Notices

confused: avrt vs aa

Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AVRT is a fit for me. It works perfectly and feels right.

At the same time, I will fully admit that I have a profound curiosity about AA - mostly just to try and understand it better. I think I was guilty of dismissing it out of hand without understanding it better.

With AVRT I am simply a non-drinker. I don't attend meetings. I don't work a 12 step program. I don't have a disease. I'm not even an alcoholic. I am simply a person that has decided that drinking alcohol is not for me.

AA is a different experience and would seem to be preferable to some. It is a fellowship - a club if you will. It is face to face support with regular meetings. The 12 steps would seem to enforce a fundamental change to the way you live your life. There is a spiritual or religious aspect to AA that is significant.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

buy the big book (AA)

http://www.amazon.com/Alcoholics-Ano...5795450&sr=8-1

and buy Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction (AVRT)

Amazon.com: Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction (9780671528584): Jack Trimpey: Books

both can be bought used for around 5 bucks (price of a 6-pack)

Read both with a very critical mind and decide for yourself which will work for you. I found that I can use techniques from both methods to help with my sobriety (as eJoshua said both are not necessarily mutually exclusive).
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I haven't "practiced" RR, AVRT, LifeRing or any of the other programs successfully. I've not even practiced them unsuccessfully (lol) other than I did pretty well at failing the "control my drinking" method. I hit AA out of the gates and stuck with it even though I didn't like it or believe in it at first.

Such as is my reality is, I try to just comment on what AA is, has been for me, and has been for ppl I know well enough to talk on their behalf. To ask me to compare it to AVRT is would be unfair to AVRT.

I can, however, give you an opinion on the difference but be forewarned, I've found opinions to be quite unreliable.

What I see as THE biggest difference between any 12-step based program and the non-12-step based ones is, simplistically, the first step in the 12-step programs: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable. IF I could quit drinking on a decision, make it stick forever and IF, when I did that I could totally mange my life to ongoing success......I wouldn't need to be in AA.

I honestly believe the quickest and best way to determine which is best for you is to actually try them or pick one and give it a run. And I get it, I'm allllll about investigating heavily before I make a choice. In this case though, it's easier to pick up a fork and have a taste than it is to get someone to explain the differences between chocolate and vanilla.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
DayTrader is correct. You can go back and forth over all sorts of secondary things, but IMO, the key factor is that the underlying premises of AA and AVRT are literally pulling in opposite directions. On some level, the logic of AVRT and of AA is actually quite similar, but with different interpretations, which might help clarify the disconnect.

AA:
Any thinking that contradicts the premise of the steps (Step 1) is the voice of your disease (ie, your disease talking).

Example: "My disease is telling me that I am not powerless and that I can stop working the steps."
AVRT:
Any thinking that contradicts your Big Plan for permanent abstinence is your Addictive Voice (ie, your Beast talking).

Example: "My AV is telling me that I am powerless, and that it is just a matter of time until I drink again."

Some will disagree with me, but I would argue that it is more effective to investigate both, and to then choose one or the other, at least at first, rather than trying to arbitrarily mix and match. At the very least, one should be well aware of the premises that drive each method, and their implications. Since the underlying axioms are pulling in opposite directions, you may end up trying to go forward and in reverse at the same time, undermining both methods. In that scenario, 1 + 1 will not equal 2.

Haphazardly picking and choosing is kind of like not understanding diesel engines, but taking some parts from a diesel engine, some parts from a petrol engine, and putting them together to build your own engine. Then, when the parts don't fit, using some duct tape to hold them together. Now, if you know how to take apart and rebuild both a diesel and a petrol engine, that's a different story, and you might indeed be quite able to mix and match without blowing up the engine.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

TU, I read on the secular forum that you had some links to good sites for AVRT and RR, could you send them to me please.

Many Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The big difference I experienced between the program of AA and RR was one of loss of volition vs free will.

In AA it was suggested that when it came to alcohol, I had lost the power of choice. My experience with drinking was that indeed my life was out of control. The question that came to my mind was: did alcohol strip me of my free will to stop drinking. I can interpret my experience with alcohol to fit the AA paradigm. I can also interpret my experience with alcohol otherwise. I am free to select a POV of alcoholism one way or the other. I choose to view my experience with drinking as one where I did indeed have a choice.

