Notices

Whee!Kender Thread! 6/5-6-8

Old 06-06-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

What are you known for?

I am known for being a world traveler and photographer, and I am considered charming and somewhat quirky. I am also the coolest uncle in the world, according to my 2.5 year-old niece.

What is the place you live known for?

I live in Chicago now, we're known for tons of stuff. I am moving to Guatemala in July for a month, they are known for their Mayan culture/art which has had a great effect on civilization. I lived there last summer as well.

What do you want to be known for but no one knows yet?

I have hosted over 150 international guests in Chicago at my flat through my "side business" as a home-share member. I would like to become a B&B or small hotel operator someday.

What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic?

I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I can navigate "bumps in the road" while abroad. I have had many un-planned adventures: I've flown on cargo planes in Honduras, driven motorcycles in Indonesia, backpacked through El Salvador and rode the subway in Madrid and Paris: and I have done all of these things by myself. It gives me encouragement to know that I have the internal fortitude to survive and get by in very challenging environments.

Maybe share something that we would be surprised to know!

I'm not fat! Many people have told me that when they picture the name "bigsombrero" they imagine a large, swarthy guy with a beard - like a pirate or something. Truth is I'm in pretty good shape for 39, and I don't have any hair on my head or face! LOL.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

That's really cool lunar!

Jupiters... Great answers! Switzerland must have been beautiful! Glad you are aboard for the weekend!

Big sombrero ... Lol I never pictured you as a large swarthy bearded dude. I did however always get the vibe you were a world seeker. Always good to see you here. And pictures of world travels highly encouraged!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Oh you can’t make it up! My colleague has just given me a 1l bottle of white wine from his home country, after returning back from holiday!

I literally have a bottle of wine sat beaming at me on my desk right now!

The funny/good news is that I feel OK about this! Not panicked, just mildly disappointed that I won’t get to taste it and will have to tell a little lie on Monday that it was lovely lol.

Dunno, think I am just a bit amused/bemused at the irony of the situation! Like, when does anyone *ever* just hand you a free bottle of wine?? The week you quit, THAT’S when!!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I'm in baby!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

What are you known for?

In other places on the net I run a website dealing with women's issues that has received international media attention. I've done interviews with outlets as varied as Glamour and Al Jazeera, and my site's been mentioned on CNN.

Richmond has played a big role in American history, but probably the biggest role was that it was the capital of the Confederate States during the American Civil War. It is probably the only place in America where it could be believed that the South won that war. My neighborhood is a national historic district; I live five blocks from the church where Patrick Henry gave his "give me liberty or give me death!" speech that helped spark the American Revolution. Also Daniel Day-Lewis lived three blocks from me when parts of "Lincoln" were being filmed here. He's tall.

I've toyed with the idea of becoming a writer. Now that it's easy to self-publish, maybe one day I'll bite the bullet.

What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic?

I'm very strong and independent. I did a lot of stupid things in my twenties that put me way behind the eight ball, but I worked hard and have created a great life for myself. I don't want a physical addiction taking away all that hard work!

My name's not really Mandalay. Also, I'm a smarta$$.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

What are you known for?

Some people know me for my literary criticism; others for being that shy vegan girl who does cartwheels. I am both of these people

I'll be vague here and say a big pointy mountain and some castles.

I really need to get around to finally writing my magnum opus. But I'd also like to be known as that nice hippy lady who takes in all animals in need and even has a donkey called Graham

I've somehow managed to retain a very childlike quality, and this helps me a lot: despite having a PhD and having cut my teeth on some fabulously nihilistic philosophy, I'm capable of being cheered up by a bit of Lego, doing a handstand, or watching Annie. My husband finds this bemusing.

The book that best describes my childhood is Dickens's The Old Curiosity Shop. Which is both disturbing and faintly ridiculous.

Have a good weekend everybody! Wear sunscreen!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

In

Too pressed for time to answer the questions.

My girlfriend is coming for the weekend. We are going to see Guns N Roses Saturday night.
Long live Rock n Roll, LOL

Looking forward to a great weekend of sobriety
Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
nmd

What are you known for?
Leaving alcohol aside, I think I'm a pretty good cook and I'm generally a very easy going person who gets alone with most anyone.

Unfortunately, snow. lol. Chicken wings, beer and The Buffalo Bills football team.

sober. :-) I don't want to be known for drunken behavior, brewing or anything else related to alcohol any more.

my children and hobbies, not that it has always stopped me from drinking but it provides many sober opportunities, reasons to stay sober and breaks away from people drinking.

I guess as a guy and living in a football town, people are surprised I have zero interest in professional sports. I don't know the cities teams are from, player names, the rules of the games, etc. I maybe watch one football game a year. I love tailgating food though: ribs, wings, and all that unhealthy stuff. :-)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ktwsober View Post
In Too pressed for time to answer the questions. My girlfriend is coming for the weekend. We are going to see Guns N Roses Saturday night. Long live Rock n Roll, LOL Looking forward to a great weekend of sobriety
ktw I saw GNR a couple of years ago in London. I hope the show you go to is better than the one I saw.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by MandalayVA View Post

My name's not really Mandalay. Also, I'm a smarta$$.
Every time I see your username I think of "Art Vandelay" from Seinfeld. The architect, importer-exporter.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
pray for strength

What a fabulous morning read! Weasel, your thread reads like a great morning SR newspaper as well as a tell-all tabloid Brilliant!

