Notices

Hooked up with my sponsor's long-term ex-boyfriend ...

Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erutxet View Post
Hello!

I am one month and three weeks sober. In the short time I've been a part of AA, I've been through four sponsors, kicked out of a home group, and have proposed to a man. I proposed to my sponsor's ex-boyfriend. I knew he liked me all along and there was no way to hide the feelings anymore. Things hit the fan when she caught us together on Good Friday in April. It was early in the morning and she thought I'd slept at his house with him, when really I'd dropped by to tell him about my overwhelming feelings for him. I barely know him, what I do know of him I heard through my sponsor, who is clearly not over him and talked about him endlessly. He is 5 years sober and she's been sober for 5 months because she keeps relapsing. He doesn't love her anymore and it's obvious to many of us that she still hopes they'll get back together. Anyway, after she found me at his house and saw how he was behaving affectionately toward me she wanted nothing to do with me. In retaliation she told his sponsor, who is the husband of her sponsor, what happened and they all told him that he has to wait six months to a year to date me. He told me the next day that I can no longer be in contact with him until time has passed and I am further along in my recovery. Since that day he will not talk to me. Not a word. I have spammed his facebook inbox with over 2000 messages, texted him like crazy to the point where he said he would call the cops. I asked him if he was mad at me at one point and he said 'What? Never." <33 Still, it is strange that he is so quiet and withdrawn, has he moved on? I am 23 and he is 33. I can tell that we were in love in the beginning, but now that I've stopped spamming him, I just wonder if he still feels for me? Has he forgotten me? Why won't he at least tell me a few words of encouragement?

I really need support and advice on this whole thing, it makes me want to go out and drink again. I love him so much and I'm taking his need for me to wait and do more recovery personally.
Wow! You've been a busy girl! I got winded just reading that.

Drama. You've got lots of it. It's going to kill you.

The drama is addictive too. It gives us something to focus on instead of the fight we are losing with alcoholism. It also gives us a great rush.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

How are you in love with this guy if you barely know him?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Well when you want something, you certainly go for it. That kind of energy can serve you well... if properly directed. You called it an "obsession." Strong word... but yeah, sounds like it. You wouldn't be the first person to confuse obsession for love. You also wouldn't be the first to latch onto a new romantic interest in a time of vulnerability. Human being? Check, check.

Maybe he's not interested. Maybe he cares a lot about you. Either way, seems like the right thing to do is exactly what he's been doing. I think anyone can see that you really need to focus on yourself... and you can't do that by losing yourself in someone else.

You're 23. You're sober. You have a lot to look forward to. Including love. If it helps, consider the time you spend focusing on yourself right now as an investment in your future relationships. But first things first, you know?

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on seven weeks—if you've stayed sober during those personal whirlwinds, you must be doing something right.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Well when you want something, you certainly go for it. That kind of energy can serve you well... if properly directed. You called it an "obsession." Strong word... but yeah, sounds like it. You wouldn't be the first person to confuse obsession for love. You also wouldn't be the first to latch onto a new romantic interest in a time of vulnerability. Human being? Check, check.

Maybe he's not interested. Maybe he cares a lot about you. Either way, seems like the right thing to do is exactly what he's been doing. I think anyone can see that you really need to focus on yourself... and you can't do that by losing yourself in someone else.

You're 23. You're sober. You have a lot to look forward to. Including love. If it helps, consider the time you spend focusing on yourself right now as an investment in your future relationships. But first things first, you know?

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on seven weeks—if you've stayed sober during those personal whirlwinds, you must be doing something right.
Ya.. after reading through the thread a couple times I feel like I have a lot of work to do before getting in a serious relationship. Everyone's freaking out about all this work I have to do it's like ... I feel like I've done a whole crapload of work already. I'm pretty much burnt out from AA. I've read a lot of the literature and I went to a meeting or two everyday for a month. Blah. I know I'm obsessive. I really hope I didn't freak him out with the messages. I wonder if he thinks I'm a freak. Well, it's not about him anymore, I guess.