RR is more in line with an understanding that life is full of choices, drinking alcohol included. I in fact did make the choice to drink as well as drug when to do so would cause havoc beyond belief in my life and the in the lives of other around me. I am personally responsible, because of my choices, for putting alcohol and drugs in my system. My choices were influenced, not commanded by what I have no clue about. Could it be something that would turn me into a puppet, causing me to drink against my will? I just don't see it that way.

Yes the influences that can cause me to drink/drug can be Very very powerful, but not all powerful. Ahaa, all powerful. If I choose to view my alcoholism was controlled by an all powerful force, one so powerful that taking a drink was out of my control, I can see the need to have an all powerful to force to bring me out of drinking. However that reality is to rapped up in the magical mystical realm of the fantastic for me.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post

AA:
Any thinking that contradicts the premise of the steps (Step 1) is the voice of your disease (ie, your disease talking).

Example: "My disease is telling me that I am not powerless and that I can stop working the steps."
AVRT:
Any thinking that contradicts your Big Plan for permanent abstinence is your Addictive Voice (ie, your Beast talking).

Example: "My AV is telling me that I am powerless, and that it is just a matter of time until I drink again."
I didn't think to say it that way but well said.

To those who happen across this thread, those differences above are what, from what I've seen, lead to most of the AA / non-AA tension around on SR. One group says you absolutely can and must stop whereas the other is saying you absolutely can't and won't. ......lol...... that someone like me who's pretty hard-core AA and someone like TU who'd pretty hard-core RR can be friends here, agree with one another, compliment one-another's posts by adding constructively to a conversation or by not commenting at all......... goes to show that the two groups CAN get and work together.

When AA folks ask/say to non-AA's, "What does your sponsor say, did you pray about it, of course it didn't work because you haven't surrendered" it's as "insulting" to their program as it is when they say "Don't need God to recover, commit to quitting and don't drink again, your life gets better when you stop" to someone in AA.

Nobody asked for that opinion but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Quitter

Some good info here. I only know a little about each program.

I can't imagine myself saying that I have no responsibility in my drinking or no power as a person over my decision. That is so foreign a concept to me. So it would seem that avrt would make more sense for me.

Although I don't think I really want to be involved with a program either way. I just want to be an individual and stop self destructing my life.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by JustARide View Post
.... it would seem that avrt would make more sense for me. I don't think I really want to be involved with a program either way. I just want to be an individual and stop self destructing my life.
AVRT is not so much a formal program as it is a body of knowledge — a paradigm for understanding addiction, and a method for defeating it. The RR philosophy is essentially "learn AVRT, then get lost." On the RR forums, the mods actually tell you not to hang around any longer than necessary, and when your subscription runs out, you don't get a message asking you to come back. Moving on to independent living is part of the ethos.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I didn't think to say it that way but well said.
Well, it helps in that I have seen, experienced, and understand both paradigms.

When AA folks ask/say to non-AA's, "What does your sponsor say, did you pray about it, of course it didn't work because you haven't surrendered" it's as "insulting" to their program as it is when they say "Don't need God to recover, commit to quitting and don't drink again, your life gets better when you stop" to someone in AA.
This, too, is well said.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

On the RR forums, the mods actually tell you not to hang around any longer than necessary, and when your subscription runs out, you don't get a message asking you to come back. Moving on to independent living is part of the ethos.
I always wondered about that...In AA it's part of the program to share the gift of contented sobriety that was so freely given to you with the new sick and suffering alcoholic...It's very rewarding...And I think it's what makes the whole thing work so well.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Quitter

AVRT is not so much a formal program as it is a body of knowledge — a paradigm for understanding addiction, and a method for defeating it. The RR philosophy is essentially "learn AVRT, then get lost." On the RR forums, the mods actually tell you not to hang around any longer than necessary, and when your subscription runs out, you don't get a message asking you to come back. Moving on to independent living is part of the ethos.
Okay thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in spending money though...on subscriptions, books, dvd's...some of it is very expensive. I'd be interested in learning more beyond the "crash course" if it were free.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think there is another fundamental difference in approach between AA and AVRT.

