Notices

Whee!Kender Thread! 6/5-6-8

Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Arrow Whee!Kender Thread! 6/5-6-8

Thanks Ruby2 for making the weekender name a bit more fun!!!

Let's have a "Getting to know you!" weekend party! A mixer of the better kind!

We come here because we have something in common. Let's take a moment to post about what's uncommon between us.

What are you known for?
What is the place you live known for?
What do you want to be known for but no one knows yet?
What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic?
Maybe share something that we would be surprised to know!

This is not a talent contest but I am curious about the span of people that visit each week. I bet there is a lot of great things we can learn from one another about how we can stay sober through understanding ourselves better.

When I first was thinking about why I was down last week I felt like no one knows me. I am alone. It's a big trigger for me. It leads to why bother? No one cares.

That's not a way to be thinking. Not at all. So I was trying to think of what I want someone to know about me. And.... It was a tough thing to do. A good exercise of my emotional muscles.

*** You DON'T have to post something about yourself or where you live to participate. This is about staying sober for the weekend. Period. But we have themes to the threads sometimes to keep it fun. So speak up if just to say hello! ***

*** And it should go without saying that this is the web. Sharing details that are identifiable should be avoided for common sense reasons but certainly there are things we can chat about. ***

Ken
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let me start!

Something you don't know is I started my own candy making business when I was 20. I started at home and eventually opened my store. I won't say the name or place but I loved it because people don't walk in a candy store without a smile. Or at least they don't leave without one! Made all my own fudges and novelties. I held the first chocoholic day festival in a neighboring town. I made a chocolate carrousel and many other interesting things for people to look at and eat!

What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic? I use exercise and sleep.... Exercise to make it so I feel good about myself and I can fight cravings better. I use sleep as a way to make tomorrow come quicker when the day seems to have won. Is sleep a positive thing? It can be if it keeps me sober.

We have a festival this weekend here in Portland. An art walk on Friday and music all weekend. I will be out and about. I have to have a sausage sandwich from one of the food vendors. It's mandatory. Hmmmm. Maybe even one a day for the weekend!

Hope you all will have a good sober weekend too!

Ken
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Despite the fact that you started, Weasel, I consider myself to have gotten the shotgun position on the thread!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lol... Gilmer I had to rush to get my first post! I know that seat it coveted!

Always great to have you by my side for a good sober weekend ride! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are you known for?
I am known for being booksmart.

Being a Washington, DC suburb that went from a one-horse town to a suburban subdivision metropolis in five years.

Teaching people to be more Christlike and helping them to embrace a personal relationship with him.

What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic?
My faith, SR, my family

I have a tattoo, and I got it when I was 47.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great stuff Gilmer!

Booksmart is not something I identify with for me. Being a smart arse is! Lol,

I have three tattoos... Love them. Might get another for my 50th birthday.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weasel makes candy?!? I just fell in love with you a little bit more.
Do you ever make bacon brittle?

Tried to make the shotgun seat, but I am too slow.

The place where I live is known for rain, but the well kept secret is that it really doesn’t rain that much. Go ahead. Google it.
But, shhhhhhhhh, don’t tell anyone!

I am in for the weekend!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up

Weasel. Can I just say that I heart you through and through for starting the Whee!Kender (thanks Ruby ) thread and reminding me that this week is coming to a close. It has been a rough one! Your stories have truly become a highlight of my weekend reading experience. Truly!

What are you known for?
Getting stuff done. Super goal oriented and when I decide to do something I give it 110%. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to freak the sheet out of people with my intensity, so I generally have to keep my mouth shut. That's fine Always get it done.

Potholes and really, really bad driving. AAA is my BFF. If the person driving in front of me appears to be drunk driving, then I follow their swerve because a hub-destroying pothole is coming my way...hard-won wisdom. I LOVE the people here in my city. Every sector of the U.S. has been called home at one point or another (except the deep south) and I love to call *here* 'home'.

Virgo. Through and through. "It Ain't Easy Being Me"...but I'm working on it.

Resolve, fortitude, strength, loyalty to friends and family. Learning to truly receive the offers of friendship and kindness that come my way.