Cowgirlie - welcome to the forum and to the very best bunch of people you could spend time with during your sober journey. No matter the weather outside in your sunny Mediterranean spot (lucky you!!) your new friends are always here

Non - Poor Mrs. Non! The time stamp on your message suggests that she is a true sport and traveling companion. A tanker of coffee would be in order for an out of town wake up that early. And a Friday night fish fry suggests that you are in the Midwest! How fun!!

Fun to read all the car posts. I secretly love cars. My brother has a 'zinger' of a Volkswagon. It zings when you drive, has the golf ball stick shift (like the one in your pic Lunar). mega powerful, music, windows rolled down...my idea of a drive.

Lunar...the car shop in your transmission photo has cleaner floors than mine. Is that your house? or shop?

Ruby, as usual you make me laugh, you make me cry. Nice potted plant pics today.

What a fascinating bunch here on SR! Thanks Charlessavedme...National Doughnut Day...i'll take 2 glazed doughnuts please.

Jupiters - living in 'college' towns keep the ordinary pretty exciting, don't you think? What is 'coronation' like...if you read this, I would love to read what it is like for you. I've never read anything about this.

Dr. Snow in the house! Your mention of 'Annie' brings a huge smile to my face.

Mandalay - Richmond is a fabulous place. Been there many times when I was a kid and loved it. Your website sounds like an extremely valuable place.

Bigsombrero - I NEVER would have imagined that you do not have any hair on your head. What an adventure your life is!

Oldselfagain - glad your in for this super weekend

Fandy and Gilmer - a 'crossover' sounds like the perfect pet. Gilmer...thinking about plastic globes makes me smile too. Great memories.

KTWSober - come back soon and give us the dish! Lucky you!! Guns N Roses. How fun. Please remember to write all about it so we can live vicariously

Seriously fascinating reads you all...really look forward to reading all the updates. We are headed into our 3rd!!! sick house weekend and I am going stir crazy. Breath of fresh air to come here. Many thanks to you all.

Weasel, you with your 'Quacking' cat just completes the picture for me now.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey KTWSober... no need to answer the questions but glad you joined. Enjoy the show!

NMD... LOL I think the same!!! Art Vandelay! And not a sports fan here... I don't get the excitement of it but if anything I follow baseball most.

Good to have Lizella and Old self on board!!!!

SnowB.... Love it! Wear sunscreen!

Mandalay... that some accomplishment! I find that there are a lot of overachiever alcoholics. Well... underachievers too but there is something about the personalities of addiction I find interesting. That one reason I posted these questions.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cowgirlie View Post
Oh you can’t make it up! My colleague has just given me a 1l bottle of white wine from his home country, after returning back from holiday!

I literally have a bottle of wine sat beaming at me on my desk right now!

The funny/good news is that I feel OK about this! Not panicked, just mildly disappointed that I won’t get to taste it and will have to tell a little lie on Monday that it was lovely lol.

Dunno, think I am just a bit amused/bemused at the irony of the situation! Like, when does anyone *ever* just hand you a free bottle of wine?? The week you quit, THAT’S when!!!!!
I quit December 17 - not known to family. I received almost 10 bottles of wine for the holidays. Immediately re-gifted them all. Plus gave away a couple cases of high end beer that week that were meant for ME!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I realize that when using the hand held that the space bar and the 'N' seem to be interchangeable.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

What are you known for?

Being able to solve difficult problems or finding solutions to circumstances that seem to have no answer.
And being a procrastinator.

The place I live is known for nobody ever of heard of it before. Even people who live within 20 miles. hahahaha - true.
The place I grew up is known for America's oldest brewery. Too easy a clue.

A great humanitarian. Too late to be a rock star.

I have been to hell and back more than once in my life. This is just another "bump" on the road, or a detour if you like.

I can't tell you exactly because I'd have to kill you.
But, I have been thinking about this for a while. I'd like to produce a broadway musical based on two old musical pieces that would combine the two into a great story and musical production. Design the sets etc. Adapt the two albums into a story line - fictional of course. It would make Tommy look like a kids play.

And, I always wanted to be a broadway performer, singer,dancer type.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I can't tell you exactly because I'd have to kill you.
But, I have been thinking about this for a while. I'd like to produce a Broadway musical...
'Brain, James Brain. 007'...now on Broadway

Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
I see there is no chat about bacon yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgGo5dNgeg
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

I used my power of subliminal suggestion to get my boss to let us leave early today. It is the generic ‘ideal’ weather out, so I will only be working two thirds of the day. If I am smart, I will get home and do a bit of straightening up so that I am not bothered by housework for the rest of the weekend.
Chicken out of the freezer….still unsure of the plans for it.
I am supposed to do a painting. Gardening is on the schedule. And it is garage sale season, so I am sure I will be out perusing others cast-offs.

I guess I haven't answered the questions yet. I will try to work on that this weekend as well!

Hope everyone is doing well!!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Morning Weekenders
Chicken out of the freezer….still unsure of the plans for it.
And it is garage sale season, so I am sure I will be out perusing others cast-offs.
I recommend cooking and eating the chicken.
You made me think of something I joked about yesterday. I was in a gated community of high end homes surrounding a golf course. As we were making our way through one section, someone was having a garagge sale. I'm thinking to myself, who has a garage sale in a place like this?
There was a canoe at the end of the driveway though.

Olive, I think this was the place for you. Lot's of treasures to be had. As we passed I saw rows of vases and glass wares of different colors. Who knows what else. Lots of curios and such. Lots of expensive 'junk' for almost free.