Notices

I Hope I'm Doing this Right

Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Hope I'm Doing this Right

Hi,

I'm new to this site, came across it over the weekend. My intent was to have Saturday be my first day without a drink, messed that up pretty good. Had beer and some schotch. Had the bright idea to finish the scotch last night, not such a great idea. Feeling pretty lousy today. Started really drinking after I go laid off from work and could not get back into my field. I did work until about a year ago, when I went back to school full time. I have been trying to make up for my lowered paid employment and now being in school full time by really working hard around the house and yard, you know to earn my keep. :-). I think my husband now takes it for granted. I have talked to him about it, no change. I feel I need to work on me, make quitting drinking a priority because I have no control of it any longer. I use excuses to drink but feel that I absolutely need to quit and need help doing so. I have read here that AA has helped many people. I want to give it a try. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Feeling pretty scared. Was also wondering how I could change my user name. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you recognize that drinking is causing you problems and that you want to live a sober life. My advice is to get rid of the alcohol in your house and don't buy anymore. Read around the forums and you will find lots of support and information.

Here is some info on various recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I can change your user name for you if you PM me with the new name.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you are here and that you are seeking support! It helps to be with others who know and understand what you are going through.

Best wishes,
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welocme to a place none of us thought we'd be.
i can relate to the excuses. thought a lot of em were original til i got into AA. but there came a point when i didnt need excuses any more. it( being me, the drinking/drugs, and everything about my existance) got a lot worse.
i suggest you find a meeting, go to it, dont be afraid to say you are new and want help, get phone numbers and a copy of the big book of alcoholics anonymous, and start reading it. if you find it is written about you, then i am willing to bet AA will be a great solution for ya! then go to another meeting, then another.sobriety rocks!!! i am living instead of existing and you can too!!! and iffen this ex drunk can do it, you can,too!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TomSteve,

I do feel like I am simply existing and want to start living too. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kirste View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this site, came across it over the weekend. My intent was to have Saturday be my first day without a drink, messed that up pretty good. Had beer and some schotch. Had the bright idea to finish the scotch last night, not such a great idea. Feeling pretty lousy today. Started really drinking after I go laid off from work and could not get back into my field. I did work until about a year ago, when I went back to school full time. I have been trying to make up for my lowered paid employment and now being in school full time by really working hard around the house and yard, you know to earn my keep. :-). I think my husband now takes it for granted. I have talked to him about it, no change. I feel I need to work on me, make quitting drinking a priority because I have no control of it any longer. I use excuses to drink but feel that I absolutely need to quit and need help doing so. I have read here that AA has helped many people. I want to give it a try. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Feeling pretty scared. Was also wondering how I could change my user name. Thanks.

What was the intention?
What really happened?
Who did it harm?

~

You can pm Anna for help with changing your user name.

~

I utilize the AA program. Feel free to PM me for help.
Come visit the 12 step alcoholism forum and step study sub forum. Lot's of good info and people there for sure.

You can research AA in your area. If you call the hotline, you can ask for a woman in AA to call you.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...Everybody is scared going to their first meeting...I was terrified...I learned two things in 10 months of going....I've met the nicest people I have have ever met in my life...That are just like me....And that I haven't had a drink since. I hope you try it. This is a great site to give you an overview of what to expect.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kirste View Post
TomSteve,

I do feel like I am simply existing and want to start living too. Thank you.
AWESOME!!!!!yeah, that sound crazy, but i'm glad you WANT to! it takes footwork, but good news!! none of its illegal and none of it will hurt ya!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to this site, we are a group of drunks on the road to healing and we all grab your hand and invite you along. I was afraid to attend a meeting, I didn't want anyone to know anything about me. You can find a meeting in your area by going to AA.ORG and search by zip code. I suggest that for your first meeting you go and just listen to how others share. Find a woman to mentor you-a "sponsor" who will show you how they did it. "If you want what we have do what we do." We care about you here, keep coming back!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you found us..there's a ton of support and information here. You can do it!!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sugarbear,

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone,

Thank you!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

Congrats on realizing that you need help.

Find a meeting and go, keep going, do what it suggested, and you will be amazed at the results!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Chloe and welcome!

It was all scary for me at first. I was scared to get sober, scared to post here, scared to tell anyone, etc..... I think it's totally normal to feel that way. Part of that is due to drinking, too - it increases your anxiety about everything.

Glad you found this forum - it's proof that there really is life after alcohol!:day6
Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chloe2 View Post
I feel I need to work on me, make quitting drinking a priority because I have no control of it any longer. I use excuses to drink but feel that I absolutely need to quit and need help doing so.
I think that's half the battle done right there

Welcome to SR Chloe...I'm sure you'll find lots of help here x
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Chloe - glad you've joined us

D