Notices

Starting to get harder again....

Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Did you ran the bulls,Stream? Ooooh... that is quite dangerous....
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

You know....it would help if I pay attention, Mariano.

Sounds like a substitute for a bloody mary - that's why those taste so good after a hangover.

I will definitely try it. But, still sounds good for winter, too...winter camping we have to hydrate as well!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Yes - Ran with the bulls. For 2 years I roamed around Europe with a back pack. I was young, drunk and stupid. Now I am settled down and no longer young or drunk.

Do I peel the tomatoes first or liquify with skins on? I want to get it right.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Well, in fact we usually dont peel them. But you have to use a strainer. I will copy a more detailed explanation:

By David Rosengarten
It is high gazpacho season once again… and time once again for me to go highly ballistic about how messed-up our gazpacho-making is in America!

Walk into a tapas bar in Sevilla, at the center of the Andalusian gazpacho tradition, and you will likely find a pitcher on the bar that looks like it contains cantaloupe smoothies. If you order gazpacho, they will pour you a glass of this miraculous, creamy-velvety stuff, more suggestive of harvest-season vegetables than the vegetables themselves. There can be other serving methods–but the straight pour in the glass is the real deal gazpacho thing.
In the U.S., not only do we think it has to be in a bowl, with an elaborate satellite system of sprinkle-ons–HAVE IT YOUR WAY!!!–but the gazpacho itself usually has a fatal flaw. Nine out of ten I see in America are like cold tomato soup, with the tomato pulp co-existing in the bowl with the runny tomato water.
This is not gazpacho! Gazpacho is smooth! It was invented eons ago as a way of re-cycling stale bread–which was pounded with olive oil and vegetables to make a smooth soup. The two things we almost always leave out in America are the stale bread (CARBS!) and the olive oil (FAT!)–thereby missing the essence of the dish.
I want you to see the difference and have included a killer gazpacho recipe below. But, in order to know its highest high, you need two things that the ancient gazpacho inventors never had:
1) The Vita-Mix, or Vita-Prep, the greatest, most pulverizing blender in any chef’s kitchen; and
2) A very fine strainer, not chinois-fine, but quite fine. I like the strainers made by Anolon.
And now you’re ready for The Gazpacho Experience:
Gazpacho in a Pitcher
For best results: Puree vegetables in Vita-Mix and strain soup through Anolon cone strainer.
Makes 4 cocktail servings
1 ounce stale Italian or French bread with crust
1/2 lb. ripe tomatoes, stems removed
1/4 lb. onion
1/4 lb. cucumber
1/4 lb. green bell pepper
1/4 lb. red bell pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon vinegar de Jerez
Directions:
1. Break the bread into large chunks, place chunks in a bowl, and cover with cold water (about 1 1/2 cups). Soak until the bread is fairly soft, but not mushy, about 1-2 minutes. Squeeze the water out of the bread with your hands, and place bread in the container of the Vita-Mix.
2. Cut tomatoes into large cubes (you should have about 1 1/2 cups), and add to container.
3. Peel the onion, and cut into large dice (you should have about 1 cup). Add onion to container.
4. Peel the cucumber and cut in half the long way. Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, and discard seeds. Cut cucumber into large dice (you should have about 2/3 cup), and add to container.
5. Remove the stems and seeds from the green bell pepper and the red bell pepper. Cut each into large dice (you should have about 1 cup of diced green pepper, and about 1 cup of diced red pepper). Add cut peppers to the container.
6. Add olive oil and sherry vinegar. Turn Vita-Mix on at low speed, then ratchet up to high. Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth and velvety, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, then blend on high for a few seconds more.
7. Pour the gazpacho through the Analon Cone Strainer into glasses, or into a pitcher. Push gazpacho through the strainer with a spatula or wooden spoon. But it is important that you do not force through every last drop; leave the last bits of bread-y sediment behind in the strainer. Discard periodically. And don’t scrape the gazpacho film that’s on the bottom of the strainer into the finished gazpacho; simply clean your strainer under cold running water every few minutes, washing off the gazpacho film into the sink.

