Notices

Class of July 2012 part 2

Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

thanks for all the welcomes!

I can relate Itsmytime! I quit before for 28 months, then started drinking again 2004, and haven't been able to quit since. Been trying on and off to quit again.
I am keeping with the exercising and coming here and reading and thinking of meetings too. keep it simple!! Planning on a sober sunday one day at a time!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

lwb... I wouldn't mad at it and watched every last drop of it go down the drain.... then rinsed it out really, really good and probably have kept it for a souvenir.... or something like that Nice stepping into your authority to say No, isn't it?

TiG.... Yeah, you know what? I start drinking, I stop running and readying , I start laying on the couch watching tv all day. No wonder I don't feel worth a dime when I'm like that. I didn't want to run yesterday morning, but afterwards, I'm so glad I did.

Sarah... now I KNOW you wouldn't go out and get that poison without first trying to get ahold of me, right?? A deal is a deal. That goes for me too....

If alcohol is taking center stage the...... :camper: just sayin....

For me I have to constantly allow God has to stay center stage - because when I or the AV starts pushing in - He'll move and let have that place again. I've learned my lesson this time... He stays center stage. It's not all about me - it's about Him and how I can help others like me find peace and joy from addiction and abuse.

Yeah, Nessa, the fatique is part of it... my energy just start coming back this week and I'm on day 17. Proud of you though for not going and not putting yourself to the test this soon.

jhe..... 3 weeks - WOOT WOOT!!!!! I haven't had drinking dreams, but I did dream a couple nights ago the a friend has some really good pot-like stuff and I was drooling from the mouth wanting her to roll one for us - or get a pipe out. In the meantime I smoke a cigarette and immediately after thought. My reasoning was if I'm going to smoke pot (which I haven't in at least 20 years), then I might as well smoke a cigarette (which I quit 5 1/4 years ago)!!! Then I felt real remorse for smoking that cigarette. Bad dream.

It's the remorse I think that keeps us there. The shame we load on ourselves. It keeps us underfoot and holds us there until we get the smallest flicker of determiniation within us to start to rise up and topple the monster.

MyT... it's the little things also that make us happy. Like watching the sun come up in the morning or setting at dawn. Like being able to read a good book and actually remember what we read.... Like not having to try to remember what stupid thing we did last night.... Like looking forward to conquering a day in the way that we are suipposed to without alcohol poisoning and ruining the moment. Like getting through activities that we never thought we could do without alcohol... and we're doing them!!! We don't need it

Sentso..... Exactly! He has it spot on, doesn't he? That's what we're all about now.

IMT.... I quit for two years once and 8 months another time... I don't look back to those. Today is today... a new day... the first day of the rest of my life. All of those times I tried before - they're gone, but I have 17 days of sobriety as of today that I am dang proud of

Flac.... banish the beer --- I would rationalize that well, I'm ONLY drinking beer instead of firewater or pina colada rum or whatever.... it's not any better.... I just drank more and put on a ton of weight doing it!!! Not worth the withdrawals again or trying to lose the tonnage.

Have a Sunny Sober Sunday (it can be sunny inside if not out).... Blessings, my friends.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

RC.... nice to see you here..... let's do it this time!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
Good morning everyone!

Ah ah I've never dreamed about SR yet!

Having a cup of tea before I go running, and then I'll go record some stuff in the afternoon. So glad I didn't have that first drink last night.
And yeah, like you all said, I'm starting to feel proud of our class of july, it's a funny feeling and it's great!

"... every day you have to tell yourself, ‘you’re not well today’. To the point that I know I haven’t had a drink in twelve years but I can’t tell you exactly how many years, how many days, like some AA people. Because my whole thing is I know I didn’t have a drink yesterday and I hope I don’t have a drink today. As long as you have that understanding about yourself, you never get to that point where you say ‘I’m well, I’ve been for five years, I’m going to have a beer’. Because as soon as you have that one…"

"I never had one drink in my whole life. When I bought a six-pack, I didn’t drink a couple of beers and put the rest in the fridge for later in the week. I drank the lot, then went out and bought another one. I was compulsive."

