Notices

Whee!Kender Thread! 6/5-6-8

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Mags, I figured that most UK cars are manual. My cousin now lives outside of London and had to qualify to drive manual. And she isn't an alcoholic. And she has no cats either. When she moved out of London her cat decided to stay and adopted the new family. A turncoat cat.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Charlee, you can be an honorary manual driver . Have a great trip. Please post pictures.

Brain, you must be exhausted. That is a very long day.

I'm working tomorrow then the usual meeting. Saturday is little league baseball and Sunday is a "mother & son extravaganza" for my kid's school. Daddies and daughters have a dance. Mothers and sons have extravaganzas. This year it is a trip to an activity center with wall climbing, bumper cars, video games, etc., etc. everything to delight an eight year old boy. It should be fun. I will treasure these few years in which my son still wants to do things with me and isn't embarrassed to be seen with me.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

another weekend already? awesome thread! will answer questions tomorrow.

have to say, though, MANUAL trans! i even hate when my wife's car decides to shift! control issues much!?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Ruby - I love those lamps. I just had a wonderful flashback to my grandparent's house and the lamp they had on their big console TV in their basement. It wasn't exactly like yours, but close enough to remind me and make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

did it have flamingoes Charlee? The mention of console televisions made me think of my grandparents house. My grandfather kept their old one for some reason. He displays photos on it. I don't think it works.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Manual here

Hubby qualified in an automatic and they didn't make him test again in a manual when he moved over here!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I bought a brand new sport beetle with a manual tans.... I loved the power. I would screech my tires just pulling from a light. I am a fast hard driver.

Now I got a new job here and make more money so I thought I would step up fancy. Got a sport VW CC with what they call DSG transmission. Supposed to be in all the high end cars.

It sucks!!!!! It is not responsive as a regular manual transmission. I can drop it into S for sport mode and I can beat many other cars off the line but it's not fun to drive like my beetle was. It is however luxury and I smile when I get in it and smile while I cruise in it.

Oh... I have cats. Yes... A middle aged man living alone with his cats and his luxury car trying to stay sober everyday. Yup. That about sums it up.

Off to work! The. Busy weekend if I can find stuff to do. I have dreams of that sausage sandwich from the festival this weekend!

K
Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Up and at'em! Woke up in a hotel this morning. Typing on the public computer in the business center. Been up for about an hour. Have about 7-8 hours of driving to do today to get to my hometown. We left yesterday and stopped in college town to pick up a son.

The boy says he is taking me to the best breakfast in town this morning. Looking forward to seeing what this town has to offer - I woke up hungry!

Fish fry tonight at Papa Non's house. The Old Man has been talking about this fish fry for 3 weeks, so I think he is excited about it.

Time to go pry Mrs. Non out from under the blankets and get this show on the road. Have a great sober day SR!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Morning all!

Ruby - no flamingos, sorry. It had green fern things.

Since I'm heading back to my hometown in PA this weekend, I always have to have some type of food that I can't get in NC. Often that's pizza or something like that. It's very hard to find good NY style pizza. Forget about finding a good Stromboli anywhere south of the mason dixon line. Now that it's summer, I also think that some ice cream might be necessary too.

Oh, and today is national Doughnut Day. We must all have doughnuts in honor of LeVerte!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ruby, I used to really envy my older cousin. Her parents drove to a lot of differentg places on vacation, and she had a big collection of plastic snowglobes! I wished I had one just like it! I myself only had two snowglobes.

They were semi-circular plastic globes with a blue or black backdrop with scenes of vacation places , water inside, and tiny white plastic "snow" that you could shake up and it would fall on the scene.

Now they have been upgraded to glass spheres with glitter snow that people put in their living room curio cabinets.

I liked the plastic ones better!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I have always had cats and a dog....and now a snazzy new crossover to fill with shopping stuff.

happy Friday! be safe and keep posting!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

"Crossover" in that sentence sounds like a cat-dog hybrid, Fandy!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi all, can I join you?

British, manual, only owned cats so I think I qualify for the thread lol

What are you known for?
Taking risks! And being very talkative!

What is the place you live known for?
Would rather not say as it would pin-point me too clearly on the map, but I'm in the Mediterranean so lets just say sunshine

What do you want to be known for but no one knows yet?
I want to make and star in my own music video one day!

