Notices

It's never too late to hit a new low...

Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Gator girl thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

There is a lot of love in this thread...and that is absolutely wonderful. Not all that long ago, I had a thought about addiction that I jotted down in a sobriety journal. It still comes to mind often and that is "addiction" is a state of un-love. It was reaffirmed when I recently read that the chemistry of addiction roosts in the same part of the brain where love should.

I have nothing but blessings and hope for you Raider but I have largely tried to avoid this thread (which is difficult at times). I will tell you why and I do hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers as it is only my personal issue. I know you are lined up for rehab..and that's fantastic..but I guess I've had to avoid it because something gets "tweaked" inside me when someone is still drinking and waiting on the illusive tomorrow. Forgive me, it's my "stuff" and I own it. I only say this because I'm hoping that support is balanced enough to allow more than "you go girl..we love you..." and that maybe we can be honest enough to muse on possible truths not so easily digestible.

I dunno...sometimes I just hope "Newcomer's" or not we can offer our honest perceptions or fears about what is or could be going on. I know I welcome balance in the perspectives offered to me. I may not like them, I may discount them or maybe they will get at the truth of something I'm not admitting to myself..let alone anyone else.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I dunno...sometimes I just hope "Newcomer's" or not we can offer our honest perceptions or fears about what is or could be going on. I know I welcome balance in the perspectives offered to me. I may not like them, I may discount them or maybe they will get at the truth of something I'm not admitting to myself..let alone anyone else.
I think your position is reasonable, and I confess to being in the cheerleader category while at the same time wondering if Raider will EVER check into rehab. The way I see it though, if we chase her away with tough love her chances of going to rehab are even lower.

So, you go girl!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

NuuDawn, of course I want your honest opinion. I have been wondering why you haven't posted. I kind of thought you weren't because you might have thought I wouldn't like what you had to say. Not true GF. I got myself in a bit of a pickle here. Should have made some different choices over the past month ( probably longer than that). But I am where I am, and I will sort through it. Sooner better than later. Please don't hold back on your posts. I love them.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I am by no means condoning chasing anyone away or being mean spirited or abrasive. As I say..I have largely avoided it because well...lol...sometimes alternate perspectives could just well...lie there rather than be rebutted.

LOL..I think I'm in over my head. Just a nigglin' something something I had to say. Bright blessings to you Raider.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
EndGame

...I'm hoping that support is balanced enough to allow more than "you go girl..we love you..." and that maybe we can be honest enough to muse on possible truths not so easily digestible.

We often have to suffer well meaning but unhelpful people in life. Incessant cheerleading often turns to enabling which, in turn, is ultimately more harmful than being straightforward about what's going on. "Why should I do anything as long as people love me unconditionally, no matter what I do?"

The issue you raise is a fine line around which some of us seem oblivious and still others stomp all over carelessly with no obvious insight to the harm they do. No one -- me included -- is immune to failing at being skillful and wise around knowing when to continue giving outright support and when to be honest in the service of helping someone through their suffering. It doesn't always have to be one or the other. But if someone continues to suffer, or get worse, in response to unbridled support, something needs to change. This "something" never includes abusing someone's fragility.

Giving support is a great thing, but it doesn't always come wrapped as a Christmas present. More important, to me, is bearing in mind that we're talking about a potentially fatal condition that kills tens of thousands of people each year. Among the millions who survive, the majority continue to kill themselves slowly in every possible way while destroying all that's good in their lives.

As long as your heart's in the right place, you can sleep easily at night.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I kind of thought you weren't because you might have thought I wouldn't like what you had to say. Not true GF.
Awww...that made my heart smile.

No one wants your sweet soul outta that pickle as much as me. Okay..that's a figure of speech. Lots and lots here want you outta that damn pickle as much as me : )
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Administrator

tough love is fine....so long as we remember the love bit

D
Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
We often have to suffer well meaning but unhelpful people in life. Incessant cheerleading often turns to enabling which, in turn, is ultimately more harmful than being straightforward about what's going on. "Why should I do anything as long as people love me unconditionally, no matter what I do?"

The issue you raise is a fine line around which some of us seem oblivious and still others stomp all over carelessly with no obvious insight to the harm they do. No one -- me included -- is immune to failing at being skillful and wise around knowing when to continue giving outright support and when to be honest in the service of helping someone through their suffering. If someone continues to suffer, or get worse, in response to unbridled support, something different needs to change. This "something" never includes abusing someone's fragility.

Giving support is a great thing, but it doesn't always come wrapped as a Christmas present. More important, to me, is bearing in mind that we're talking about a potentially fatal condition that kills tens of thousands of people each year. Among the millions who survive, the majority continue to kill themselves slowly in every possible way while destroying all that's good in their lives.

As long as your heart's in the right place, you can sleep easily at night.
Well said..as usual (see I can do that too my friend).

Ya..it's that damn fine line.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
EndGame

Well said..as usual (see I can do that too my friend).

Ya..it's that damn fine line.
I'm happy you raised the issue. Better it's out in the open than you, me and everyone else acts out on our frustration with not being able to help someone here.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
tough love is fine....so long as we remember the love bit

D
Also who it comes from. There are people on this board I would respect if they laid it out for me. Others it would make me defensive and chase me away. That kind of credibility takes time. Everything scared me a first. Obviously Nuu you have that .
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think tough love needs a relationship to work, yeah. Something I hear from a mate is a whole different thing to something some stranger yells at me in the street.

It might be no less true but my reaction is likely to be different

It's sometimes easy to forget that here, I think

D
Old 09-27-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I think tough love needs a relationship to work, yeah. Something I hear from a mate is a whole different thing to something some stranger yells at me in the street.

D
I'm sorry I just laughed out loud (stil tittering as I type this actually) about some stranger yelling at Floyd in the street. I guess I could see the muppet reaction.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
EndGame

D
Another good insight. Context is everything in a world that relies largely on text interpretation to communicate. I've had regrets on more than one occasion when I've prematurely commented without knowing enough about the OP.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry to hijack things Raider but this seemed as good a place as any

how are you going today?

D
Old 09-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
EndGame

sorry to hijack things Raider but this seemed as good a place as any

how are you going today?

D
Yeah Raider. Stay connected. Lots of us are obviously concerned.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Good. And love reading these posts! I'll go back and read these all again tomorrow. Thanks very much.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Love you people. Turn on the iPad and connect to the SR neighborhood. I won't go away. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Thank you Raider for sharing your honest struggles - I view SR as a place where we can be honest. Getting sober is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. Please be careful and safe if you do drink and keep a cell phone close by in case you need to go to hospital or whatever.