Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again

Notices

Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again

Old 12-16-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I got sober for good 8 yrs ago and my brain is now working right again. I get great pleasure from ordinary things, like walking my dogs or waking up feeling good.

I don't miss drinking at all as it brought me nothing but misery.
How long did it take to achieve this?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Briansy you may find that some of the people in this thread are no longer around to answer.

For me it took me years to get back to a 'brain working right' level, tho in my case things were complicated with mini strokes.

The point is...we can and do heal - as long as we stop ingesting poison.

I don't believe that healing will make me a born again normal drinker.

D
Old 12-16-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
How long did it take to achieve this?
I would say about a year, give or take. My whole first year sober was actively "not drinking". It was in the second half of that year that I noticed little desire to drink.

And it wasn't something I "achieved", but rather worked on every day. The main reason for my serenity is due to practicing gratitude. I stopped feeling the desire to drink when I chose to be thankful for all I was blessed with.

On the contrary, when I was drinking I felt only one emotion: despair. It is now that I'm functioning normally I am much better able to feel joy and hope.

You seem to look at sobriety as a 'deprivation' rather than a positive experience. I don't see it that way anymore. I have a better life sober than I ever had drinking.

My capacity to feel joy is best expressed by the overwhelming joy I feel every time I look at my old dog Jack. It's the same overwhelming joy I felt when I found him last year, after being lost for 20 days. My joy literally made me feel like I was walking on air, I was so happy.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
OK, so these GABA pathways are not just relevant to those that wanto to drink or are drinking etc - they are also relevant to anyone wanting to seek the best form of natural high from any pleasurable, non-illicit activity - are you saying that you have massively inhibited your ability to derive joy from such things even when sober? Or is your point that you will no longer really be able to enjoy boozing unless it's at a seriously excessive level. I'd like to know as the former is too depressing to even contemplate.
Pleasure from any activity, licit or illicit, is more based on other neurotransmitters than GABA. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that keeps the brakes on your nervous system. Alcohol, benzos and other sedatives do the same, only more effectively, so the natural GABA systems downregulate in the presence of sedatives. Take away the sedatives and BOOM, your nervous system goes into overdrive with not enough inhibitory neurotransmit it to slow it down. Result? Tremor, vomiting, sweating, hallucinations, fever/overheating, blood pressure spikes, etc. As the receptors slowly begin to come back, function slowly returns to normal. It can take quite a long time, a year or longer. Unfortunately every time this happens the neurotransmitter downregulation occurs it happens faster and more completely, hence kindling, and hence withdrawals getting worse and worse. And no, you never go back to just a "normal" hangover.

As far as natural pleasure, this is more tied to the dopamine pleasure and reward centers than GABA. Stimulants hit these neurotransmitter dopamine pathways, which is why cocaine gives such a feel-good rush.
It's directly hitting the pleasure pathway. The withdrawal from cocaine, meth and party stimulants like MDMA is not so much physical as mental, and anhedonia is a VERY common symptom. Heavy meth use tends to "burn out" the pleasure pathways to the point that they may never fully recover.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:00 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks for the bump on this and the great thoughts from Least and MM.

For me, it took a while for the happy button to come back, but eventually it did.

Just hang in there, it takes time, but it does happen.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Pleasure from any activity, licit or illicit, is more based on other neurotransmitters than GABA. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that keeps the brakes on your nervous system. Alcohol, benzos and other sedatives do the same, only more effectively, so the natural GABA systems downregulate in the presence of sedatives. Take away the sedatives and BOOM, your nervous system goes into overdrive with not enough inhibitory neurotransmit it to slow it down. Result? Tremor, vomiting, sweating, hallucinations, fever/overheating, blood pressure spikes, etc. As the receptors slowly begin to come back, function slowly returns to normal. It can take quite a long time, a year or longer. Unfortunately every time this happens the neurotransmitter downregulation occurs it happens faster and more completely, hence kindling, and hence withdrawals getting worse and worse. And no, you never go back to just a "normal" hangover.

As far as natural pleasure, this is more tied to the dopamine pleasure and reward centers than GABA. Stimulants hit these neurotransmitter dopamine pathways, which is why cocaine gives such a feel-good rush.
It's directly hitting the pleasure pathway. The withdrawal from cocaine, meth and party stimulants like MDMA is not so much physical as mental, and anhedonia is a VERY common symptom. Heavy meth use tends to "burn out" the pleasure pathways to the point that they may never fully recover.
I've read about Anhedonia - absolutely scares the life out of me. I'm taking from your post that this is highly unlikely for someone at my stage of addiction and more likely to affect super hard users of coke, MDMA etc - I've done that stuff over the years but only ever MDMA in regular quantities - a couple of times a month for about 6 months to a year before Uni. I could probably count on two hands the total amount of times I've done coke. I did quite a bit of weed at Uni too but I find no enjoyment from it these days.

