Notices

Class of July 2012 part 2

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi lbnv, welcome on SR! I'm sorry you're going through hard times.

I cannot remember the last time I had just one or two beers either. And I also understood that the first drink was the enemy, since I cannot stop once I've had it. Hang around here for a while, you'll see you're not alone, and you should find the support you need. It's been so helpful for me so far!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
Tonight some friends and guys from the label came to the studio, and of course they brought some beer. Some noticed I was not drinking and looked surprised.
One of them was a musician I really like, who's older than me, mid 40's I'd say. When I told him I was trying to avoid drinking, he laughed and said: "I know you a little, we're a lot alike, I bet you you'll be drinking and smoking again soon". What a stupid thing to say. I guess maybe he was just being defensive (he's an alcoholic). Oh well. It made me want a drink for a few minutes, but then I just wanted to prove him wrong.
A lot of people around me wouldn't believe I can quit drinking. Proving them all wrong is a good motivation.
Truly, what a stupid thing to say! He's just jealous because he can't quit drinking like you. It's like when a friend loses a bunch of weight and you can't no matter how hard you try - you try and be happy for them but deep down you're really pi**ed off at yourself for not being able to do it. Hey, I'm the first to admit it!

You should send this link to this musician guy and see what he has to say. I Googled sober celebrities and was astonished to see who some of them are (not just musicians!). They seem to doing pretty good in life without alcohol.

Sober Celebs A to Z - Biography.com
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Ah ah it's funny I found this kind of list just the other day! That's how I found Samuel Jackson's interview, which made me think a lot.
And Samuel Jackson being an incredibly cool guy, sober is definitely the new cool, isn't it?

(Tom Waits and Jeff Tweedy, that's comforting too!)

I don't think he wanted to be mean or stupid, I think he just couldn't take me seriously, and that's a shame. I feel bad for him actually.

Thanks lwb, and have a good night!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Sorry Sentso! Forgot Keith Urban, George Jones, David Allen Coe, Kris Kristofferson...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

aaaahhhh... typed before I saw your post. And yes, sober is definitely the new cool. Sleep well.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Sentso,

Using that stupid comment as a motivation to prove him wrong is smart. Smart to turn things around to the advantage of your sobriety.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

WOW... lots of newcomers today..... TERRIFIC!!! Welcome to you all

Lb... You could count today as day 1 --- 4am could be considered last night still - just sayin

Sentso... so glad you didn't get reeled in to drink with them.... GREAT JOB resisting.

Sarah.... Congrats on 3 weeks +1... and thanks!

Regarding anxiety..... mine is acting up big-time the last few days. I'm on meds - may have to get them changed... or learn some techniques to get myself quiet. Instead of relying so much on the meds.

Have a good night or day everyone! I'm so glad we're here... sober is a nice place to be.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me!!

Wanted to introduce myself, I am Katie and this is my second day sober
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome Katie and other newcomers, hang around for some good times!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Katie

D
Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Today is day 15 for me. I am learning from each day more and more about myself and the change I have made to my life. I am not looking back anymore, just focused on today and right now. I have started a list of goals for things I have never made a priority in my life that now mean everything to me. This change has gone from my quitting drinking to me changing my entire way of thinking and living. It feels good.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I loved the list of sober celebrities! Jim Carey and Eddie Murphy certainly seem to have lots of fun without it! I'm a little scared that Stephen King writes all that stuff sober *yikes* imagine if he were drinking? We're in good company. Many musicians I like too on the list. Very encouraging!

Took a nice walk on the beach tonight, something from my list of things I enjoyed before I ever drank. Listened to Fix You by Coldplay on the Ipod-great song for our situation...

When you try your best but you don't succeed When you get what you want but not what you need When you feel so tired but you can't sleep Stuck in reverse
And the tears come streaming down your face When you lose something you can't replace When you love someone but it goes to waste Could it be worse?
Lights will guide you home And ignite your bones And I will try to fix you
And high up above or down below When you're too in love to let it go But if you never try you'll never know Just what you're worth
Lights will guide you home And ignite your bones And I will try to fix you

Sleep well tonight everyone!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome, Katie!

OM... it's the thinking that has to change anyway... it's a whole new life in a big way.

Nice lyrics NFW! So true.

Gotta go try and get some sleep. Wound up tonight for some reason.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Ughhhh I'm so craving a drink right now.... I have been living with my parents for 2 years, because I got pregnant and was left to handle it all on my own. My mom was acting like a complete psycho tonight, for absolutely no reason. I had such a good day today, and her going ballistic on me is tempting me to take my behind upstairs and pour a nice stiff drink.... I'm trying really hard to just not do it, I'm doing so well! I'm hoping that venting here will let me ride the urge wave out..... Whewfta!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more healthy ways you can find to unwind the less hold cravings will have Nessa - is there some other way you can think of to relax and let the evenings frustrations go?

Music and headphones is good for me sometimes?

D
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Im trying to just relax my mind with browsing on here, and playing around on Facebook... I'm feeling a bit better, but not in the clear yet. The irony behind this is.... My mom is always telling me to quit drinking, but she is a major cause for my drinking. Menopause is no joke, LOL. Luckily, I'm out of here in a week...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Welcome Katie! Lots of encouragement and support to be found here. Congrats on Day 2.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Morning

Welcome to all the newcomers, good to 'see' lots of new faces here.

Not feeling to good this morning, don't know why. Went to bed early after a funny dizzy spell and just feel a bit yucky today. Not even 6am yet though, maybe I just need more tea...

I have plans for a walk in the woods with a friend and the kids before lunch so that should perk me up a bit

Glad you are back and have plans for next week in place brdlvr - can I ask what PPP is?

Some people just don't think Sentso or have no tact, there'll probably come a day when he is trying to quit and he'll look back and realise what he's said!

Better get my recycling out before I scare the binmen again in my PJ's!

Have a great Tuesday all!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Whew! Made it through, and super proud of myself! It took an amazing article written by an ex of mine to calm me.... Made me think, if I wouldn't have been such a wild woman, we probably would have worked out fantastically! The guy is amazing, and he's doing such amazing things in life... He has never been a drinker.... Correlation? Probably at least a bit, lol
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Starting day 4
- mind feels a little fuzzy
- beginning to see I had a problem
- front lawn is mowed
- shopping is done
- washing is done
- washing is sorted

Some coincidences or not depending on how you think:
- had stopped reading books due to drunkenness and started reading a book "Adapt: why success always starts with failure"
about why some companies survive and some don't. Finished first chapter with the 3 essential steps. To try new things, in the expectation that some will fail; to make failure survivable because it will be common; and to make sure that you that you know when you have failed.
-Listened to music and could hear why I used to enjoy it so much. Favourite band has been Alice in Chains for a while. I bought their new cd ages ago but didn't listen to it. First song lyrics below:
All Secrets Known

Hope,
A new beginning
Time,
Time to start living -
like just before we died.

There's no going back to the place -
We've started from.

Hurt,
Falling through fingers.
Trust,
Trust in the feeling -