, the popping sound you heard was the [Micro Wave-producing] Klystron Tube arcing off the Metal Cup. Not good. Possibly shorted out a Power Supply. On a ~9 year old Microwave, there ain't much chance of getting a replacement Circuit Board IF that's what went South when a Guano-load of Current was asked for by the Klystron arcing. Modern Microwaves generally survive that sort of abuse by built-in Current-limiting Circuitry.

The good news is that you get a lot more bang for your buck these days. I'd steer the Mo-in-Law to specifically what equivalent Oven you want. But, that would take some Recon time just when you can't spare it. Appliances like that are generally considered 'Consumables'. As background, I had my first Ham Radio Station at age 11, so all this Radio 'stuff' [like the Klystron 'Radar' Tube in Microwaves] is pretty familiar territory. Move along and go new, if at all you can. Bad timing on all this, I realize. Microwaves can be repaired but - to quote John Wayne - 'We're burning Daylight'. Repair will likely take much longer, and the 'legacy' Parts cost[s] likely will be a stunner.

Speaking of slow 'Net connections, this plodding 3G Cellular Connection I'm on won't play the classic Do Wop Song 'Mother In Law'. Otherwise, I'd post it in a femto-second. A lot of stuff in Life is funny when it ain't happening to you, eh?

Well done LBrain! I hit 9 months meself in a few weeks. No large deal anymore. And, Hats Off to the Noobs here muscling through the Early Days.

Nytol...
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Thanks MM. Mother in law ordered a new one. A sharp. And we did go amazon after all. My mom loaned me her farberware electric skillet. Not as convenient but doable for the time being.

We unplugged the old one. I haven't checked the plug. My son was freaking out that the house would burn down. He was the one who shut it off when it started to make the sound. Now I'm going to have to check.

Thanks Melki. It was much appreciated. I will haul it out to the alley for the scrap guys.

I'm eating ice cream. I'm not ready for returning to work tomorrow. See you all soon!

Way to go Briseis! That's great!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

I just caught up reading the thread.

I love reading about the little nuances in y'all's lives - I live vicariously through them.

To compare and contrast, I live in an apartment. It's on the upstairs corner and my view is apartment rooftops. From every window.

My kitchen microwave works, and since I live alone and know about aluminum (sorry, Ruby's mom) it is still in working order. My kitchen light fixture, however, has a mind of its own. It's one of those two-flourescent-bulb deals, and the covering on it has fallen off four times. The first time it fell, it broke a tad on the corner, but being drunk, I simply put it back on. Of course it fell off again, so had the maintenance man come fix it.

A couple months later, BANG! it fell off again. (It always falls off at night too, which scares the nightlights outta me) - so, replace again.

A couple months later, same thing. So I basically threw up my hands in discouraged perfectionism and left the bulbs bare, to glare down upon me every time I dare turn them on.

Needless to say, that's one thing I won't miss when I move in a couple-three weeks.

Speaking of three weeks, tomorrow marks three weeks sober for me. woot.

It was a good weekend, though today was emotionally catastrophic, I survived and lived to tell the sober tale. I shan't bore with details, as I really don't yet feel like coughing them all back up, but let's just say I'm uber grateful for these forums and the support of my AA group.

Time for some more Blacklist I'm trying to draw it out as much as I can, as I know this is the only season I've got for awhile.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Sorry you've had a tough time, Roguedreams.

Glad your MIL is shelling out for the microwave you want, not the cheapest one going, Ruby. Sage green or white walls sound like the action!

Melki, I'm so glad you're feeling better!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Congrats Briseils!

Good to see everyone checking in. Wow I want to comment on so much I forget things sometimes.

Sage... Sage if the way to go with the yellow. It softens it and sage is a relaxing color. Green and yellow are close on the color wheel and go well together. Assuming the yellow is not super bright. A softer tone might be best.

And yes... This is coming to you straight from the very colorblind guy! I used to develop websites and do a lot of graphics work. I had to use the color codes to be sure of what I was doing then get a lot of feedback. But yellow is my favorite color so I know what goes with it.

Off to start my week. Busy with designing stuff at work. My favorite task.

Reminder.... Like you folks need one... The noobs do... Next weekender busses leave Thursday around noon EST.

Thanks for the ride team!

K
Old 09-29-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Ruby, i painted the kitchen in a "glazed ginger" deep dramatic, with light parchment rock maple cabinets and Normandy Granite, taupe 3 x6" glass subway tile backsplash. Just finished the living room ( with light oak floors) in a taupe with white linen crown molding. It is totally different from what colors i chose in the past, but looks good, very fresh.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys The weekender thread helped me a ton!