What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic?
That I have succeeded at most things I have set out to achieve (and some things I didn't), so I KNOW I can make this work if I really fully commit. I draw on memories of when I was younger and alcohol played less a part of my life, and I was slimmer and fitter. Also I look to my kids everyday to remind me that I have responsibilities now and I can't afford to be too selfish. Just because my husband remains sober every night, it is not OK for me to get drunk when they are asleep.

Maybe share something that we would be surprised to know
It's my birthday soon and my best present to myself would be sobriety - Day 6 now

Nice thread, by the way! x
Old 06-06-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Gilmer.... I have a puppy-cat! Henry follows me everywhere. He jumps down and greets me at the door everyday. I can play fetch with a ball of paper. And when he wants something he looks at me an quacks... Not really a meow but more a "common dad!"
Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Wellcome cowgirlie!!

Congrats on day 6. I liked your answers. Drinking is a very selfish thing to do. Huh?

Glad you joined in! Stick around for the weekend!

Ken
Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Cowgirlie! Welcome and join us. We can do it.

I thought that I had a cat-dog last night. Cats followed me everywhere around the house. I think they were hungry.

Went to bed and just as I settled in I heard a screech and a BAM. Another car accident in front of my house. Police car, fire truck, ambulance. I don't think anyone was seriously hurt but let's be cautious in our road trips!

I'm thinking of taking one with the kids this summer now that I have the snazzy newish car. No fears that it will randomly break down on the side of the road. And the kids can get plastic snow globes which I too prefer to the glass curio cabinet variety.

Update on the pots. Doing well and starting to fill out. Some still remain to be planted. Here is some greenery for your morning.

Time to start the day.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Wellcome cowgirlie!!

Congrats on day 6. I liked your answers. Drinking is a very selfish thing to do. Huh?

Glad you joined in! Stick around for the weekend!

Ken
HA! Thanks - I forgot to mention the wheeee!kend!!

Got a family visitor here so it would be soooo easy to drink in the evenings but so far I have avoided it. Taking the kids out for a family fun day somewhere tomorrow (TBC) and going for a run, then working Sunday morning... think my biggest challenges will be watching reality TV contest Sat night (as I always have wine) and if we have a BBQ Sunday afternoon. Because by then I will be reaching my 1 week sober limit so be getting a bit twitchy. Expect to see a lot more of me here then! I do feel pretty prepared tho, and in a really good mindset so fingers crossed I'll be really happy to make it to double figures as my first achievement (10 days) xx
Old 06-06-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Cowgirlie, come early, come often if you start feeling the twitch. I know this sounds drastic but maybe skip the reality tv contest for just this week. Can you record it and watch it later? I had programs I would hunker down to watch, wine in hand. I found that when I watched them again sober they weren't half so entertaining.

I just reread Non's post 'woke up in a hotel this morning" and it just struck me as funny. The beginning of an off color joke. Thanks for the smile

On a more somber note, I just dropped the kids at school and the radio station is running tributes and remembrances of DDay. Listening to the now very old men recount their experiences. It made me tear up. A bunch of young guys who probably had never been too far from home, not knowing when or if they would ever see that home again, stepping off a boat into cold ocean water amid flying bullets to make an impossible climb up a cliff. And yet they did it. Many didn't return. But many did and they lived their lives. We have much to be grateful for. We can do this thing too!

Time to get ready for work.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Count me in for another weekend, please!

As far as a manual transmission,
you haven't driven one unless it was
an M22 Muncie "Rockcrusher", in a GM muscle car.

Have a Great Weekend!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Let's have a "Getting to know you!" weekend party! A mixer of the better kind!

What are you known for?
I'm outgoing and can chat with pretty much anyone. Sagittarius through and through.

What is the place you live known for?
2 big Universities here.
and the worlds 2nd largest Oktoberfest. HAHAH ironic.

What do you want to be known for but no one knows yet?
This one is still a work in progress as I'm in early days of finding myself. But I want to be known as someone my family/friends/work can count on. A person who if they were asked, they would say "she's a stand-up gal who has your back no matter what"

What positive things do you draw on in your life that helps you manage being an alcoholic?
The support system I have implemented around me. A TON of reading. And this board now

Maybe share something that we would be surprised to know!
I lived in Switzerland for 4 years and started my own cleaning business that was quite successful!
I am a HUGE Coronation Street fan.

Ken
good questions!!