Notices

Give a little, take a little - sober weekend 3/14-16

Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Rose, I am not sure if I could handle having alcohol in my house yet, So I am sending positive energy your way for the weekend. I don't care if my husband drinks outside of the house, though.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekend. Got to make this one successful. Will alternate time at work with time on the treadmill, riding the bike, and swimming laps.

Hope to knock off a few pounds the next week.

Had a scare yesterday, woke up feeling horrible, hungover, but couldn't figure out why. Check my car and found an opened bottle of scotch in the trunk. Scary part, I didn't remember even buying it. I poured out the remains and spent all yesterday feeling awful, sick, guilty and remorseful.

Ugggg..........
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrickyDave View Post
I'm in for the weekend. Got to make this one successful. Will alternate time at work with time on the treadmill, riding the bike, and swimming laps.

Had a scare yesterday, woke up feeling horrible, hungover, but couldn't figure out why. Check my car and found an opened bottle of scotch in the trunk. Scary part, I didn't remember even buying it. I poured out the remains and spent all yesterday feeling awful, sick, guilty and remorseful.

Ugggg..........
Nice! Me too, but the weather has finally improved enough that I can ditch the treadmill.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
SeaScape

I'm here Trying to keep my chin up as I finish my school work and look for a job. I will be staying close to home this weekend, watching movies and baking cupcakes.
I will be really happy to have a job someday soon - b/c it will give me some purpose and income - i look forward to that very much! staying positive...
Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Great post and appreciate it! I've got plans to go see a hockey game tonight which should be fun. It's been awhile but I've done 1st Friday before so I know I can do it. Sunday does seem so far away and I gotta admit that I will miss the buzz but then I think. Where will that go? Nowhere good and a hangover probably flaking on friends again because of my alcoholism. No sobriety is the better way for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Im attending a mandatory wine tasting for my work this sunday.

My coworker wants to get a drink afterwards. I said no I have other plans but she keeps asking me.

I know I am going to want a drink for sure. especially because Sunday's are huge triggers for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm sorry this weekend is going to be tough for you, Jade. Does anyone at work know that you're staying sober? If not, maybe you can tell them, or make up an excuse, i.e. you're on meds that you can't drink with, you gave it up for Lent, etc. I know it's another lie, but, in my opinion, we newbies need a little time. I'm sorry if others might not agree with me, but I think that your getting through this challenging weekend is more important.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Jade ,
That sounds like quite a tough ask , a mandatory wine tasting …
I think i'd have to find a new job or tell people it runs counter to my Buddhist beliefs .

bestwishes, m
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Its not mandatory to drink just mandatory to attend. But all my coworkers drink except one who is a recovering alcoholic.

I feel like most people drink... except the sober ones who used to drink. Have y'all ever met anyone who didn't drink just because they didn't like it or never tried it?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Jade,

In the places they make the booze, the tasters all "taste and spit." Sounds kinda gross in a social situation, but might be a way out.

You could say that you're a former professional taster...
Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Jade,

My wife of 25 years has never had a drink in that time. She doesn't like the taste or the way it makes her feel. She never has a problem in a social situation and will always have a water or iced tea.

No one bats and eye or ever questions her.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yeah I dont feel awkward if I tell people I dont drink.

Its weird because sometimes I can go to a bar and not have a drink at night.

But during the day i can't be around drinkers. I used to love happy hour. Daytime is my trigger because I would drink and then sober up in time to sleep. Its hard to feel anxiety in the warm sunshine.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Jade ,
At the beginning i told people i was trying an alcohol free lifestyle out to see if it improved the quality of my sleep . Now as i've gone on i notice very few people actually notice or care what i drink , especially after they have had a couple themselves .

I drive everywhere these days and it seems socially acceptable to refuse because of driving .

Stay strong

m
Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Jade... That would have been to much for me when I first stopped drinking. Hope you stay strong. Let us know.

Hey comtnman740! Welcome to SR and the weekender thread. That's a good way to think. Thinking through it to the next step has helped me a million times!

Hey M... *ring ring*! Can you remind us all again of what each ring means? I love that and think its helpful.

Back from working out and getting some things for the house. Walked almost 7 miles so far today. Got on the scale and down almost a full 10 lbs. so happy with the results. 15 more to go.

Ken
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Happy Friday!

Great to see so many people here! It's gonna be another fabulous weekend!

Weasel, congrats on your weight loss!

Jade, we're here for you!

Friday is tough day; it's my trigger day. I'm used to coming home from work, stopping at the store and picking up a big bottle of vodka for the weekend. Since I slept through the AA meeting I was going to go to this morning, I think I'm going to hit one this evening.

It's so great reading all the supportive posts here. Welcome, newbies!

If this is your first sober weekend, stay strong! We are all here for you!

/hugs
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by TrickyDave View Post

Ugggg..........
Dave, you did great by having the strength to dump out the scotch!

Be proud of your actions, not awful!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Count me in. Fridays were never a big trigger for me. I played no favorites, I drank every day of the week.

I am planning to take a long bicycle ride tomorrow if the rain goes away as it is supposed to. I also need to change the oil in the cars and work on the lawn mower. At nearly 8 days in I am actually getting stuff done. It's been a long time.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

*ring ring*

The first ring is the bell of mindfulness calling to you , stop , you are alive , what are you doing right now ? be aware , un-tense those shoulders , breath fresh and deep , take a step back from the wall your banging your head against .

The second ring is that of the freedom bell , i'm ringing out for you , freedom is available to you in the here and now , free yourself from bondage , drop those ideas and attitudes that keep you stuck . Freedom is here, it's scary but its glorious . Take the leap of faith you won't regret it I haven't ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-14-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend. Staying busy and active is the key for me. I have some exercise planned, so I can take off a few of the pounds I put
On sine I stopped drinking. Get ready for the work week. Play some music with friends on Sunday afternoon. We're going into the studio in June and have some work to do. Staying busy staying busy. At night, plenty of hot tea.
Have a good clean weekend eveeryone
Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey jade12, I actually know one person who has never had a drink in his life. He says he just never even wanted to start. Also, I heard that Gene Simmons has never had a drink, but I cannot confirm that.