I play a lot of golf and enjoy running. And those certainly give me pleasure. So I think there is hope for me yet!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

It's good to see that this thread is still alive after so much time. I quit drinking over six years ago and managed to stay sober for a few years. Long story short, I started drinking socially once again because I felt that I could drink responsibly, and now I'm finding myself in a 10-day withdrawal period once again. Four beers one night followed by as single Margarita two nights later was all it took. Needless to say, I should've listened to the advice of others.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcome back....sorry to hear about the withdrawal, I know how scary it can get. Hope you seek support here and keep posting. Two years sober was great going, no reason you can't do it again if that is what you want.
Support to you.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
Welcome back....sorry to hear about the withdrawal, I know how scary it can get. Hope you seek support here and keep posting. Two years sober was great going, no reason you can't do it again if that is what you want.
Support to you.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be okay. I made a foolish mistake and now I'm paying for it. I certainly haven't made drinking a habit again, but now I'm fully aware that my system just can't handle alcohol to any degree any longer. It's a tough lesson learned, but it could've been much worse.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JTele
Hope you stick around - SR is still the best place to be

D
Old 12-27-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back JTele
Hope you stick around - SR is still the best place to be

D
Thanks, Dee! SR is indeed the best place to be!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I've recently figured this out. I'm new to SR. I was sober for 6 months, worked out, felt great, had my life relatively in order. I totally thought I could handle 1 or 2 drinks out with my friends. 6 months later here I am 2 days sober off a pretty big bender. I'm not a person who can drink 1 or 2 drinks. It's not in the cards for me. I'm so glad I've realized this. Now I have stick to it. For myself and my family.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Skrappy

D
Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bump
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Recently I have read some comments here from new members that want to quit drinking for a couple of months/years and then try to drink responsibly again.

Well, I have to disappoint you (but believe me this is a blessing in disguise), that's not possible for 99% of us.

The cause is the progressive nature of the disease alcoholism and the mechanisms of tolerance and kindling.

Every withdrawal is worse than the previous one and each time you drink you will need more alcohol for the same effect. There is no way to reverse it, not a couple of months or years.

I wish I had understood this earlier, instead of binge drinking the last decade away. Over the years I forced myself into thinking that my alcohol consumption was a matter of strong will, persistence or control. I had to "master" the art of moderation and become a happy 1-2 drinks person.

But my body had already changed. Due to the effect of tolerance there was no happiness after 1-2 drinks, my nervous system screamed for more. And after that first drink, I was already powerless over alcohol and would drink more, more... till black-out. Good morning shakes, anxiety, thirst and welcome to the effect of kindling. The hangovers became acute withdrawals.

Actually it's quite silly. Someone with diabetes doesn't have an issue of "strong will" with sugar, neither someone with peanut allergy. So why do we keep fooling ourselves that our alcohol consumption is a matter of mind?

Accept that you can't ever drink again and it will be a lot easier.
This post must be some kind of record for getting the most thank yous. For those that have been following, go back to the OP and look at the blur of blue that follows it.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good post, I hadn't heard of kindling before.

I never used to get hangovers, normally, unless I drank more than 12 or 14 beers. I drank regularly, though I would have started as a binge drinker back in my teens/20s.

what' the difference between a hangover and withdrawal for those who binge drink on weekends?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Walk on

To the OP; very good post and good to read. Yes it's a physical thing and once it's turned into an addiction those pathways will ALWAYS remain in the brain; they are just dormant. One drink will begin the inflammation process in those areas and those pathways of addiction start up again. Funnily enough they have been trying out giving anti-inflammation drugs to alcoholics with some positive results.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Torii View Post
Good post, I hadn't heard of kindling before.

I never used to get hangovers, normally, unless I drank more than 12 or 14 beers. I drank regularly, though I would have started as a binge drinker back in my teens/20s.

what' the difference between a hangover and withdrawal for those who binge drink on weekends?
At the risk of over-simplification:

A hangover is a healthy brain's reaction to being poisoned with alcohol.

Withdrawal is an addicted brain's reaction to being deprived of alcohol.

The time it takes to "graduate" from hangovers to withdrawal varies with the individual, the amount of alcohol, and the frequency of drinking, among many other factors.

Sometimes (as in my case), there's a "grace period" during which the drinker suffers neither hangovers or withdrawals, giving the false impression of immunity from the consequences of drinking.

Grace periods always expire, though.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Bumping this because now I fit after stopping relatively small amounts of alcohol compared to before, and it explains it perfectly.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

kindling got me recently. i get withdrawals from two beers now.

is there any new development on this?