It's going to be really embarrassing seeing him at meetings. I'll be so filled with awkward shame. First things first, easy does it, I know, but it's easier said than done.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Not a bad turn out for my first post...
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hello!

I am one month and three weeks sober. In the short time I've been a part of AA, I've been through four sponsors, kicked out of a home group, and have proposed to a man. I proposed to my sponsor's ex-boyfriend. I knew he liked me all along and there was no way to hide the feelings anymore. Things hit the fan when she caught us together on Good Friday in April. It was early in the morning and she thought I'd slept at his house with him, when really I'd dropped by to tell him about my overwhelming feelings for him. I barely know him, what I do know of him I heard through my sponsor, who is clearly not over him and talked about him endlessly. He is 5 years sober and she's been sober for 5 months because she keeps relapsing. He doesn't love her anymore and it's obvious to many of us that she still hopes they'll get back together. Anyway, after she found me at his house and saw how he was behaving affectionately toward me she wanted nothing to do with me. In retaliation she told his sponsor, who is the husband of her sponsor, what happened and they all told him that he has to wait six months to a year to date me. He told me the next day that I can no longer be in contact with him until time has passed and I am further along in my recovery. Since that day he will not talk to me. Not a word. I have spammed his facebook inbox with over 2000 messages, texted him like crazy to the point where he said he would call the cops. I asked him if he was mad at me at one point and he said 'What? Never." <33 Still, it is strange that he is so quiet and withdrawn, has he moved on? I am 23 and he is 33. I can tell that we were in love in the beginning, but now that I've stopped spamming him, I just wonder if he still feels for me? Has he forgotten me? Why won't he at least tell me a few words of encouragement?

I really need support and advice on this whole thing, it makes me want to go out and drink again. I love him so much and I'm taking his need for me to wait and do more recovery personally.
"Selfishness--self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.

So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn’t think so. Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness."

How It Works

~

Our troubles are of our own making.

We step on the toes of others and they retaliate.

You knew your sponsor had feelings for her ex and you went after him anyway. That's selfish.

You stepped on the toes of others, and now you have troubles.

And now...here's the get out of jail free card...

"Suppose we fall short of the chosen ideal and stumble? Does this mean we are going to get drunk. Some people tell us so. But this is only a half-truth. It depends on us and on our motives. If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson. If we are not sorry, and our conduct continues to harm others, we are quite sure to drink. We are not theorizing. These are facts out of our experience."

How It Works
Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I know it's hard, but if you can stop yourself from thinking about him it will be for the best -- for you, and for whatever future friendship or relationship the two of you may have.

My humble recommendation? In the same way that you might catch your addictive voice speaking to you, try to observe and catch when those romantic thoughts take control. Don't delve into them, because they really are a distraction from focusing on ourselves.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Welcome to SR, Erutxet. As you are a new member in this month of May, I invite you to join us in the "Class of May 2012" thread. You will find great support from wonderful people there, too.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

It took me delving into addiction to realize I had a problem with relationships. I was totally IN LOVE with a functioning alcoholic. His actions, I couldn't deal with and turned to substance abuse.

I dug a deep hole, lost my nursing career, everything I owned, but I didn't care...I found another, then another addict bf.

It took dealing with all the consequences of my addiction to say "I've had enough"...meaning both the relationships and the addiction.

SR has been my lifeline. I learned how to love myself, NOT depend on someone else for my self worth. I'm 5 years into recovery, WAY older than you, but all I know is the person I DON'T want.

We often turn to someone, something else to deal with our addiction. In all honesty? It doesn't matter whether HE loves you, do you love yourself? I spent decades believing that my worth was due to a man. When we are able to be okay with ourselves? Then we have learned about recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Wow. Sorry you are defensive about some of the responses to you first post or that others weren't as sensitive as you want.

I have been sober for about 20 months and I too have heard the one-year rule. It's not anything you'll find in the first 164 pages of the Big Book, but I can see the point to it.

