Notices

No more lurking, I can't do this alone.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

It does get better. try and drink lots of water/lucozade and eat something-maybe soup. Bed is a good idea. Best wishes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

The HALT thing (hungry..angry...lonely..tired) was a real lightbulb moment for me.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hi Mrs. Lamp,

Things sound rough but hang in there it does get better, treat yourself as you would a beloved invalid, hot water bottles, warm pajamas something good to watch or read whatever gives you comfort and start thinking about a program of recovery.
It may be difficult to imagine now but think of being free from the burden of alcohol, the worrying about what it is doing to your health, the depression, the fear. This will all go if you stop drinking.
Take care
Love
CaiHong
Old 12-24-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Day 3 is greart. Yes, it really does get better.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi Mrs Lamp.
Over recent times I would drink 5 wines between 6 & 7.30 every night; much heavier in older days.
Now at the 6 o'clock slot I go small packs of fruit topped with Greek yoghourt.
Fun... no liver etc probbies/ no hangover etc.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, thank you all so much, it's nearly midnight now and I am up again, slept for about an hour, the sweat is dripping off me, sorry gross, and I feel so emotional. All the horrible things going on in the world and I am moaning about drink. I'm lucky to have held .on to my job and I have lovely kids who I will see later tomorrow. Mulch if you drop by again, thanks I did eventually put a tree up, and Foodie you asked how it went helping family. I wasn't fit to go out or drive yesterday but I did and took a funny turn in the shops and thought I was going to pass out but hid it from them. All smiles.

I have got to keep in mind how horrible I have been feeling. Its after midnight now I hope all you lovely people have a great Christmas. Thanks to you its Day 3. xxx I hope some day I am of help to others here.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
AA member

Well done on day 2,Mrslamp,I remember well the sweating and also the nearly passing out.It is hard to get through the first few days but they soon pass.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas Day..
Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Looking good. keep up the great work. Great to hear your doing so well. Merry christmas. I'll be here for a while if you need to chat.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hi thanks people yes I am going to stay here a while, this is really helping I feel a good bit calmer now than I did 30 mins ago. Please tell me how you got on, I think what I'm panicking about is dealing with feelings, I've blotted everything out for so long and just got through the day, there is so much stuff to deal with. x
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day 3 - that's wonderful. You'll be over the worst of it soon. I always wish I'd kept a journal of how it was in those early days. I never wanted the memory to grow dim.

You'll be starting your new year off right, MrsLamp. We are proud of you.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to the first week which was tough for all of us. Congrats on making the decision to get sober. And posting on SR gives you that journal to read over later like I have from my early days. I used in hospital detox, a few days of rehab, counseling, family and friends support, and AA and here on SR all at the beginning and in combination it all worked! I dropped AA actively after three months and am grateful my wonderful home group was there to help me get sober along with all the great folks here. Keep posting, keep reading, we can get through this together where alone it never was possible for me. Together it worked, trust me, I know.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Mrs. Lamp: You have my deepest admiration and respect. Very gutsy, very brave. Hang in there. Remember, each day that goes by, each hour that goes by, that is a day and an hour which, if you stay sober, you will never ever have to repeat. You will never have to go through this again. And gradually the sun will begin to shine into your life. You will get yourself back. Don't touch booze, don't come anywhere near it and hang in there. But remember, if things get really horrible, it's best to seek medical help right away. If it goes the way it went for me, after the third day I suddenly was able to fall into a deep sleep and the feeling of release was almost miraculous. I can only say how it was for me. It could be different for everybody. I hope and pray that you get past the very unpleasant stuff very soon. Don't drink. If you do you'll have to go through this all over again. Every good wish.

W.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

ms lamp, i just read 112 posts by you and our friends here at sr. everyone is pulling for you. we know you can do it. stay focused on the moment and take care of your self. soon you will have one of the best nights of sleep you've ever had. take it easy and drink plenty of fluids. i want to read more about your success in the upcoming days. good luck and keep posting
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm so glad you're here and have decided to get sober. I spent the first week not doing much (except reading here). That's about all I could handle. If you do absolutely nothing but stay sober for that day, call it a victory. Take it minute by minute if you have to and if you're tired, rest (also it helps not to let yourself get too hungry). In other words, be really good to yourself.

Better days are just ahead - hang in there!:ghug3
Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Mrs. lamp,
Gret you are still hanging in there. As PainterW quite rightly points out if you hang in there, don't pick up a drink you won't have to go through this again. Those thoughts certainly stopped me from picking up earlier on. Each day is a huge achievement, I am not exaggerating when I say this. Keep on posting,we all want to see you get through this and be the person you really are.
Love
CaiHong
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Every hour, every minute you go without alcohol, those saturated brain cells are going to dry out and stop screaming for a drink.

Things will get clearer. Soon you will sleep better. The sweats will get less as the toxins are depleted.

Keep going, keep moving forward.
One drink and you will be back...

Just imagine how proud you are going to be when you can say 'I did it - I had a sober Christmas'.
What an absolute achievement that will be.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much, I am in tears. I'ts bout 5.55am now up again but I got another couple hours sleep, weird dreams and I soon as I awoke I had to get up, tea and cig. My mouth is rotten now but I think the cigs will be used for a while and I will worry about that later. Merry Christmas to you all! I am very tired and still sweating. Who needs a sauna, not that I ever had one but it must be something like this.

I opened the back door and stood to have a smoke (much to the poor dogs bemusement I think he is wondering what the heck is going on me up and down the stairs at all hours) anyway the birds were singing and I'm not hungover! Thats something! I cannot think of a word for it but its something. Truth be told last night was very difficult.

Around drinking time I went upstairs and after pacing a bit the words came out of my mouth to other half "have you any drink stashed?" he said no and I hated him, he flew to shops I said it's no use they are all shut, and he said I'll try, course he came back and said "you were right" My heart sank. Thank God they were shut and there is nowhere to get drink today. As you can see we don't talk much but he is obviously more insightful than I gave him credit for and hurting just the same. He would always have drink in the house especially the excuse no 10.000 that is Christmas.

Please stay with me over this and a million thanks for being here. xxxx
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Good morning mrs lamp. You and hubby are where I was 7 months ago. Me and my H were daily drinkers, married 22 years.
This is our first sober Christmas.
It is worth the struggle, believe me.
Good luck to you xxx
Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

So good to hear Mrs.L When you look back, this will be the best Christmas gift you never asked for. Sometimes you have to look for the small things that are handed to you or taken away in this matter. I'm so happy the shops were closed. Do be mindful of the pink cloud syndrome. Stay Strong you can do this!! Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for replies, I'm realizing there must be so many more couples like us and it really helps. I am going to be aware of the pink cloud thing, thank you. I'm very tired. I'm just back from the cemetery where I tidied up my Parents grave and put nice flowers on, if that shop was open last night I would still be in bed (its just after 10 am now) nursing a migraine. I went to the chemist yesterday to pick my migraine pills up and never bought flowers, I asked my other half to get some when he went to shop. See where my priorities were? Anyway that's how I thought he had maybe bought some drink when he was out and was devastated when he said no. I am so glad. I feel very sad and cried buckets at the grave it's as if tons of feelings all want to drown me at the same time. I'm not very religious but I told Maw and Paw what I was doing and somehow I hope maybe they heard. Day 3 at a Christmas time. I am going to be as strong as I can and get through this day sober. Thanks to SR I have managed this far. Hope you all have a lovely day. xxxx