Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again

Notices

Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again

Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
The more I read I understand what you're talking about Roxy.

This isn't exactly it but is related....reassuring to us who are experiencing these symptoms during recovery, from Huffington Post:

“It turns out that there [is] a whole host of wiring that actually gets worse in the next four to eight weeks.” One of these is cue-induced stress response—people in early recovery are more responsive than non-addicts to stress surrounding people, places, and things that remind them of using. This measurable increase in symptoms of stress is the “physical evidence of craving,” Sack says. Cue-induced stress responses get worse over time and seem to peak between 4 and 8 weeks; the intensity of how much stress addicts feel correlates to relapse, he says. Unfortunately, this peak in stress or craving is typically the time when people leave treatment facilities—“we’re sending people out when this is getting worse.”
The second thing that gets worse is that addicts experience increased impulsivity. Studies have shown that first, addicts continue to make more mistakes than non-addicts when trying to learn how to do things differently, and second, they tend to continue to put less value in future, or distant, rewards, Sack says.
Finally, addicts continue to experience a loss of working memory—they have trouble remembering the things that they’re supposed to do. This is more the case for alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal than for opiates, he says.
The biggest thing Sack’s seen in his patients is increased anxiety. People are “more nervous, more anxious, less resilient; and that anxiety is experienced as fear, as uncertainty, a greater sensitivity to rejection.” Some of this excessive reactivity is linked to the glutamate neurotransmitter system, as many drugs of abuse block glutamate. In response, the body ups its production of this chemical, even after the drug is taken away.
This emotional reactivity can be seen with people who abuse opiates, too, and it can be referred to as hyperalgesia. “When people are on pain meds for a long time, their tolerance for pain and discomfort goes down,” Hazelden’s Lee says. This applies to psychological and emotional pain as well, he says.
Yep, this kind of describes the pink cloud syndrome.

No doubt about it. Alcoholics use alcohol and drugs to numb their senses.

My alcoholism comes in the form of a committee meeting playing inside my head telling me all of the things that can go wrong, what I am going to lose, what I am not going to get and on and on and on and on. That then shifts and manifest into this feeling of impending doom in the pit of my stomach.

Alcohol and drugs are a great solution because they temporarily bring me back into the present, turn down the negative voice inside my head, give my stomach region that ah ha sense of ease and comfort and makes me feel a tad but invincible instead of vulnerable.

Remove alcohol and drugs from us and we are a bundle of raw nerves and emotions without favorite anesthetic to dull them. That is why it is so desparately important to jump head first into the steps and hit a bunch of meetings as soon as possible to combat the raw nerves and emotions we have dulled for so long.

This may also explain why those who have lost all can so easily accept these very basic concepts that are easy on paper, but so difficult to live in real life. When everything is gone, there is less to fear of losing.

The key to me is on oage 62 through 64 of the Big Book. When I am trusting life and my higher power, realize what I am thinking probably isn't true, and not trying to arrange, control, manipulate and manage my life and perceived future events that are probably not real, I have much more peace and less anxiety.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Nice to see that this thread survived for so long and perhaps helped some people.
Also thank you everyone for adding the extra info, especially about the GABA-connectors.
Going into my 5th year of alcohol abstinence today, I would also like to tell that you will be able to feel pleasure and joy again, the first year is the worst.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you Geralt - congrats on starting your five years!

D
Old 10-15-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 5 years Geralt I was thinking of this thread yesterday I always remember the cucumber & pickle jar

Thanks
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Thanks guys, I wrote it a bit unclear: I am starting my fifth year, so officially it's just 4 . But don't worry, 5 is just one year away
Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober since 1st January 2016

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Recently I have read some comments here from new members that want to quit drinking for a couple of months/years and then try to drink responsibly again.

Well, I have to disappoint you (but believe me this is a blessing in disguise), that's not possible for 99% of us.

The cause is the progressive nature of the disease alcoholism and the mechanisms of .

Every withdrawal is worse than the previous one and each time you drink you will need more alcohol for the same effect. There is no way to reverse it, not a couple of months or years.

I wish I had understood this earlier, instead of binge drinking the last decade away. Over the years I forced myself into thinking that my alcohol consumption was a matter of strong will, persistence or control. I had to "master" the art of moderation and become a happy 1-2 drinks person.

But my body had already changed. Due to the effect of tolerance there was no happiness after 1-2 drinks, my nervous system screamed for more. And after that first drink, I was already powerless over alcohol and would drink more, more... till black-out. Good morning shakes, anxiety, thirst and welcome to the effect of kindling. The hangovers became acute withdrawals.

Actually it's quite silly. Someone with diabetes doesn't have an issue of "strong will" with sugar, neither someone with peanut allergy. So why do we keep fooling ourselves that our alcohol consumption is a matter of mind?

Accept that you can't ever drink again and it will be a lot easier.
Absolutely nailed it.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Great post. I have felt so good lately, I forgot what misery frequent binging was. Today I woke up and thought I should have just one night to get wasted to feel "normal". You know, big night with friends kind of thing. Wow. It just creeps up on you. Understanding the binging pattern helps.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Geralt, Roxy and others,

Great OP and additional info from Roxy et al.