I, of course, didn't listen to the rule either and ended up in a wonderful relationship. The pain of being alone was too much. But it wasn't long before my old antics that made relationships impossible started rising to the surface of my skin. I heard in the rooms or a bad movie somewhere that if you are serious about recovery, when you get sober, buy a plant. If the plant is still alive at six months or so, get a pet. If the pet is still alive after a year or so, go out on a date.

I also saw a recovery cartoon somewhere. A sponsor is having coffee with a newcomer. He tells the sponsee, "Hey...you can have all the sex you want. And after a year, you can have sex with someone other than yourself."

I wish I had followed the one-year rule.

So glad you are going to a month of treatment.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ya.. after reading through the thread a couple times I feel like I have a lot of work to do before getting in a serious relationship. Everyone's freaking out about all this work I have to do it's like ... I feel like I've done a whole crapload of work already. I'm pretty much burnt out from AA. I've read a lot of the literature and I went to a meeting or two everyday for a month. Blah. I know I'm obsessive.
Welcome to my world. I still don't go as fast as I think I should. When my Priest reminded me that everything happens in Gods time, I responded that God always acts like has all the time in the world. We have to pace ourselves and remember that life is a journey, not a destination.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I have no intention of getting involved in this discussion, other than to say this:

erutxet: I genuinely and sincerely believe that the issues that have come out in this thread indicate the need for immediate help from a mental health professional such as a licensed psychologist. It is my hope that you'll do all you can to seek this assistance.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I have one through the university. I'm not crazy, I'm just going though the joys of early sobriety. If I go out and drink again, that's crazy because I know I'm an alcoholic!!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Quitter

I'm glad you are still so focused on the goal of not drinking erutxet.
My university offered free consoling to any students who wanted it. I wasn't crazy either, but I probably would have benefited from it. Think about it. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

erutxet-There is a book by Pia Mellody called FACING LOVE ADDICTION--I am not trying to diagnose you; however, I really believe there are some things she talks about that might help you detach some and free up your mind and heart to work on you :-) In other words, take what you want and leave the rest.... It's a tough spot, and I wish you the very best!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

hello,
Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I have no intention of getting involved in this discussion, other than to say this:

erutxet: I genuinely and sincerely believe that the issues that have come out in this thread indicate the need for immediate help from a mental health professional such as a licensed psychologist. It is my hope that you'll do all you can to seek this assistance.

Thanks only the truth!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hello!
He told me the next day that I can no longer be in contact with him until time has passed and I am further along in my recovery. .
He sounds very reasonable with those words in red. Honor his request and keep walking on the sobriety path. Good things come to those who work and wait.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm currently in rehab, I get out on Friday. While I have been here I've done my fourth step. I discovered that I'm very insecure and afraid of my recovery journey, to the point where clinging to virtual strangers seems like a good option. I'm very ashamed and filled with remorse concerning my behavior toward my sponsor and her ex boyfriend. I can see now that I really hurt my sponsor with my selfish desires, and I put her ex in a joyless position. I know I owe these people amends, I pray for answers each day. I meditate so I can distance myself from the sexual obsession I have with him. I am grateful for this series of events because I have learnt a lot about myself. I've been humbled by the steps and the input of others, I can truly feel my foolish and weak self will starting to melt away inside of me.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm glad to know you are getting help. When we know better, we do better. Good luck to you, erutxet.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

That's fantastic erutxet...A good honest look at ourselves can work wonders...Keep working those steps...It will change your life.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

erutxet, focus on your sobriety and not relationships. Your only 23 years old, what's the rush? 23 and 33 is not that big of a difference in age but do you truly believe that dating this guy will make you happy? First of all the guy seem like a jerk. You sending him 2000 messages on facebook and he does not reply to tell you stop and move on and then call the police about it. 2000 messages is a lot and it's something that you most likely not have send that many but facebook massages are different from SMS or voice messages.

You will have your ups and downs in life but if you don't get your sobriety straight away then you will see mostly downs then ups. Good luck on your sobriety.