In a single summer season, I ate approximately 130 delicious doughnuts, enjoyed them thoroughly and did not gain a pound. That can be chalked up to a good roll of the dice along with my other BAhhhd ones. Weasel. Between your chocolates and my doughnut tastes...we could be bouncing off the walls together!

Appreciate you all very much and cannot wait to read all your gardening tips and such. Stay strong. We got this everyone!!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks LTV!

130 delicious donuts! Thats awesome! I was much skinnier back when I made my candies. I used to tell myself that chocolate covered strawberries, pineapple, cherries and candied orange peel count as a healthy breakfast because of the fruit!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
pray for strength

OH my gosh...chocolate dipped apricots. I'm swooning.

Gilmer, a tatoo?! I never would have guessed

Olive...I'm all over the Google. Great factoid. How are your flags holding up? Loved your pics from last week.

Bacon! Bacon jam and bacon brittle?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Verte,
The flags have straightened out and are now spreading good will and compassion. One end is next to a big clematis that grows in the corner of my tiny yard. It grows up and over the fence and has purple blooms. Last year it was super fluffy. It looks like it is going to be another good year for it. Once it blooms I will snap another photo!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!! well this is new, almost missed the thread till I re read the thread title!!

hmmm not sure on many of the answers to those questions, I'll have to have a think and maybe get back to them!!

Well I'm off to London in the morning for my sister's wedding, so it's going to be an early night tonight I think, I'm all packed and organised, off work now until next Friday, which I'm also looking forward to, just having a break for a week should be relaxing.

Let's do this Weekenders, or should I say Whee!Kenders!!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry purpleK I hope I did not mess anyone up! I was also afraid that the sharing suggestion might be too much. I just wanted to get good conversation going.

We can have a few simple weeks rather than so many themes.... Lol

Travel safe and have fun!

Ken
Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What are you known for? I always have a smile on my face. I work for a stuffy law firm and some tell me I am a breath of fresh air.
What is the place you live known for? I live on Long Island, NY home to lots of beaches just a short trip to New York City
What do you want to be known for but no one knows yet? I am at a loss with this one.
What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic? I like to do word searches and bu books of them. I make lots of chocolate covered strawberries as a treat.
Maybe share something that we would be surprised to know! No one one the site knows me yet but I look professional and innocent and have 6 tattoos.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Sorry purpleK I hope I did not mess anyone up! I was also afraid that the sharing suggestion might be too much. I just wanted to get good conversation going.
Don't worry Ken!! It's a pretty cool title!!

The sharing is also a great idea, my brain is just a bit fried at the moment, but I'll maybe rustle something together before Monday!!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey changeiscoming... I moved from Mineola last October back up to maine. Long Island tested my nerves but there are some great spots. Jones beach and all. The planting fields arboretum. I had to learn to drive nice again and not like the mad man I became! Lol

Great to have you aboard. And all six tats!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

What are you known for?
Being one of the most competent and skilled people in my field.

The crystal palace .

My new job . In the last two years on the contract i manage , two experienced guys managed to pull in £10,000 per year of work . In the last 12 weeks as a novice i've won £200,000 .. My boss wants me to run my own department and eventually have 12 guys working for me . Take the leap of faith ..

My alcoholism has helped me manage my life better by making me aware of how to deal with life on a day by day basis . When i go to bed at night i have no big worries about the past or the future .
It's helped me learn how to not pick up other peoples worries or problems, although empathise and support .

That you are incredibly powerful and that one act of kindness shown by you here or in your life can change someones life profoundly for the better . They can in turn pay that on ..

*ring_ring*

m
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
What are you known for?

Ken
In the local area I am known because I'm a teacher.
The place I live is known for its nightlife
I want to be known for being a great mum
My daughter is my life.
I have a masters in law! To the last question that is!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Mecanix..."The Sound of Broken Glass", Deborah Crombie's crime/mystery novel takes place in Crystal Palace area There are little history lessons throughout the book. Very interesting.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Whoa! How did it happen that the thread is up? I am sitting at my desk at 5:01 p.m. and am heading out the door but I am looking forward to hearing about everyone on here and what makes us all unique.

Time to head to the car, to traffic, to home....talk later! I'm in for the whee!kEnd!