I hate that you stole my analogies though -- I use both peanuts and diabetics a lot, and those darn pathways.

Funny isn't it that no matter what you think of AA those dudes got the pathway problem -- maybe didn't id the cause correctly but they got the effect exactly and that it was physical before science ever could have proved it.

Cool really.

Thanks for the great thread.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So I read recently that when you are sober for a given period of time, that when you return to drinking after this sobriety and drink for 3 days at your old usual amount you are back at square one. Then if you drink for more than 4 days you are further behind the 8 ball.

Then you are likely to increase your drinking from your normal usage which at that time the 8 ball becomes distant and you are free falling.

Does kindling also mean that each time after you try and get sober, that your withdrawals or time it takes to feel good again is further out than the previous time.

I seem to remember that after about a week at my first attempt at getting sober I was feeling pretty decent about myself. Then the second time, it took a few more days to get to that good feeling point. Then the third time, again took longer. 4th time even longer still- and I believe I am on that #4 time now. Or maybe it is #5. I cant remember. But I can distinctively remember that I was complaining about how I was feeling this and that on day 6 during the second sober stint and by day 6 the first sober attempt I wasnt.

I even went back and re read every one of my posts to pin point, or try, what I was feeling days 1-10. Each time I would be hungover day 1, and sometimes even day 2. Then the progress that i was making seemed to get further and further out to achieve the same results, the more attempts at sobriety.

Is that what this kindling is talking about????
Old 01-29-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
So I read recently that when you are sober for a given period of time, that when you return to drinking after this sobriety and drink for 3 days at your old usual amount you are back at square one. Then if you drink for more than 4 days you are further behind the 8 ball.

Then you are likely to increase your drinking from your normal usage which at that time the 8 ball becomes distant and you are free falling.

Does kindling also mean that each time after you try and get sober, that your withdrawals or time it takes to feel good again is further out than the previous time.

I seem to remember that after about a week at my first attempt at getting sober I was feeling pretty decent about myself. Then the second time, it took a few more days to get to that good feeling point. Then the third time, again took longer. 4th time even longer still- and I believe I am on that #4 time now. Or maybe it is #5. I cant remember. But I can distinctively remember that I was complaining about how I was feeling this and that on day 6 during the second sober stint and by day 6 the first sober attempt I wasnt.

I even went back and re read every one of my posts to pin point, or try, what I was feeling days 1-10. Each time I would be hungover day 1, and sometimes even day 2. Then the progress that i was making seemed to get further and further out to achieve the same results, the more attempts at sobriety.

Is that what this kindling is talking about????
Not quite sure what you mean by "further out," but if you mean that each time you detox, your withdrawal symptoms get worse and worse and it takes longer each time before you start to feel "normal" again, then yes, that is part of kindling, at least as I understand the term.

I believe the term specifically relates to the sudden development of susceptibility to severe withdrawal complications such as DTs and seizure after multiple detoxes. You can detox a bunch of times without complications, and then BAM!, suddenly your next detox results in seizures, DTs, or even death.

That's the part that makes kindling so scary.

Here's hoping you've gone through your last detox.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yeah "further out" meaning worse off, more time to get back to normal etc.

I am sure my last detox is in the review mirror and getting further and further away each day. Im not drinking again. Havent relapsed. But I read that interesting piece now I wish I could find it again.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Bump.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

That was a great and informative read. Thanks Geralt. Each and every time is worse. No more.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yep... worse each time for me too
Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

What a terrific thread. I've bookmarked it and will go right to it whenever I think about drinking in the future. It's such a relief to know that I will NEVER be able to drink in moderation. My binge drinking ramped up a couple of years ago and this year I knew I would have to stop before damage was done. I always held the idea in my head that I could curb my drinking and be that happy 1-2 drink person. I always pictured myself enjoying one beer on the weekend and that being it. But now I see how ridiculous that vision is for me. The op put it perfectly when he said our nervous system screams out for more. I really don't have any interest in 1-2 drinks 95% of the time and my body and mind will not allow it.

Couple that with the fact that hangovers/withdrawals now last days with a feeling of lethargy, anxiety, and a lack of motivation, and there are no longer any good reasons to justify drinking. I'm a pretty intelligent person, so why have I always thought that a few hours of chemical enjoyment are worth the misery?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

Yup
Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

When raising my daughter I was stone cold sober for ten years. When she went off to college I thought I DESERVED A DRINK! Honestly believing I could once more drink like I had when I was twenty, when I could drink hard and feel FINE the next day.

Thought surely enough time had passed.

You all know how that turned out.

So I'm sitting here thinking, Gee I wish I had read this back then!

But I don't think I would have thought it applied to me.

'Cause I was spayshul!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 11 and back feeling sick

Sorry, posted in the wrong area.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I never understood moderation. If I cannot get drunk, why drink? Why in the world would I have just 1-2 drinks? That seems dumb to me. If I cannot get plastered, I would honestly rather not drink at all. I am with it enough to know one is too many and a thousand never enough.