Notices

Emotional trauma...

Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional trauma...

Today I spilt my porridge. I sh;t you not, it caused the biggest craving/impulse that I have had in a long while...as it was landing on my nice clean stove I thought 'I could really do with a beer'!

So...any advice on sharpening up that emotional maturity?

This is slightly tongue in cheek, but not really. Every single thing I would use as an excuse to drink or self harm. I feel like a 5 year old. I always knew I was the type to stamp my feet if things didn't go my way but really I do think it may be time to grow up.

I reckon I'm not alone in this so does anyone have any tips on not feeling sorry for yourself all the time and wanting some kind of instant gratification to make yourself feel better? Any parents maybe...?

Thanks x
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Clean up the porridge, its easier than cleaning yourself up. If you're feeling emotionally stormy, take a walk, do something, changing your actions can help change your thoughts. I've been there a lot. I'm walking today. I knocked over a plant yesterday and broke my favorite pot, started to flip but cleaned it up and went out and bought a new one. About as mature as I can get right now. You take care, everthing passes, comes again, and passes again...My screen back ground of the Buddha meditating reads "Everything changes, nothing remains without change."
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm exactly at the same point as you. I just thought that emotional responses switch us back to that default position. Can't deal with this therefore I must drink. If we've been drinking for many years, it's going to take some time to build up mature responses because we are learning how to deal with our feelings properly.
I notice this especially when I'm dealing with my 16 year old daughter. I have to constantly stop myself from responding to her sulks by throwing an equal sized tantrum! It almost gets competitive, who can sulk for the longest!!?
Honestly, I can laugh about it now, but I'm just the same as her!
My thoughts are that this is a natural part of recovery. We will just get better at it as we grow emotionally. Recognising it is a problem does help, and you're not rushing back to the bottle. Your rational self tells you that won't clear up the porridge from the stove!
Be easy on yourself. We are just kids learning how to manage our emotions. It will get easier xxx
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, thanks guys. Y'know, I did clean up the porridge, and before I ate it too! I feel like I've already grown as a person
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Fitz said it all!