Notices

Kudzu

Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kudzu

I have just picked up this natural product "Kudzu", which is suppose to help supress your craving for alcohol. I am on day 2 and I truly have no cravings. It could be a mind over matter, and that I truly believe I am going to quit this time. Honestly, I don't care....as long as I can stay sober.
My kids deserve to have a sober Mom, who is not too tired, too preoccupied, too sick.

Has anyone else tried this? Have you had success with it?

I am focusing on one day at a time. Hoping for a bright and sober future.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used Kudzu when I was drinking to help me moderate. It helped me for a while and helped for hangovers. To help with cravings I have used HTP-5 Hydroxy tryptophan and St John's Wort. It may be a placebo effect but they both worked well for me.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend to everyone to check with your Dr before starting any supplements.

Many of them, even the natural herbal ones, can interfere with other medications, and they may not be suitable for you for any number of other reasons.

Best to let a professional give their advice.

D
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take an AA pill everyday and hang out here. It has kept me sober for nine months.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it will be better if you get professional advice
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kudzu and AA

I came upon your forum today as I was contemplating AA. It has helped me in the past but I never could make it past 14 days sober no matter how many meetings I attended. I met some of the best people at AA but I couldn't stop my cravings. I was losing hope but now I think I'm ready and with AA help I can be sober.
About a month ago, in desperation, I came across an advertising for drinklessnow The Last Call Program and was impressed with their information. However I balked at the price so I did some research and found out one of the ingredients they use is Kudzu, along with other stuff that I’m sure is proprietary. Anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose since the herbal supplement only costs $20 (they say to be careful which one you buy cuz some say Kudzu but don’t have much of the active ingredient.) If it helped in anyway, I would take it.
I tried to keep up a daily journal tracking the effects and also my personal/emotional issues (I’m going through some very trying times with my wife). I’m not ready to share the personal stuff but I did want to share the Kudzu effects in hopes that it might help someone. My journal recap is below.
Tuesday April 24th
I’ve decided to write a daily journal to track my progress while taking the Kudzu herbal supplement (Kudzu Recovery by Planetary herbals. I read the Kudzu Full Spectrum was better but I couldn’t find it at my local vitamin shops) . To recap, I started taking the Kudzu about a week and a half ago but not consistently. I did notice a difference in my response to alcohol since I started taking it, it’s difficult to explain, but my need to continuously put a drink up to my lips was not there. I still over drank two of the days but it seemed to take a lot longer to get to the point of irrationality where I compulsively keep drinking. Also, the buzz effect I get sometimes even after one drink was not there. I didn’t take the Kudzu consistently, even missed days, so I’m hoping to test these next two weeks taking it as they say, 2 pills after breakfast, 2 pills after lunch. I took it yesterday and I have noticed one of the side effects is that I don’t digest meals as quickly. It’s not quite heartburn, but like the food sits in your stomach. I had trouble sleeping and had stomach cramps in the middle of the night. I’m hoping this isn’t regular. I’m going to try to eat lighter at night to help alleviate.
3 weeks later – Tuesday May 15th.
It has been three weeks since I started taking Kudzu. The good news is I’ve only over drank 3 times, which might sound like a lot but this is good for me. I’ve been to cookouts, restaurants, and a soccer game and can honestly say that the urge to overdrink was greatly diminished. I have not been as consistent as I’d like taking the 2 pills after meals twice a day but the effects still remained. The only real side effect I have felt is indigestion, gas and a bloated feeling, like I’m not fully digesting. But I have been taking some Gas-ex and that seems to do the trick.
I’m going to keep taking it for the next two weeks and see if I can cutoff all drinking. It is not a magic pill, you still make the choice to drink or over drink, and there does seem to be a line I crossed on the 3 times I over drank, but I can honestly say it has changed the “need” to keep putting a drink to my lips.