AA says - in order to get sober, you must have a spiritual awakening first. You have to fix those character defects.

AVRT says - get sober first, and then have your spiritual awakening thingy if you think that will help.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I can't imagine myself saying that I have no responsibility in my drinking or no power as a person over my decision. That is so foreign a concept to me. So it would seem that avrt would make more sense for me.
You're doing the same thing I did... there's no denial of responsibility in AA. Quite the contrary actually but the explanation of the concepts is really beyond this thread and probably best left to a discussion in the 12-Step area of this site for those who are really looking into AA.

LOW LOW bottom alcoholics have and easy time with it right off the bat. Higher bottom ppl like me struggle(d) with the concept as you just did: what about responsibility, I always had a choice when I picked up, how can I be powerless over something I'm not bodily forced to do, etc?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm not really interested in spending money though...on subscriptions, books, dvd's...some of it is very expensive. I'd be interested in learning more beyond the "crash course" if it were free.
I'm going to respond to this simply because I often get messages along these very lines. A quick check on Amazon shows a used copy of the RR book available for $1.34, and a new copy for $4.56. If you can't afford that, then you probably can't afford your next six pack, either. The AVRT threads here on SR cover a lot of information, and they are free. It is entirely up to you, though.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I think there is another fundamental difference in approach between AA and AVRT.

AA says - in order to get sober, you must have a spiritual awakening first. You have to fix those character defects.

AVRT says - get sober first, and then have your spiritual awakening thingy if you think that will help.
I'm not real sure I buy that...I had to get sober to work the steps...I actually haven't had a drink since I went to my first meeting. I heard it put like this one time.....AA won't get you into Heaven...And it won't keep you out of Hell...But it will keep you sober long enough that you can make the choice for yourself.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'm going to respond to this simply because I often get messages along these very lines. A quick check on Amazon shows a used copy of the RR book available for $1.34, and a new copy for $4.56. If you can't afford that, then you probably can't afford your next six pack, either.
That made me chuckle.....

If you can't afford that, you can't afford the computer, phone or whatever you're using to connect to the internet with.....or the gas in the car/ fare for the bus to get to the library to read this post on the free computers there!

AA's big book is online for free (assuming you can get on the internet) at Big Book Online Fourth Edition, about $4 used on Amazon, about $9 new, or.......at a lot of meetings they'll toss you a new one for free (I've given a handful of them away myself).

No commitment to buy much of anything in either program.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Quitter

I'm going to respond to this simply because I often get messages along these very lines. A quick check on Amazon shows a used copy of the RR book available for $1.34, and a new copy for $4.56. If you can't afford that, then you probably can't afford your next six pack, either. The AVRT threads here on SR cover a lot of information, and they are free. It is entirely up to you, though.
When I was on their website they were selling a book for about $30 and sets of dvd's for $300 - $500...and I saw they charged like $30 a month to use their forums. So although I like their "crash course" pitch...I was kind of turned off by the prices.

You are right though, obviously if they are that cheap on amazon I could afford it if I wanted to. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Quitter

You're doing the same thing I did... there's no denial of responsibility in AA. Quite the contrary actually but the explanation of the concepts is really beyond this thread and probably best left to a discussion in the 12-Step area of this site for those who are really looking into AA.

LOW LOW bottom alcoholics have and easy time with it right off the bat. Higher bottom ppl like me struggle(d) with the concept as you just did: what about responsibility, I always had a choice when I picked up, how can I be powerless over something I'm not bodily forced to do, etc?
You are right that there are probably misconceptions I have. I admittedly don't know much about it. I'll take a look at the big book online just for curiosity.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Josh I am with you. Well said and succinctly put. I took what I could use and left the rest. Like membership in a particular church, for some the dogma is the thing. For me not. It seems many pick over terminology and muse about the metaphysics of sobriety. For some putting a rubber band on their wrist and snapping it for aversion therapy works. Not for me. I used a lot of AA in the first three months, a lot of REBT as I was a trained counselor for it in the 80's and AVRT seems to have borrowed a great deal from Mr. Albert Ellis, and most lastingly used SR and my friends here.

Lots of folks make it with just SR and their Doc. I am in that group now.