And so I was just thinking yesterday about counting the sober days, and something was annoying me, but I didn't know exactly what. Maybe it is what he describes above. I know that after some sober time, it's kind of a trigger to look back and think: alright, I made it that far, I can have a drink. You know?
Haha SR and pies... 2 of my favourite things in life, combined, what could be better?!

The counting is something that I struggle with too. Very much to start with I was day 2 yay! 3 yay! and then it became a real slog to get to day 5 and time seemed so slow and I'd get the thinking of - look how many days you've done, you deserve a drink... It's very hard not to know how many days it has been when in such early sobriety but I am trying to not think about it too much. Don't get me wrong I am incredibly proud of where I am right now, but I just like to think of it as another sober day, like yesterday.

Interestingly (or not!) since I've joined and explored methods that I have never heard of before and learned more about those that I have, my plan seems to be a mixture of both. Initially I was very happy with the never again, but after choosing to drink on new milestone days for whatever reason (I can't call it a relapse or a slip as to me it was a conscious decision) then I am now using the mantra more of I will not drink today. My thinking is I will not drink today, I will treat today like yesterday when I did not drink and tomorrow morning I will feel as good as I did this morning. Yeah.... I even have a long rambling mantra - surprise!

It sounds like you are really getting your head around this Sentso and like you - I'm proud of our class too

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post

MyT... it's the little things also that make us happy. Like watching the sun come up in the morning or setting at dawn. Like being able to read a good book and actually remember what we read.... Like not having to try to remember what stupid thing we did last night.... Like looking forward to conquering a day in the way that we are suipposed to without alcohol poisoning and ruining the moment. Like getting through activities that we never thought we could do without alcohol... and we're doing them!!! We don't need it

IMT.... I quit for two years once and 8 months another time... I don't look back to those. Today is today... a new day... the first day of the rest of my life. All of those times I tried before - they're gone, but I have 17 days of sobriety as of today that I am dang proud of

Have a Sunny Sober Sunday (it can be sunny inside if not out).... Blessings, my friends.
Definitely R4R, the little things and all the things we are doing. Every meet up or day out or plan was revolved around drinking, whether I'd have a hangover, what time would we be back, would I have time to 'chill' in the evening with the wine... I feel really sad about that and I think it's something Sarah touched upon earlier - the feeling of why didn't we do this sooner. It's easy to say no regrets, but... you know... of course there are. I feel selfish when I think I'm not going to let myself feel bad about the past, but if I get into a downward spiral of guilt and remorse, I know exactly where that will take me and I don't want to go there.

And so you should feel dang proud of your 17 days! Smile, be happy, be proud !

So yes, I'm back from the park! A lovely time, play and a picnic with very runny ice creams to follow in the sunshine. It's worn DD out so she's asleep, we left DS there with his friends. I think I'm going to mow the grass and get out DD's new paddling pool. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, I could fill her old one with buckets...

...Is it a stupid idea to think I might be able to gaffa tape the hosepipe to the indoor taps??!! Haha worth a try I reckon. Wish me luck! :rotfxko
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hello everyone....and happy Sunday. I can relate to so much you are all saying. I was thinking the other day, I will tell myself I have quit smoking even though I have smoked some (when I would relapse on alcohol) but for some reason I don't look at it the same. Meaning I don't go back and count days like I do with the days of not drinking. If that makes any sence to anyone...I don't know I just woke up and haven't had my coffee...Ha Ha. Anyway day 10 here and so glad I'm here.
Myjourney4me
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Happy sober Sunday everyone. One more day and up to 14. Crazy wild dreams and food cravings but am dealing fairly well.
Thanks for all you say and all the encouragement here.
Hugs, Lit
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Day 7!

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
This morning I woke at 3.09am full of shame and remorse at going out lastnight with an old friend and drinking pints and pints of beer.the memories were so vivid but as I woke properly I realized it was a dream. The sheer,overwhelming relief that it was a dream was amazing.Hard to explain now but it reinforced how bad I will feel if I ever drink again.
I had a similar dream - but it was just that - a dream. Guess we're having them to help reinforce our resolve to never drink again.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Well, it's still July, so i guess I haven't completely flunked the class yet. Drank friday & felt like crap. Still going to meetings I just am not fully getting it yet, I just keep wanting that "one more time" "one last drunk".

I've called a few outpatient programs & left messages for a call back. My therapist had suggested in-patient last Thursday but it's just not possible with my family & work situation.

