Notices

No more lurking, I can't do this alone.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi, it's two in the morning, thank you all so much. I am sober I went to bed sober. I am exhausted but I got couple hours sleep, I took advice and did things differently, went to visit my youngest, and came home straight to bed and not the drinking chair. I listened to relaxation cd which helped a wee bit, but I had to keep opening my eyes as horrible images kept coming. Eventually dropped off but wakened sweating and feeling very scared. That's why I logged on again. I cannot settle. Got work in five hours. I'm very anxious. xx
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

MrsLamp - CONGRATULATIONS on trying to sleep sober tonight! It was one of the things that terrified me the most at the beginning of quitting alcohol - the insomnia and racing thoughts. The fact that you did get a couple of hours is proof that you can do it! It takes several days but your sleep will return to normal sans alcohol.

Do your best to not give into the bottle tonight. Just focus on getting through tonight - that's all. Drink a glass of warm milk or have a snack... I found that instead of watching TV (which would keep me up) reading a book really helped my body wind down and get to a place where sleep was at least possible. I occasionally took a benadryl or a melatonin tablet to help also. Much better than alcohol.

Good luck and stay with us!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning MrsL I'm so glad to hear that you went to bed sober!

Tomorrow you may be tired, but at least you wont be in that depressed... 'can't deal with it'.... crap that a hangover makes you believe.

Be proud of yourself, and if you slip just get back up!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi MrsL - I remember seeing and hearing things the first day or two of being sober. I paced a lot and was also very anxious. It's normal. It will all settle down, though. Once you get through this you never have to go back there again.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsLamp View Post
Eventually dropped off but wakened sweating and feeling very scared. That's why I logged on again. I cannot settle. Got work in five hours. I'm very anxious. xx
This is very difficult, but the sweating and anxiety/fear will pass. One day at a time. My recommendation (others can agree/disagree) is to make sure you get to work. It is important in the early stages to be busy so you cannot drop into temptation by being idle.

Try some deep breaths and clear your mind. I sometimes say out loud "everything will be all right, Maples." To myself.

We are with you on this.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I find your story very touching MrsLamp. We are all rooting for you...rooting so hard because we know that there is a way out but at the same time we know just how hard it was to make that leap. I remember years of knowing that alcohol was killing me and I also remember believing that it was my best friend and that I could never live without it.

I quit about a year and a half ago. My life is infinitely better. My job is great. I walk tall and proud and am delighted to embrace each new day.

Quitting is about taking action in a new direction. Seeing a doctor would be a great bit of action. Reading this website is action. Buying some books on alcoholism would be good. Trying out an AA meeting would be action. Checking out some of the other recovery programs is action.

I have faith in your ability to beat this, even if you do not.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Oh...and not drinking is an action too...

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hello, cannot thank you all enough, I went back to bed and I was so cold then too hot, was going to come down again around 5am but fell asleep for around hour and a half, I am up for work. Tired but its great knowing that it's not because of drink. I have to go get ready now. I will be back here asap. xx
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Well done, have a great day at work, stay busy!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

That's just awesome! Have a great day at work!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Mrs. Lamp: Congratulations on getting over the weekend part, which was probably the worst of it. Your next challenge will be tomorrow, Christmas, when I assume you will not be at work. Maybe look at it this way: Your greatest Christmas present is to yourself and this is a 24 hour project not to drink, to be sober whatever it takes. This gets you to Wednesday, Boxing Day. Hopefully this means back to work. If you persist in sobriety, you will probably be feeling a lot better by Friday and ready to face the weekend. Then another big project, not to drink. Do it each day one day at a time. You will eventually feel a lot better. But then, watch out for the "pink cloud"! That's when you're most vulnerable to thinking that you can have "just one" and get away with it. If you give in to that it's a ticket to deep depression. You can do it! You can keep sober! Good luck!

W.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Great news Mrs. Lamp, i hope you have a better day.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

MrsLamp, what a great gift to yourself! Good for you, stay strong.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Keep strong. I am on day 8 and feeling so good.

I was drinking a lot of vodka towards the end. Has taken time for my hands to stop shaking and the fog to lift..but it does.

Post tomomorrow when you need to.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that MrsLamp!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you MrsLamp. It will feel great to get over this hurdle. We know you can.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Proud of you Mrs L!

Well done.

Think how nice it would be to face Christmas Day with a clear head and on your own terms. What a great Christmas gift to yourself...one that you really deserve.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, thanks again for all the support, I'm very tired, the shops are all shut now and there is no drink in the house, my addicted brain is screaming how could I have been so stupid! It's Christmas Eve and you have no drink! I am not happy but I'll go to bed soon,
I'll probably be on here during the night again, I've got to do this. I want a drink. I will try to stop thinking about it now. I smoked cigarettes when I drink never at any other time, I might smoke but I know that will make me dizzy without drink. I have a pain in the side of my neck and I or my addict has convinced me it's sinister and its too late anyway to stop. I'm rambling. I'll try to calm down. I just feel like crying now. xx
Old 12-24-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Just thinking tomorrow will be day 3! I cannot get drink now so I'll make it to day 3! I know you are right it will get better. I don't know what do say now. x
Old 12-24-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hang in there. it does get easier.

Also, make sure you have eaten properly. I find it helps me with cravings.