Notices

confused: avrt vs aa

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sapling and Mark,
I could not do it alone either. It took a lot of friends and many of them here.

Let me be clearer on the message I am carrying Sapling. It is simply that if one part of a recovery program does not work for you but the rest does then do it without that part and recover. Take from each a piece and make it a whole to become whole again if that is what works for you.

And to be honest I believe that is what most of us do.

I also don't think doing the whole program of any program is bad if it works for you. Recovery plans are essential but that does not have to include or exclude formal programs like AA and AVRT.

But folks need to get real about doing everything including full disclosure with your Doc and local support.

Sapling, if you think that was tough think again. I also had the head shrink at the local VA tell me if I quit rehab I would never make it. They told me no one had. I went back a year later and calmly reminded the head of the program that I was the one they told that I would never make it. I wasn't doing it because of them either.

The message I carry is simply that one size only fits all of that size. There is nothing wrong with modifying a program if it makes it work better for you.

I liked AA because you can start slow and do as much or as little as you need. Rule 62.

R&A, I am not so sure it is allegorical, or not allegorical as claimed. Regardless, it is not for me, maybe another and glad for them, but not for me. I don't need a scapegoat, nor an excuse for my stupidity in getting myself addicted to alcohol. No devils or beasts, no angels and demons, no books to thump or be thumped by. Just a quiet space to be, and that being sober.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Itchy, it seems that you have found have found that quiet place, that's awesome.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Let me be clearer on the message I am carrying Sapling. It is simply that if one part of a recovery program does not work for you but the rest does then do it without that part and recover.
I think if you are talking about taking the 12 steps out of a 12 step program...That doesn't cut it. You may have sobered up with some sober AA's...But you didn't work the suggested program of recovery...I had too.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
The one thing I do know is that if "Stopping drinking makes life get better" is a AVRT premise, it never would have worked for me.
It isn't a premise. You are left in an abstinent state, for better or for worse, to sink or swim, and to fight for the good in life. By design, AVRT will identify this kind of bargain thinking, since it suggests that if life does not get better, that you might drink again, as the addictive voice itself.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
It isn't a premise. You are left in an abstinent state, for better or for worse, to sink or swim, and to fight for the good in life.
I think I'd rather just enjoy life...Rather than have to fight for anything.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

AVRT's not saying you should stay unhappy, nor does it say you should try to be happy. It's neutral. That's the whole point—drinking is not an option, ever. Happy, miserable, healthy, sick—none of that matters. You will not drink. There's nothing to stop you from seeking happiness through other channels, including religion, service, whatever. But happiness and fulfillment are not part of AVRT as I understand it—the sole focus is the addiction.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
But happiness and fulfillment are not part of AVRT as I understand it—the sole focus is the addiction.
Sounds like kind of a drag...I've had the obsession to drink lifted and the promises in that book come true....I know a new freedom and a new happiness.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Well, Sapling, I'm actually pretty happy with my life. That sounded a little like judgment though. Isn't there a step for that?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm not judging your life...I'm just responding to what you posted...I hope you are happy.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sapling I am not talking about taking anything out of anything for anybody else. If you are telling me that I can't take the steps out for me then that does not cut it for me. You see that worked for me. That does not invalidate what worked for you. I am not telling you to cut them out or include them. I leave that up to you. I don't care what steps you have taken or not, you have inspired me with many of your posts, you have helped many with your quiet voice. I would not dare criticize, nor presume to tell you what you should or should not do. Except to continue doing whatever is getting you your results, as I will continue mine.

For me dealing without drinking "long term" isn't quite accurate. In my mind, I have closed the door on that other life with alcohol. Permanently, with the help of my family and friends here and in the offline world. Permanently is good! Alcohol abuse? Been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt and the chips . . . time to move on, with a smile on my face and a light heart.

I am grateful for you!
You are part of the reason I am sober and getting my life back. Newcomer trying, or ten years sober, the power of worldwide support saying that they "got my back," well just contemplate that for a moments meditation.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm not judging your life...I'm just responding to what you posted...I hope you are happy.
lol, I hope you're not judging my life—I was offended enough to think you were judging my route out of addiction! It's all good though. And you raise a great point—someone looking for some kind of fulfillment or purpose along with abstinence should definitely think hard about 12-step programs, because AVRT is not a one-stop-shop for life in general.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Sapling I am not talking about taking anything out of anything for anybody else. If you are telling me that I can't take the steps out for me then that does not cut it for me. You see that worked for me. That does not invalidate what worked for you. I am not telling you to cut them out or include them. I leave that up to you. I don't care what steps you have taken or not, you have inspired me with many of your posts, you have helped many with your quiet voice. I would not dare criticize, nor presume to tell you what you should or should not do. Except to continue doing whatever is getting you your results, as I will continue mine.
I'm simply saying....The 12 steps are the program of Alcoholics Anonymous...I'm very happy that you are sober itchy....For myself...If I got sober without them....Then I didn't get sober with AA. Does that make sense?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this has been a really useful thread so I think we should try and lets keep things copacetic...

the way I see it there's room for AA, for AVRT, for all the other methods...and for cantankerous old gits like Itchy and me...

life would be hella boring if we were all the same

the aim should be recovery - I can't see anyone arguing about that...please? lol
D
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Not arguing....Just laying it on the table Dee.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

But if one of those LifeRing guys shows up, I say we jump him!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
...I am certain that you are hearing what you perceive to be the sound of my voice in your mind's ear as you read this very sentence, for example.
You got that right Yul.

"So let it be written, so let it be done"
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think I'd rather just enjoy life...Rather than have to fight for anything.
We reap what we sow, and I'd rather be able to fight. That damn booze reduced me to a helpless, sniveling weakling. Never Again.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Fight on...I'm done with this thread.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
AVRT is not a one-stop-shop for life in general.
For those of us not interested in a design for living, therein lies its appeal. I am nevertheless amazed sometimes at the ruthless efficiency of AVRT at exposing the addictive mentality, though. I noticed the AV embedded in Boleo's post instantly, with almost no effort, for example, but I very much doubt I would have been able to do so prior to learning AVRT. It took me a long while to 'get it', which is probably why I can explain it to others, but once incorporated into your thinking, it is an addiction killing device of the highest caliber.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

anyone remember john44 who posted for help?