Sounds like we all had pretty busy weekends--now it's up and at 'em for Monday!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Rogue, I'm glad to hear you made it through and congratulations on three weeks. When I first, first started the quitting process that first three weeks was the hardest. But you did it. Yay!

The yellow tile isn't too overwhelming or at least that's what I tell myself. It's what is now on the walls. You know, I've spent a lot of time over my life working with colors and you know, only recently did I come across a color wheel and found it fascinating. Fandy, you have me curious with glazed ginger. I'm going to look that up. And my living room used to be taupe and still has the cream/white crown molding. I love that combination.

Thanks everyone for humoring me. And MM, Thank you for the microwave lesson. That's really interesting. Klystron tubes sounds so science fiction-y and here we have that modern marvel. People can do all sorts of amazing and wonderful things.

Monday. Woke up super early and in better frame of mind. I'm not so upset about the microwave. It was a mistake. Haven't I done my fair share of careless things? The world won't end because of this.

So, good morning! Have a great week everyone. And see you back here in four days. Sober.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

wow, it was a last minute rush to get on the weekender thread... lots of good stuff
just wanted to say about 5 years ago I come home from work and see my microwave oven is black and charred inside all over. Hmmm, I "confront" my lady. What happened to the microwave oven? "I don't know. I just wanted to boil a pot of water." It still has a scar, but it works great. GE spacemaker - would have been a bitch replacing it.
Ruby, I'd leave that microwave alone and pick up 'battleship' instead.

glad you checked in kevin. and Briseis, and all.

Ruby, pick up "Feng Shui Your Life" As soon as I get around to getting around to unloading my STUFF I am going to feng shui my life. Hopefully by spring my place will have undergone a metamorphoses of sorts. And a little waterfall effect above the fireplace. Yeah, someday...
Actually I am planning to move my wife and myself out to live with mesa man - shhh, he doesn't know this.

anyway, I'll be down south next weekend, may be scarce on SR.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I've been without a microwave oven since June 1! It's amazing how we have grown to depend on them. I remember seeing my first microwave oven, sometime around 1971. I was simultaneously amazed at and scared of it.

Saturday night and yesterday, I hung out with my almost-ex and my daughter. It's weird being in the house that was formerly mine (I've been in my own apartment since Memorial Day weekend). We had a decent time and there were moments that felt almost like pre-separation. Kind of an uncomfortable thing for me.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Come On Down!

LBrain ~

Hey, I'll have Da Wife give your idea to come out and live with us all the consideration it deserves! I did Re-Plat our 80 Acres into a 44 and a 36 Acre set of Parcels because you can only drill a Well in Colorado on 35 Acres minimum. Make me an offer I can refuse on the 36 Acre 'spare' Parcel, and we're good to go!

Ruby2 ~ Glad to hear that no Family Relationships were harmed in the making of your re-Applianced Kitchen. Other details are lookin' good, but I'm not livin' there with Kidz, either.

I lived in this upscale Gem seen below while building, and Life was pretty OK. Except when even this 'super-Insulated' Trailer had the Water Tank freeze to a block of Ice in the occasional -10 F degree CO Winter Night. And, the Ammonia-operated Fridge wet the Bed. Now, that's a Cooling Coil leak smell you don't soon forget. Gas build-up damned near blinded me when I opened the Fridge Door to investigate the smell. While thoroughly Scotched up, no doubt. And, a Rat invaded. Big enough to move entire Rolls of Toilet Paper, and Deer Antler 'Sheds' I'd picked up. Well, how long have you got? Mucking with Houses ain't for the timid, fo sho. Mister Murphy and his Law are always lurking, like a bad AV, ready to get cha. Exhibit A: What Microwave debacle?

I'm excited, however, that this 'Land Yacht' will see new service in providing a comfy Abode for Mista & Missus LBrain after they Emigrate to Colorado.

Great Chat here on everything from Paint Colors to moving to a different Apartment to Farberwear Electric Skillets. Hey, those Skillets are all the rage with some RVers. Versatile!

I can't get this Clip to load for Preview out here in the Boonies, so I'll put it up on blind faith. See all in a few days!

Music Video Link

'Monday Monday ~ 'Mamas & Papas

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trailer Sunset_750.jpg (52.8 KB, 14 views)