Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again

Notices

Tolerance and kindling - Why alcoholics can't drink normally again

Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Here from May 2013 through Mid 2014 then drank Oct 2014 days shy of 18 months.

Back here May 2016 with a world of crap to deal with, far worse than anything I could ever imagine. I'd give back every sip of alcohol ever taken during that time if I could make it all go away.

It will NEVER change and it will NEVER get any better. All paths that involve drinking will lead you down the same sewer. It's just a matter of time.

Save yourself while you can and don't ever take the chance.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

" It will NEVER change and it will NEVER get any better. All paths that involve drinking will lead you down the same sewer. It's just a matter of time.

Save yourself while you can and don't ever take the chance. "

Truer words were never spoken.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I keep lying to myself. I tell myself one day I can drink again. That it will be all fine after this break. Lying to myself.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JSerra View Post
....why have I always thought that a few hours of chemical enjoyment are worth the misery?
Wish I knew the answer to this....
Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Recently I have read some comments here from new members that want to quit drinking for a couple of months/years and then try to drink responsibly again.

Well, I have to disappoint you (but believe me this is a blessing in disguise), that's not possible for 99% of us.

The cause is the progressive nature of the disease alcoholism and the mechanisms of tolerance and kindling.

Every withdrawal is worse than the previous one and each time you drink you will need more alcohol for the same effect. There is no way to reverse it, not a couple of months or years.

I wish I had understood this earlier, instead of binge drinking the last decade away. Over the years I forced myself into thinking that my alcohol consumption was a matter of strong will, persistence or control. I had to "master" the art of moderation and become a happy 1-2 drinks person.

But my body had already changed. Due to the effect of tolerance there was no happiness after 1-2 drinks, my nervous system screamed for more. And after that first drink, I was already powerless over alcohol and would drink more, more... till black-out. Good morning shakes, anxiety, thirst and welcome to the effect of kindling. The hangovers became acute withdrawals.

Actually it's quite silly. Someone with diabetes doesn't have an issue of "strong will" with sugar, neither someone with peanut allergy. So why do we keep fooling ourselves that our alcohol consumption is a matter of mind?

Accept that you can't ever drink again and it will be a lot easier.
This was a great post, thanks
Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Changing

thank you.

i don't know that term 'kindling' can you explain

what i do know is this

i once was a cucumber
now i'm a pickle

and i can't be a cucumber again.
i hate that this happened to me.
and i'm jealous of cucumbers.
but i'm not jealous of pickles.

tiff
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bumping for Newcomers & Guests and Returning Friends
Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Partyanimal View Post
Wish I knew the answer to this....

Slaves to the body, playing with fire is fun sometimes. I think the battle lures some in, gives life a spark briefly. Or perhaps we are looking for that old friend of a feeling booze gave us? Dissapointing that our relationship with alcohol is basically suicidal. I cant help but try to moderate my drinking again after 2 years of sobriety, it reawakens all the bad things before the good, and the next morning you will feel some degree of acute withdrawals. I figure we all have a good understanding of our bodies interaction with alcohol now and can imagine what it would be like to drink various amounts in various settings. Personally I have to know for sure Im too deep in to drink even here and there a little.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

This is an excellent thread which reinforces much of what I have believed and experienced. I'm 3 weeks into sobriety again after a terrible cold turkey withdrawal period. Most acute ever and lasted probably twice what I've ever experienced before. This alone has kept me firmly sober so far but I'm aware that the cravings will come......the lies will try and drag me back but I know I'm past the point of ever being able to drink again safely. That with the added danger of ever worsening withdrawals is exactly where I am. To understand a little more why is yes a little terrifying but also absolutely necessary in terms of accepting where I am and what I can and cannot do. Relapse is a real danger for me now I believe so the more I can understand what to perhaps expect then I've a better chance of avoiding being blindsighted by symptoms which may lead to relapse which I really do not want to do. Thank you all for such vital information. This kind of this is life saving I'm sure. Jo xxx
Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the forum playwithfire

D
Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Even tho it's been almost 7 and a half years, I still remember the horrible withdrawals I went thru after drinking for two days after being sober six months. I will never put myself thru that hell again.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Least, your post made me feel much more sane again. I didn't drink for some weeks last summer (was in hospital and had to take painkillers) and I felt so weird when I didn't drink for the first days but I thought it was just the side effects of my painkillers.

Then after being sober for some weeks I went back to daily drinking for just a week. Then tried to stop, drank again after 3 days, tried to stop again and that went on for 2 weeks until I finally stopped. I had quite bad withdrawals with shakes, insomnia, sweats, hallucinating and weird laughing / crying for no reason. I never understood how that was possible after just drinking for some days.

I even questioned if it was really a withdrawal or maybe just a flu or some stomach bug.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thankyou. This thread is the best one I have found about personal experiences with the kindling effect and relapsing to various degrees. The information here is gold among us!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Do your best

Going up
Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Yes, it's true. Kindling, worse every time. It's good to know, and as my psychiatrist said, "you're not missing out on much, by not drinking". He's right.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Needed to read this today. Dee74, thanks for bringing this up in a post today. Bumping for other newcomers like me.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh been there... Thinking it was perfectly acceptable to drink a bottle of vodka on a Saturday night while watching TV and sure another one on a Wednesday to break up the week... That was my idea of moderation after drinking every night for years... That's not normal behavior..
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
It is physiological as was as psychological. A full blown alcoholic has blown the GABA pathways, feed back loop wide open. Those don't ever shut again so large amounts of alcoholic or any GABA drug will be needed to activate or stimulate that pleasure center at a level out bodies and minds desire.

The mu receptors are a but different for opiate addicts. Those a really reset to some degree, but not so with the alcoholic and GABA. Alcohol abuse is preformed dive and it never completely resets. That is why we quickly begin when we left off even after long periods of abstinence. In short, we screwed.
OK, so these GABA pathways are not just relevant to those that wanto to drink or are drinking etc - they are also relevant to anyone wanting to seek the best form of natural high from any pleasurable, non-illicit activity - are you saying that you have massively inhibited your ability to derive joy from such things even when sober? Or is your point that you will no longer really be able to enjoy boozing unless it's at a seriously excessive level. I'd like to know as the former is too depressing to even contemplate.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober for good 8 yrs ago and my brain is now working right again. I get great pleasure from ordinary things, like walking my dogs or waking up feeling good.

I don't miss drinking at all as it brought me nothing but misery.