I dont know that Vita-Mix, but you can use any liquidizer (or do you say "blender"?). You can use also any strainer, not very fine. This is to strain the pulp of the vegetables. Some people add some water and some not. I think it is good adding a little of water, not very much. Or serve it with ice cubs. Mmmm!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

LOVE GAZPACHO! THanks Mariano! I can't wait to make this with some beautiful olive oil on top. yummmm

We were in Spain 2 summers ago. Heavenly. But dang, Sevilla is hot as heck!! We made the mistake of walking through in mid-afternoon while everything was closed and nearly died of dehydration - LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Perfect. I can't wait until my garden produces tomatoes, peppers and cukes.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Sevilla is hot as heck!! We made the mistake of walking through in mid-afternoon while everything was closed and nearly died of dehydration

Ooh, I'm afraid walking in midafternoon in Sevilla was not a very good idea. Everybody is having a nap then.

Perfect. I can't wait until my garden produces tomatoes, peppers and cukes.

You can keep it in the fridge two or three days, and have it as a soft drink at any time. I used gazpacho against hangover Never more, I hope. But it is very good also in early sobriety. I think it is important to use olive oil of good quality (extra virgin, preferably) and not other kind of oil
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sorry Squishy. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Got a little excited about the soup.
You take care and push that bottle away.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

You all are wonderful and I love you talking on my thread!

Song I love please listen to it if you can online: Alanis Morissette-Not As We
Reborn and shivering
Settled on new terrain
Unsure, unkind, insane
It's faint and shaken

Chorus:

Day one, day one
Start over again
Step one, step one
I'm barely making sense
For now I'm faking it
'Til I'm psuedo-making it
From scratch, begin again
But this time I as I
And not as we

Verse 2:

Gun-shy and shivering
Tear it without a hand
Feign brave but still intent
Little and hardly here

Chorus:

Day one, day one
Start over again
Step one, step one
I'm barely making sense
For now I'm faking it
But this time I as I
And not as we

Eyes wet toward wide open fright,
If God is taking bias, I pray he wants to lose,

Chorus:

Day one, day one
Start over again
Step one, step one
I'm barely making sense
For now I'm faking it
But this time I as I
And not as we
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good Morning Squishy!!!!! Day 4, yes?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Anyway, Squishy, dont quit quitting.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yes Buelah, on to day 4 woohoo!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

:ghug3 SUPER!!!!! You made me smile! See, WE all can do this.

We have a great group!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hope you all are feeling great this morning Day 4 for me as well We can do this!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Yeah Tuesday! Day 4 is not any easier just yet, but we are getting there right? WOOHOO
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Mariano - YUM! I love gazpacho! I have some simple gazpacho in my fridge right now. I will have to try your recipe though. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

OK, glad to see everybody is doing good. For some reason, I was afraid any of you had slipped yesterday. Congratulations on day 4 for Tuesday and Squishy. You are beginning to leave behind the worst days of early sobriety. Usually, from day 7 onwards, things get much better.

Buelah, I can see you are on day 7. Wooh, that is starting to work!! Each day a little better.

I have been today on the psychiatrist. God, that is a great help! I would recommend everybody to see a psychiatrist or therapist.They can help to see your underlying problems and why are you drinking. This is not always obvious. They can help you to cope and overcome those underlying problems that lead to drink.

In respect of gazpacho, I have copied a recipe, but I think that perhaps it has too much onion and cucumber. I usually do it with a little less of onion and cucumber (so it wouldn't be so strong), and with some more tomato. It depends on you, but you may try to modify the quantities, until you are satisfied. Here, everybody has his own particular way to do it.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

So my dear friends - here we are again and I'm in the middle (not even yet) of my day dreaming/dreading of the weekend. I made a pact, but I am stumbling over my loss of control. All the thoughts that go through my head - why not one more weekend, what's the big deal, last big holiday of the summer, blah blah blah. I don't want to be in the July class! And I couldn't believe that today would be tougher than all the other days...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Squishy -- like your signature says ..... just breathe.
The desire for a drink will pass. It really will.
I had to keep myself very busy early in or else I'm sure I wouldn't have made it.
Make some plans with some sober friends.
I didn't have any friends so I started attending AA and made some.

You can do this!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thank you PaperDoll - its hard when your hubby and his entire family drink. I don't have any family here and haven't for 20 years, so I am usually celebrating with others. It will be tough, I'm determined right now.