On my way to church here in a few. Plans with the kids & husband to swim after here at home. Easy day...all I can think of is if I should have just one more day by the pool with cocktail in hand or not.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Made it to Sunday...day 11 for me. Still having weird dream and not sleeping well. Cravings at odd hours. Also still feeling bloated and heavy. Does it ever end?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Originally Posted by katan View Post
Hi Everyone,
Made it to Sunday...day 11 for me. Still having weird dream and not sleeping well. Cravings at odd hours. Also still feeling bloated and heavy. Does it ever end?
Me too. Thought after a week free of alcohol I'd have less weird dreams or feel less bloaty but I guess it'll take time. It took years to get here - I guess it can't change overnight.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Same here as far as the dreams. They are insane. Day 8, still going strong! Have a great Sunday everyone!

Dom
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 11 katan and your day 8 Dom - I saw your other thread, I'm so glad you have the strength to get through this and glad to see you posting. Your avatar reminds me of Jenna Marbles, a friend of mine keeps posting her vlogs on Facebook and she does crack me up in a silly way... I don't know whether that is good or bad in your eyes!

DD settled in bed, I'll be off soon, a song came into my head and I just wanted to watch it on youtube - goosebumps and shivers... I've heard the song a hundred times before and watched it purposefully when up drinking because I enjoy it. But sober... Wow.

Queen - I Want To Break Free.

It's had me near to tears just thinking about my journey since I joined.

I'll watch a little more then off to bed. See you on Monday everybody!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
EFC

July 2012 WILL be the month that I look back on and say, "That is the last month I ever consumed alcohol." I simply cannot continue living how I have been living, and I am determined to make this change.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome EFC

and welcome back Ruby, and jstar and Dom

D
Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I love sober sundays! I went running in the morning and spent the whole afternoon til now (almost midnight here) recording with my bandmates. Couldn't have done that if I had taken this first drink last night.

Samuel L. Jackson's sentences were on my mind all day long, and so were you guys. I hope it all went well for you today.

I can't help counting my sober days since tomorrow is day 7, and it's my first day 7 in more than two years, but I keep telling myself after that I should stop counting.

Hey Mel, how are you?

(gonna listen to I want to break free!)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

LitBit - Congrats on the one more day. I think of my wild dreams as a transition effect, as evidence that my brain wiring is repairing itself and returning to a good condition.

Jstar - Good to hear that you are putting in good energy towards coming up with a plan. Thinking of you.

Katan - I hope you find relief sooner rather than later. After joining this list, I have started to wonder what the full medical effect of alcohol actually is. That sure isn’t something they spell out in the glitzy Scotch commercials.

MyTimeNow - Great song!!!

EFC - I’m there with you, with JULY 2012 being the end of the dead end and the beginning of the living anew.

Mel
Old 07-22-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Sentso,

"Improbable Equipment Malfunction Even When Redundant Failsafes are in Place" -- is my middle name.

I think equipment malfunction is a law of nature.

Mel
Old 07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Ah ah Mel, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you mean! English is not exactly my mother tongue so... I had to look for the meaning of failsafe and found an interesting wikipedia page! So I learned something tonight, thanks, and I suppose you're not feeling that well, so I'll be thinking of you.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I had a red bull a few hours ago, so the fatigue is temporarily gone and I feel fantastic!!! Must invest in more red bull!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
TiG

Litbit: congrats on day 14.

jstar: You can do this. Hang tough.

katan: awesome job on day 11. Stay strong through the cravings.

lwb: Having patience through the process is something to be remember. I'll have to write that one down on my flash cards.

Dominica2: Great job with day 8.

mtn: You're a good mom (mum).

EFC: Do it. It's totally worth it. Not easy, but the rewards are there for you.

Sentso: You're doing great.

Mel: Like your avatar picture. Is that Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh?

Nessa: Have you seen the Red Bull episode of Family Guy? My kids think it's the best.

Day 8 is coming to a close and I'm doing alright. Went for a short run to round out my goal weekly mileage and enjoy the outside. Son No. 2 went with me riding his bike. We had a good talk. Little things are becoming less of a bother now, but I was tired today. Took two naps and still ready for bed.

Have a good night everyone.